1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Kiper Chat 2/15/12 - Cowboys Related questions...

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Risen Star, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,374 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I think we'll get another Safety in FA.

I still think we'll either go CB, LB, or OG in Round 1.
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,793 Messages
    875 Likes Received
    They arent drafting Barron at 14. I dont want CB or S at 14 but if you have to take one, go CB. A non play making S is not a premium position, Barron while an up grade I dont see as a play maker. Problem with alot of guys at 14, some what of an upgrade but not a difference maker.
  3. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I see what you're saying Sam, lol.

It's beyond me how he lucked himself into 12 interceptions and 34 passes defensed in basically three seasons as a starter when he was "always late to the ball."

[youtube]RUpCHIkvckc[/youtube]
  4. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    RS, c'mon maaaayne?

If 12 interceptions, 34 passes defensed, 5.5 sacks, and 13 TFL does not constitute being a "playmaker," then what does?

*That's with him being a starter effectively for three seasons.

I'm not by any means advocating taking him at #14, there will likely be far too many better prospects available at that spot. However, in the right scenerio, after a tradedown in the 1st, he wouldn't be a bad player.

We can't keep addressing our safety position with also-rans.
  5. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,576 Messages
    528 Likes Received
    He's definitely a playmaker. With good instincts.

But again, I'm wondering if he's athletic enough to get the job done in the pros. Playing on such a good defense is a great plus (he's obviously smart, pro-ready) and a great minus (was the sum greater than the parts?) and makes his evaluation kinda tricky
  6. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,654 Messages
    685 Likes Received
    It's funny to hear people say such good things about Barron when some people on the forum thing he'll be a terrible player.
  7. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I wouldn't expect Barron to be much different than Kenny Phillips in the athleticism department. I think they're very similiar players.

That is to say not a mind-blowing combine busting athlete, but a more than adequate athleticism for his size. Bunting just put out an article regarding what to look for in a safety and he said (IIRC) anywhere from 4.5 to 4.55 range is adequate. He emphasized instincts over raw athleticism.
  8. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,273 Likes Received
    I wouldn't mind Barron as a later pick , but from watching him weekly the last couple of years , he will struggle on coverage . He reminds me of Roy Williams . Alabama's pass rush has helped him look better as a playmaker and coverage guy than he really is . Ryan may like these in-the -box safeties for certain situations .
  9. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Lol, I'm not surprised by much on the board.

I stopped being shocked by what people observed during Roy Williams' (the safety) last few seasons with the team when it was blatantly obvious he was a huge liability in coverage, but folks were saying otherwise right unto the bitter end.

Then it was small contingent of fans claiming Roy Williams (the receiver) was actually playing well and that apparently he just needed two years to "get in sync" with Tony Romo. Not to mention, the claims that $8 million dollars for a glorified 3rd WR wasn't actually that bad of a deal.

Most recently, it was the Roy W. (#31) apologetic all over again, but this time for Terence Newman.

I'm never shocked....