1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Kiper getting owned... LOL

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by metalichris, Apr 1, 2006.

1. metalichris

metalichris New Member

72 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I was looking for the Kiper mock draft that just hit ESPN today and came across this.

http://www.slate.com/id/104163/

BTW...did anyone catch it? I just missed him telling who Dallas was going to draft. He's probably wrong, but I am curious.
  2. Hiero

Hiero New Member

3,075 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Dallas is gonna draft jason allen in thefirst my ***. what aloser, this guy is the most unreliable source on the web.
  3. peppersquad

peppersquad Member

382 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Goose really is THE best in the business.
  4. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

39,608 Messages
    1,869 Likes Received
    He's in the same boat with Tv and Radio personalities trying to influence fans to agree with their stupid opinions. Luckily fans are smarter than that.
  5. Jimz31

Jimz31 The Sarcastic One

14,242 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    Has he come out with a mock yet? I haven't been paying much attention to the mock drafts yet.
  6. MONT17

MONT17 New Member

3,269 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    anyone have a feeling Jerry will trade up? there r true playmakers that could fall to 10... I know trading down is JERRYs thing but to add a player like VD to this O would be a once in alife time shot!!!

as far as Kiper his complete bashing of Q CARTER caused Jerry and the Boys to be the laughing stock of the NFL... and most casual Cowboy fans bought every word he said and the backlash of his draft status! I'm not saying CARTER was great but he was better than people gave him crdit... and should have been looked at as the BACKUP who can win games and not the guy who is the FUTURE!!!
  7. BHendri5

BHendri5 Well-Known Member

3,258 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    Years ago Kiper proved to me he was a bum and do not know what he is talking about. He does and did all that research on the athletes, that stuff means nothing. Stats, can not give you a good reading on a players heart and his mental state, (attitude).

There are so many athletes that comes thru the draft, yes, Kiper will hit right on some, but if you had in the past or even now listen to him he misses more than he hits on the really big names in the draft. Now days he backtracks when he is wrong.

The first time I noticed he was a bunch of empty research and talk, was in the 89 draft, then he missed a lot in the 90, the draft when Bledsoe and Mirer came out, Leaf and Manning, I laugh now everytime he speaks.

I wish I could go head to head with him and his research, all I would need to do is watch film. We could pick 20,30, 40,50, players and go head to head, him with his research and me just from watching film.

I know I would spank.
  8. jksmith269

jksmith269 Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995

3,898 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The statement in bold is a flat out lie. Many, many players who come out early return to get their degree, and I really doubt any player puts too much stock in mock drafts or guides. The only person they normally listen to is family and sadly their agents who over hype the player.

I Don't care for Kipers "big board" but he's doing what he's paid to do, and he shouldn't be blamed for any player being drafted where they are nor should he receive credit if a player is taken b4 he should be taken.
  9. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy Well-Known Member

32,183 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    Who the heck is Mel Kiper Jr. anyway?
  10. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,044 Messages
    2,945 Likes Received
    No offense, but Kiper did not cause that. Every media person who reports on the Draft, independant of Mel Kiper, panned that selection as a reach and a bad move. Kiper said it on TV and most of them saw it, but believe it or not, these guys do think for themselves. Furthermore, he was right (they all were), so he should be acknowledged for that, not panned.
  11. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,542 Messages
    5,465 Likes Received
    Actually Bryan Curtis (the writer) has this all wrong. Kiper hates to put out mock drafts. He is into information gathering and ranking players. ESPN put the pressure on him to come up with his mocks. He admits he isn't great at them either.

Kiper does a pretty decent job and is better than this writer portrays him. Rick Gosselin is the best at mock drafts that is true. It really isn't fair to compare the two because they don't specialize in the same thing.
  12. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I'm sorry, but Joel Buchbaum (sp) was the best. Kiper couldn't carry Joel's eraser. I miss Joel Reports.:(
  13. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,232 Messages
    4,554 Likes Received
    Mandarich...nuff said.:D
  14. big dog cowboy

51,542 Messages
    5,465 Likes Received
    Well that is true. I almost always bought his draft preview. I miss his reports also.
  15. Cowboys&Caps

Cowboys&Caps New Member

1,701 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    honestly though who needed this article to know that Kiper isn't very good?

We all know he stinks
  16. big dog cowboy

51,542 Messages
    5,465 Likes Received
    He doesn't stink. He isn't perfect but he is pretty good at what he does.
  17. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

2,890 Messages
    389 Likes Received
    to give credit where credit is due. kiper is a big reason why the draft is no longer done in privet and the fans hear about it the next day. he is a big part of turning the event into what it is. there is a difference in a mock like goose does that is what he thinks teams "will" do, and what kiper does and list what he thinks teams should do.he is wrong alot like most others but he has been a huge part of turning the draft into a super event
  18. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,044 Messages
    2,945 Likes Received
    I agree. I'm not looking for any "draftnik" to tell me with 100% accuracy who is going where.

I'm looking for someone who can tell me the positives and negatives of a player and give me a fairly reasonable sense of his worth.
  19. big dog cowboy

51,542 Messages
    5,465 Likes Received
    That is what Kiper can do. And he is good at it.

His mocks (again not his speciality) are usually wrong after some of the obvious top picks.

Side note: I'll take Kiper any day over Joey T. I hope he isn't on ESPN's draft coverage team this year.
  20. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,029 Messages
    1,125 Likes Received
    He may not stink but he's overrated. He's overrated in that most casual fans think he's THE source for draft info. Perhaps that was true a decade ago, but not today.