1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Kipers top 5 per position updated

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by supercowboy8, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,234 Messages
    5,487 Likes Received
    It is a little hard to do that as a recluse shut in.
  2. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Statistically, he's one of the worst. He hasnt correctly predicted better than 45% of first round picks in 9 years. A couple years ago he missed on SEVEN of the top 10.

He was good once, then got rich and lazy. He's not even the best draft man employed by ESPN anymore.
  3. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,675 Messages
    9,902 Likes Received
    Exactly. He was a walking encyclopedia of draft info but in the few times he did media, he was awkward and monotone.
  4. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,247 Messages
    1,407 Likes Received
    So you are saying as well, that current statistics in calling who is drafted means calling the identical failures that occur as well. If it dealt with accurately calling talents that transfer to the NFL, then why call failures for teams? Kind of patting oneself on the back...for your own vanity.
  5. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,247 Messages
    1,407 Likes Received
    That means actual knowledge and it's applications, not burn barrel appeal...
  6. Risen Star

22,675 Messages
    9,902 Likes Received
    I don't pay much attention to mock drafts. Though I do know the Huddle Report keeps those stats and Kiper is usually respectable on their lists.

I'm far more interested in accurate evaluations of players rather than where they end up going. I'll find that out through the course of the draft. Tell me who can play and who can't. You're gonna whiff a lot, everybody does, but the good ones also hit it over the fence on a regular basis too.

Mel's not the only voice I respect, but he's definitely at the top of the list. And in terms of impact on the draft itself, he's hair, head and shoulders over the various impersonators that have popped up over the years.
  7. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,247 Messages
    1,407 Likes Received
    I'll agree, he puts on a good show on draft days...
  8. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    Mel flares his nostrils too much for me to pay attention to what he is saying.

Watch him next time, especially when someone is countering his opinion. His nose holes will be flexing.

Almost like JA Adande. When I used to watch Around The Horn I started to notice that he NEVER BLINKS. Seriously, seeing him blink is a rarity. When I first noticed it, it had to be a good minute of him holding his eyes open.
  9. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,175 Messages
    337 Likes Received

That to me atleast doesn't matter. I'm too lazy to do the research, but player rankings really show who has better draft knowledge. Why should anyone look down on him if a team reaches for a player, and that player still sucks?
  10. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

15,068 Messages
    660 Likes Received
    True, but 95 percent of the draft "experts" out there aren't on TV anyway.
  11. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,598 Messages
    2,476 Likes Received
    Why am I not surprised that Risen chooses style over substance?
  12. hipfake08

hipfake08 Well-Known Member

4,454 Messages
    101 Likes Received
    Caught on there have you. A 10 year old can give you the top 5 at any position. And people pay for that. Sad.
  13. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,468 Messages
    341 Likes Received
    Kiper doesn't put much energy or effort into mock drafts.

His niche has always been evaluation and records of players from HS through college; he's very good at projecting how successful players will be at the next level; he's also very good at explaining the draft and its importance and pointing out teams that are always poor because they don't really get it.

For years when asked to do mock drafts, Kiper would basically list his top 32 players with only a few changes with respect to team needs because he is definitely a BPA guy in round 1.

In recent years, he has started paying more attention to team needs and trying to put more into his mock drafts because that's a money maker and fan pleaser, but I don't think he really cares whether or not he predicts the teams moves because he's not into studying teams as much as he is into studying college players.

I love his Draft Report, but I look to others for as many mock drafts as I can. There's a reason why Goose usually does pretty well with his final mock draft, and it's not because he knows the college players better than anyone else.
  14. wittenacious

wittenacious Active Member

2,805 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Joel Buchsbaum, 48, Who Won Renown as Pro Football Analyst
    Published: December 31, 2002

''Draft day is now the second biggest day of the year behind the Super Bowl,'' the Giants general
    manager, Ernie Accorsi, said yesterday. ''Joel had a lot to do with what became the glorification
    of draft day. ESPN started putting it on the air live, but Joel helped them get interested in it.''

Full NY Times.com obit: http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/31/n...8-who-won-renown-as-pro-football-analyst.html
  15. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,644 Messages
    5,556 Likes Received
    Correctamundo.
  16. Risen Star

22,675 Messages
    9,902 Likes Received
    As an aside, what do you think of Joel's successor at PFW Nolan Nawrocki?