1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Kiper: Early impact from Rounds 4-7

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Risen Star, May 2, 2012.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,832 Messages
    10,124 Likes Received
    Lamar Miller, Danny Coale, Alameda Ta'amu among early-impact players

Last year, one of the incredible stories of the draft was how much production we saw from the fifth round. Take a look -- Round 5 was pretty remarkable when you put it in context. Karl Klug and Pernell McPhee combined for 13.0 sacks as interior linemen. T.J. Yates started and won a playoff game. Denarius Moore had some huge days for Oakland, and Richard Sherman played cornerback at a Pro Bowl level for a solid stretch of the season in Seattle.

Every single one of these guys had obvious holes on draft day. That's the blunt assessment you'll hear from teams drafting in Rounds 4-7. There's plenty of talent, but whether it's health, size, lack of speed or glaring weaknesses in a technical aspect of the game, teams are hoping it pans out, but rarely expecting major impact.

Still, the odds tell us we'll find plenty from this range. So let's take a look at some guys who could play key roles, even as rookies. Remember, there's a lot of projection here, as not one of these guys is currently penciled in to start.

[IMG]
    Danny Coale could be productive for the Cowboys.

Offense

WR Danny Coale, Cowboys
    He started 54 games at Virginia Tech and his hands are as good as any player in the draft. Guys like Coale look like overachievers because of lack of top-end speed, but he's a master at angles, working the sidelines and corners to become a consistently open target. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he developed into a reliable third option after Dez Bryant and Miles Austin.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draf...lamar-miller-danny-coale-impact-players-day-3
  2. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,711 Messages
    144 Likes Received
    Awesome, I'm very excited about this kid.
  3. Risen Star

22,832 Messages
    10,124 Likes Received
    Here's his 1st round impact list....

When doing the NFL draft grades every year, I try not to put too much emphasis on what kind of immediate impact a player will have. Impact isn't as based on player evaluation and has a lot more to do with personnel. Obviously, when teams fill big needs, you're likelier to see impact with those picks, and I make needs a part of the analysis. But maximizing value is key for me.

If the Colts had selected Andrew Luck with Peyton Manning set to be on the roster for one more year, the pick would still have been a good one, even if Luck didn't throw a pass in 2012.

Last year, 17 of the 32 first-round picks started or played in at least 15 games. There was major impact. Let's take a look at the first round and players I believe can have an early impact on their teams (I'll get to Rounds 2-3 and 4-7 over the next two days).

Defense

Morris Claiborne
    Dallas clearly had "2012 impact" in mind when they dealt up for Claiborne. Why do I think he'll be good early when so many top corners go through NFL growing pains? For one, the presence of Brandon Carr will take heat off Claiborne. This season wouldn't be as promising if he were thrown immediately on either side of the formation to work against a No. 1 wideout. Also, while people saw last year's top corner, Patrick Peterson, struggle a lot early on, it should be noted that Claiborne is actually a better pure cover corner. This guy is as ready as they come.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draf...uck-robert-griffin-iii-round-1-impact-players
  4. Risen Star

22,832 Messages
    10,124 Likes Received
  5. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,217 Messages
    2,849 Likes Received
    Thanks RS. I appreciate the info. I don't have insider, so I'd have missed it if you didn't post it.
  6. Risen Star

22,832 Messages
    10,124 Likes Received
    No problem, man. You have to like Mel saying Coale's hands are as good as any in the draft.
  7. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,496 Messages
    6,049 Likes Received
    i just hope he can get separation at the next level.
  8. Risen Star

22,832 Messages
    10,124 Likes Received
    That's the concern. It sure doesn't look like he plays to his 40 time.
  9. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    Patrick Crayton got plenty of separation and so does Jason Witten.

He'll have to be a technician at route running.
  10. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,217 Messages
    2,849 Likes Received
    Yeah, I loved hearing that. Requirement #1 for a WR, IMO.

I think he will be able to, although only time will tell. Running excellent routes will do the trick most of the time, and Coale will be going against the 3rd/4th CB's a lot, so he should be able to find a crease or two.
  11. Joshmvii

Joshmvii Cowboys baby!

2,659 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Getting open in the NFL is so much more about route running and understanding the defense you're going against than it is athleticism. Jason Witten is not as fast as Dez Bryant, but he gets open a lot more. Also, Jerry Rice was the slow guy coming in to the NFL. It sure didn't stop him.

Please keep in mind I'm not saying a 5th round pick is going to be anything like those guys, I'm just saying, speed alone doesn't get you open in the NFL, other than once or twice a game if you're fast enought to just straight outrun everybody on a fly pattern.
  12. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,056 Messages
    2,297 Likes Received
    Same.. I like the UDFA Hakeem too. He has some ability.
  13. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,056 Messages
    2,297 Likes Received
    Exactly. You have to be able to read coverages like a Quarterback. If you can't do that then you better be one freak of an athlete and the coach can just tell you where to go (like Dez).

The 3rd WR is the guy though that REALLY has to read coverages well. I think thats why Crayton and Romo had so much success together. Craytons college QB background helped him out.
  14. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,826 Messages
    153 Likes Received

How would Mel know....did he have them take turns running their hands through his flowing mane?:eek:
  15. Risen Star

22,832 Messages
    10,124 Likes Received
    You can't compare Witten to a WR like Coale. Witten's not being defended by a cornerback on a regular basis. I'm sure Danny can separate from LBs and Ss.

Jerry Rice wasn't slow. He had great football speed.