1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Kiper's all rookie team...

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Risen Star, Jan 14, 2013.

1. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,864 Messages
    2,342 Likes Received
    it does mean he was not worth using your 1st AND 2nd round picks on when the team had dire needs on OL and DL
  2. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,917 Messages
    1,505 Likes Received
    No, it doesn't. That existed already even before the draft. Claiborne not making Kiper's all-rookie team has no bearing on that.
  3. visionary

7,864 Messages
    2,342 Likes Received
    of course not

the fact that there were at least 2 CBs, taken much later, that played better than the one we traded up for in the top of the first round has no bearing on anything, esp on our front office, talent evaluation, draft valuations, no bearing on anything
  4. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,260 Messages
    4,584 Likes Received
    Funny thing is I don't know that RGIII is even the best rookie on his own team.

I think you could make a legit and strong argument that Alfred Morris could be in the conversation of being the OROY.
  5. joseephuss

21,917 Messages
    1,505 Likes Received
    That isn't what I said. You are taking a short sighted view on this. Those guys played better this year. Careers are much more than one single season. Were you one of the guys who thought Merriman was better than Ware after one single season? And Dallas top priorities were offensive line last draft. That existed no matter if Claiborne made Kiper's list or not. If Claiborne was the rookie of the year, it still didn't solve the Cowboys offensive line holes. Kiper's list has no bearing on that.
  6. visionary

7,864 Messages
    2,342 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

the usual attempts at distraction from the issue

yes, the OL was the real prority in the last draft and perhaps if we had not fallen in love with a CB who was not even the best CB is that draft class, we may have actually been able to address that need adequately

Kiper's list is one more piece of evidence that there were at least as good, if not better, CBs available much later in the draft and if we had a front office that knew how to run a draft we could have addressed both issues
  7. Diogenes

Diogenes Active Member

1,200 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Vontaze Burfict. Wow. Now there's a riches to rags to riches story if there ever was one.
  8. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,189 Messages
    2,029 Likes Received
    Luck, IMO, should get the nod. RG3 had a great year but Luck, IMO, was the better Rookie QB.
  9. dfense

dfense Well-Known Member

2,770 Messages
    328 Likes Received
    If you think Brockers would have been a better pick than Claiborne.... wow.

With a year under his belt, Claiborne will be a shutdown corner next year.
  10. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,342 Messages
    279 Likes Received
    I didn't get to see much of Quinton Coples this year but it looks like he had a solid season with 5.5 sacks. I liked him better than Brockers last year if we were gonna take a DLineman.
  11. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,475 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    I like Russell Wilson and wanted Dallas to draft him.

Imagine if Dallas had - for once - looked at the future instead of whatever hole in the dike Jerry is trying to plug when he makes a pick. We could have Russell Wilson and be set for years. :laugh2: and yet, look at the draft threads and you'll see quotes like "3rd round is too early. We don't have a need there." There is no such thing as too early to draft a QB if one is there, unless you have a great one in his prime.

I'd prefer Luck over every other rookie, because unlike the others, Luck had to carry his team. Luck was his teams' game plan, while Washington and Seattle were running teams who ran gimick offenses to protect their QBs. Throwing a rookie QB back there and asking him to basically run a passing offense without protecting him the way Seattle and Washington did, and having him respond with nearly 4500 yds passing was one of the most impressive things I saw in the NFL this year.

But with Wilson, we'd be set at QB for a decade, and unlike the Redskins, wouldn't have had to give up 2 future #1s to get him. Wilson was cool as ice in the Atlanta comeback. Teams will adjust more to him running around, but he's got the accuracy to play in any system.
  12. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,675 Messages
    9,902 Likes Received
    It's hard to slam the Cowboys for missing on Wilson. Very few had a high opinion of his pro potential. Now that looks to be completely wrong now but you can lump the Cowboys in with the vast majority of the NFL.

If the Seahawks were so sure on him why did they wait until the 3rd round to take him? Irvin and Wagner are quality picks but a franchise QB trumps all.
  13. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,929 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    Hard for me not to put Clai on that list. He played very well except one game. For the most part he made the qb throw away from him all season. In the end he still has more upside than the other two corners.

Is it just me or does Jenkins kinda remind you of asante?
  14. joseephuss

21,917 Messages
    1,505 Likes Received
    If Dallas had Wilson you wouldn't know what kind of impact he would have in the future. He would not have played a snap this season as the #3 guy and probably wouldn't see the field for at least another couple of seasons.
  15. nickjamesw43

nickjamesw43 Active Member

392 Messages
    132 Likes Received
    If Dallas has picked Wilson people would have complained we didn't address our need at guard. They did with every other pick and we can probably look forward to this again this coming draft.

Am I the only one who actually believes you should take the best player available regardless of position? You aren't going to care about whatever the immediate need was 3 years from now I guarantee it. The picks you regret are always the ones where you let the greater talent go.

And who even knows what the situation will be even one year from now? People would have blasted the Bobby Wagner pick to shreds and yet our lb corps would be looking pretty good now if we had Wagner.

What Jerry should do is come up with at least an adequate solution to the O-line in Free agency. Be prepared to go into the season with the OL exactly as is and then if a great OL falls into your lap so be it. Otherwise take the talent.
  16. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,507 Messages
    2,387 Likes Received
    I liked Coples too. A lot.
    I think he may fit even better ina 4-3.
  17. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,507 Messages
    2,387 Likes Received
    Gruden loved him coming out. But he is short. That was really the only big issue.

Once Dallas burned it's 1st two draft picks on a CB, they were not about to use the very next pick on QB. The odds were just way against it.

There are plenty of teams that are kicking themselves though.

Possibly even Washington. They used three 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder to get RG3. I know they love him, but they could have kept all of those picks and had Wilson instead. He would have looked great running that offense in Washington and would have loved having all the extra studs the team could have gotten with three 1st rounders and a 2nd. lol

St Louis is loving life right now with all of these picks going forward. But with Washington making the playoffs, it did devalue this years 1st rounder some.
  18. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,915 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    I surely wish we got Jenkins in the 2nd and a more pressing need in the 1st right about now but I hope it pays off long term.