1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Kony Ealy

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Corleone, Apr 17, 2014.

1. cmoney23

cmoney23 Active Member

319 Messages
    225 Likes Received
    Just last season he had 14 TFL, 8 Sacks, 3 forced fumbles, 1 int (returned 49 yrds for the TD) Ran a 4.6~ at his pro day and did the three cone drill in the same time as Lesean McCoy! He's 6-4 273. He will be a player.
  2. cmoney23

cmoney23 Active Member

319 Messages
    225 Likes Received
    Sorry, thats not my classification of him... I agree with it, but thats the Scouts Inc. Break down of him. I like this little video about him though.
  3. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,607 Messages
    3,137 Likes Received
    And Kareem Martin had 21.5 TFL, 11.5 sacks, 3 FF and ran better than Ealy both in the 40 and in the 10 yard split (at the combine). Plus he's almost 2 inches taller, has longer arms and larger hands.

Martin or Ealy?

I'm taking Martin.

I think Ealy has potential, but not enough to take him in the 1st round.
  4. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,088 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    And then there's Scott Crichton too.....and it sounnds like a lot of people are hoping to develop into what Easley already is. Minus the injuries of course.
  5. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,975 Messages
    1,047 Likes Received
  6. MichaelWinicki

32,607 Messages
    3,137 Likes Received
    Crichton seems like a decent prospect.

Just not in round 1.

Lots of folks seem to be wanting the Cowboys to select a 2nd or 3rd round DE in round 1 simply because they need a DE... I definitely do not want them to do that. Take the best player and move on.

They can get a DE later in the draft.
    Common Sense likes this.
  7. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,200 Messages
    5,430 Likes Received
    Ealy also had the benefit of Michael Sam and Markus Golden playing with him. Put him as the focal rusher with a less talented cast around him, I guarantee you that production is not replicated.
  8. Alexander

25,200 Messages
    5,430 Likes Received
    Exactly. The need is actually inflating Ealy's value for some people, it is pretty obvious.
  9. MichaelWinicki

32,607 Messages
    3,137 Likes Received
    And really he wasn't as productive as he should be given his athletic skills. You would be drafting the guy more on potential rather than production and that doesn't seem like a good bet in round 1.
  10. Alexander

25,200 Messages
    5,430 Likes Received
    He also has an overinflated view of himself, basically calling himself the best rusher in this draft. He was not even the best rusher on his own team.
  11. MichaelWinicki

32,607 Messages
    3,137 Likes Received
    Folks are losing perspective due to the great need.

I don't think anyone is oblivious to the fact that the Cowboys need more at weakside DE. None of us (I think) believe that Selvie is the answer there.

But this mess isn't going to be fixed in one draft either.
    starfrombirth likes this.
  12. Alexander

25,200 Messages
    5,430 Likes Received
    You are on a roll being right, Michael.
    Common Sense likes this.
  13. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,088 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    That was point about Ealy. Why take him in the 1st when there are plenty of guys in the draft with similar skill sets. Hell, give me Ben Gardner in the 5th over Ealy in the 1st. If Jerry is going to go out on a limb for a DE it better be someone like Barr or Attaochu (with a trade back) who have a lot higher sack potential.
  14. MichaelWinicki

32,607 Messages
    3,137 Likes Received
    I would take a "Band-Aid" up shot at the position this season. Throw Selvie out there for some snaps. Get a WDE with some "warts" in either rounds 2 or 3 and then maybe a Hubbard or Webster later on.

And who knows a Hubbard or Webster may end up being a decent starter down the road.
  15. Alexander

25,200 Messages
    5,430 Likes Received
    Now you are stretching it a bit with Gardner.
  16. MichaelWinicki

32,607 Messages
    3,137 Likes Received
    I'm right there with you!
  17. Alexander

25,200 Messages
    5,430 Likes Received
    Hubbard is intriguing. I would just load up on as many as I could and hope you hit. That does not necessarily mean starting at pick 16. That has to be a hit given the talent level we have across the roster.
  18. MichaelWinicki

32,607 Messages
    3,137 Likes Received
    Exactly right.
  19. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,088 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    I know they aren't the sane player and Ealy is a better prospect....just saying in terms of value of Ealy in the 1st vs Gardner in the 5th its not really close to me
  20. Alexander

25,200 Messages
    5,430 Likes Received
    I get what you are saying, but maybe I think a little less of Gardner as a 4-3 fit than you do. Seems like a good 3-4 end and a steal later on though.