1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Kiper: Midseason NFL draft preview....

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Risen Star, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Western

Western Active Member

112 Messages
    60 Likes Received
    Fair enough.
    However, it is a young man's game and most alarming is that Romo's physical and skill set is diminishing.

Quality organizations 'bite the bullet' and transition into a new era with a drafted young QB.
  2. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,867 Messages
    195 Likes Received
    I agree that the standard/goal should be winning super bowls and I agree that teams need a franchise QB to even compete for one. I'll even admit that if I had to decide now, I'd say that Romo isn't that guy.

However, I'd prefer to wait until one falls in our lap. Reaching for a guy, or trading up for a QB sets teams back when they are wrong. Every few years, a good one falls. Not long shots like Brady, Bulger and Romo, but guys like Andy Dalton in round 2 (2011), Aaron Rogers with the 24th pick (2005), Matt Schuab in round 3 (2004), and Drew Brees in round 2 (2001).

Guys will be there for the taking and can be had without setting the team back.
  3. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,812 Messages
    273 Likes Received
    Right about now I wish Garrett got his wish and we landed Dalton. Cincy got their franchise QB in the 2nd.
  4. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,867 Messages
    195 Likes Received
    Would Andy Dalton make us a better team now? I personally don't think so.

And while teams in the top half of the draft reach for QBs like crazy, the teams in the bottom half normally pass due to trying to win now. That is how guys like Dalton drop and why I'm not in a rush to draft one early.
  5. Shotgun Dave

Shotgun Dave Active Member

1,399 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    Based on WHAT exactly have you determined this? I'd say to have had the success he has had running for his life back there he's in pretty great shape. A less physical QB would be dead in weeks.