1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Kobe Beef

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by CATCH17, Dec 2, 2011.

1. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,275 Messages
    1,495 Likes Received
    Anyone ever tried it?

Does it live up to the hype?
  2. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,876 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I've had some Kobe beef burgers and didn't see what the big deal was honestly. But I'm sure a burger is a lot different from a steak.
  3. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    The only beef I know he's had is with Shaq but I think they worked things out. :laugh1:
  4. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,340 Messages
    489 Likes Received
    Several folks from what I have read in the tabloids, but you would probably get a better answer on a Lakers forum.
  5. basstapp

basstapp Well-Known Member

1,054 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    I have had a kobe burger. It was good, but I prefer eating bison :)
  6. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

4,845 Messages
    335 Likes Received
    I agree with this post.
  7. justbob

justbob The Peacemaker Staff Member

6,750 Messages
    272 Likes Received
    Who pushed your button or rang your BELL:)
  8. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Anita Ward
  9. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Haven't had one in awhile, but they're pretty good.
  10. Wimbo

Wimbo Active Member

4,133 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Depends on what you are comparing it to... if you are comparing it to Prime, you may not notice a lot of difference (depending on the quality of the cut). If you are comparing it to Select, then yes, you will notice a huge difference (IMO).
  11. Meat-O-Rama

Meat-O-Rama Vegetarians are so stupid.

2,222 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    I made a kobe (technically, wagyu) tritip recently and it was hands down better than any other tritip I've made. It was worth it as a special occasion thing, but I would not buy it to make it whenever I'm having beef as the cost is hard to justify.
  12. Roadtrip635

Roadtrip635 Well-Known Member

750 Messages
    282 Likes Received
    I've had Wagyu Rib Eye steak a couple times and it was outstanding each time. I agree, it's great for the once in a while special occasion but hard to justify the price otherwise.
  13. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

6,668 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    I've had had a Kobe Ribeye and is was great :) Buffalo steak is really good. Anytime I have eaten ground Buffalo or Kobe beef there was not that much of a difference in taste.
  14. UVAwahoos

UVAwahoos Benched

2,163 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Between your grill, theater room, and knowledge of steak...I think I have an internet mancrush on you.
  15. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,720 Messages
    434 Likes Received
    Yes, it's better. No, it's probably not worth the price difference to most people. But the degree of sensitivity to price is an individual thing.
  16. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,666 Messages
    1,470 Likes Received
    I have heard numerous times it is not worth the $.

Never has it though.
  17. dcdallaschick

dcdallaschick Member

310 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Depends on how you cook it. It's certainly wasted chopped up for a burger--as are most better cuts of beef. Now, if you're talking steak, it's a great treat.
  18. davidyee

davidyee Maple Leaf

3,714 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    ...in Japan - forced fed with beer - cattle who are massaged - you will be amazed.

They are raised and bred specifically for their even marbling. The best way to enjoy is with a larger cut of meat.

Good Wagyu needs no knife. In Japan the lineage of the animals is meticulously recorded and the rating for this beef is monitored by the gov't.

There are some herds outside of Japan, but I would be suspicious about the effort being placed in the animals to get the type of results the Japanese have been achieving for decades.

For those who have been eating it as burger I would challenge the value in that. Wagyu beef is all about the marbling. Grinding everything up and forming a flattened ball defeats that purpose.

You will never see that product in Japan. Also it allows the processor to add the cheeks, lips, toes and anuses into the product for maximum profit from an animal. Yech!

Comparing it to Bison, which I like, is not a fair comparison. Bison is reared for its lean, but lack of "wild" taste. Wagyu is not lean.

Typically Bison is ground because it is so lean many processors add a bit of fat, often pork, to cheat and make it juicier.

If you eat Bison tenderloin you have to keep things on the rare to medium rare side or you will end up with a baseball for a meal.

On the value of Wagyu, that's just personal. Where one will devalue a consumer offering I often see the same person overvaluing something that doesn't make sense to me.

Sort of like NFL football players in a draft.

I would avoid the Kobe beef burger though. Is contrary to the point of the exercise.
  19. Gemini Dolly

Gemini Dolly Well-Known Member

6,402 Messages
    548 Likes Received
    Its actually Kobe Bean Bryant. :p:
  20. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

8,840 Messages
    94 Likes Received
    I've been to a kobe steak house a couple of times and I just never felt like it was worth the money.