1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Kony Ealy

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Corleone, Apr 17, 2014.

1. cmoney23

cmoney23 Active Member

276 Messages
    170 Likes Received
    Excellent points, if you would look a little below this text at my Sig... you'll see my most recent mock draft... Guess who I have us taking in the second round? Bingo! ;)
  2. cmoney23

cmoney23 Active Member

276 Messages
    170 Likes Received
    Check the mock in my sig man, Gardner in the 7th!
  3. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,150 Messages
    2,779 Likes Received
    LOL!

Yeah, I saw that.
    cmoney23 likes this.
  4. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,024 Messages
    628 Likes Received
    Gardner weighed in at his pro day at 262 and ran a 4.82 40 with an extremely impressive 6.78 3 cone. Oh and a 39.5 inch vertical. I dont think there's any doubt he can handle 4-3 DE. He's way more athletic than people will give him credit for.
  5. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,004 Messages
    628 Likes Received
    cmoney23 likes this.
  6. cmoney23

cmoney23 Active Member

276 Messages
    170 Likes Received
  7. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,464 Messages
    397 Likes Received
    Guard is much deeper than DE, taking Kony Ealy over Martin will get help at the weakest point......Safety is a huge concern, not sure why Ha-ha and Pryor are being discounted in Big D.
  8. MichaelWinicki

32,150 Messages
    2,779 Likes Received
    The problem with that thought is that Ealy simply isn't worth the selection at #16. Not only are you drafting entirely on need, you're taking a 2nd round player in the middle of the first round.

This type of drafting simply doesn't work. Been there... done that.
  9. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,464 Messages
    397 Likes Received
    The 6.5 280lb Ealy isn't falling out of the 1st round. With his prototypical size in high demand, he could be off the board before our choice @ 16.

http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2014/4/24/5646224/nfl-mock-draft-2014-dallas-cowboys-kony-ealy

[IMG]
    Cowboys try to find a piece in the first round that will immediately come in and provide a pass rush for a front seven in desperate need of play makers. At this point, Kony Ealy is the best man for the job.
    At 6'4", 273 pounds, the Missouri Tiger standout has the athletic ability to contribute immediately to what appears to be a rather weak defensive line. Ealy spent time all over the defensive line and at outside linebacker at Missouri, proving his versatility. I believe that Rod Marinelli will be able to get the best out of Ealy, and that could end up being very scary for Cowboy opponents in the future. The 22 year old has excellent agility and all of the tools necessary to develop into a double digit sack guy.

While one can argue that defensive tackle or outside linebacker are just as great of a need for the Cowboys, the talent gap between the 2nd round guys at these positions and those currently available are not as great as the gap between Ealy and the guys available at DE in the 2nd round. There is no question that Ealy is the 2nd best DE in this draft, behind only Jadaveon Clowney. Kony Ealy is a nice fit for what should be a draft filled with defensive prospects for the Cowboys.
  10. MichaelWinicki

32,150 Messages
    2,779 Likes Received
    Good.

I hope some other team takes him before the Cowboys do.
    Corleone and Alexander like this.
  11. cmoney23

cmoney23 Active Member

276 Messages
    170 Likes Received
    Question. So, at 16...who do you want to pick? Assuming Donald's off the board.
  12. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,619 Messages
    4,891 Likes Received
    Not overly thrilled with what is likely to be available at 16. If a gun is on my head and guessing who I believe will be available, it is probably Zack Martin or possibly Shazier. I would likely try to trade out of there if I were faced with Ealy or nothing.
    MichaelWinicki likes this.
  13. MichaelWinicki

32,150 Messages
    2,779 Likes Received
    Those are two I'd strongly consider.
  14. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,004 Messages
    628 Likes Received
    De is the top priority in the draft but I don't know if Ealy is worthy of the 16 th pick but he is my top guy if we trade down.
  15. cmoney23

cmoney23 Active Member

276 Messages
    170 Likes Received
    To me, Kony Ealy is better and would make way more of an impact early than either of those two. To me its simple, 16 or anywhere in the first you take Ealy or Jernigan.
  16. cmoney23

cmoney23 Active Member

276 Messages
    170 Likes Received
    If you Get jernigan in the first, then come back and get Kareem martin in the second! You now have a Solid starting 4 "Selvie- Jernigan- Melton- Martin"
    Corleone likes this.
  17. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,807 Messages
    772 Likes Received
    I don't know about Shazier. Stats and numbers are in his favour, but I haven't liked what I've seen. I'll defer to the scouts on him, cause I can't make up my mind
  18. MichaelWinicki

32,150 Messages
    2,779 Likes Received
    Then you would be wrong. :)
    cmoney23 likes this.
  19. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,619 Messages
    4,891 Likes Received
    While that might be a slight "reach" for Jernigan (and a primarily one-T), I would prefer him to Ealy and it is really not that close.
  20. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

1,958 Messages
    283 Likes Received