1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Kony Ealy

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Corleone, Apr 17, 2014.

1. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,673 Messages
    3,188 Likes Received
    And how.
  2. Corso

Corso Well-Known Member

2,425 Messages
    1,603 Likes Received
  3. cmoney23

cmoney23 Active Member

326 Messages
    231 Likes Received
    :oops:
  4. MichaelWinicki

32,673 Messages
    3,188 Likes Received
    LOL!
  5. cmoney23

cmoney23 Active Member

326 Messages
    231 Likes Received
    With us signing Melton, why would we draft a 3 Tech high? I mean we should assume hes healthy and ready to play...
  6. ghst187

ghst187 Well-Known Member

5,595 Messages
    150 Likes Received
    Prefer Dee Ford if Donald and Manziel r gone and we can't trade back
  7. MichaelWinicki

32,673 Messages
    3,188 Likes Received
    I don't think they have any interest in Ford. Haven't interviewed him. Haven't had him in for a visit.

I think he's too small to be a 4-3 DE on a full time basis.
    Smith22 likes this.
  8. MichaelWinicki

32,673 Messages
    3,188 Likes Received
    That's a good point.

But keep in mind we're really not sure how healthy Melton will be at the start of training camp. And then there's the issue that he could be here for just one season.

I can see the point for having someone there to serve as a #3 if nothing more than to eat some snaps so Melton doesn't have to be out there for 800+.

Now that may not be a guy in the first round... but at some point.
  9. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,505 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    Jernigan is the same player that Dallas took off the Board last year at the last minute, he simply does not fit the scheme.

Kony Ealy 6.5 280lbs and 4.6 40 is under rated, starts as a 3 down player from day 1 and far from his cieling.

Ford will be thrown around in todays' NFL at mere 6.2 and 250lbs.
  10. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,249 Messages
    5,503 Likes Received
    Jernigan would play the 1-T, not the 3-T. Get a RDE to pair with Melton, Jernigan and Crawford would go a long way towards being respectable.
  11. Alexander

25,249 Messages
    5,503 Likes Received
    So Jernigan as a cocked NT (what he did a lot of at Fla. St.) does not fit the scheme, but Ealy as a RDE does? What?
    Smith22 likes this.
  12. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,064 Messages
    956 Likes Received
    Uh oh, I'm watching some tape on Ealy and coming around....

He's got potential for sure. Some plays he dogs it, which worries me. But he can make a move and go straight to the QB so easily.
    cmoney23 likes this.
  13. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,505 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    You mean what about Ealy doesn't fit this scheme at RE.

Timmy Jernigan is 2014s Sharrif Floyd.
  14. cmoney23

cmoney23 Active Member

326 Messages
    231 Likes Received
    Yeah, exactly my point. Maybe read the previous posts. And I love Ealy. Again. Read.
    SilverStarCowboy likes this.
  15. starfrombirth

starfrombirth Well-Known Member

3,933 Messages
    476 Likes Received
    :D huh? What's that sound? Oh well... must be nothing.. mwahaha muhahaha!!!
  16. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,750 Messages
    10,044 Likes Received
    Jernigan gives you that flexibility. Melton may not be the same or he may just be a one year Cowboy. We really shouldn't let his presence on the roster effect a draft day decision.
  17. Alexander

25,249 Messages
    5,503 Likes Received
    Of course. That is why they are probably praying for Donald to fall to them. He's a rental if he plays well, I don't care about his supposed loyalty to Marinelli. There is no guarantee he is around in a year either.
  18. cmoney23

cmoney23 Active Member

326 Messages
    231 Likes Received
    I think the best scenario, is that you guys are right and Ealy drops (I doubt he makes it out of the first) but then we could get Jernigan at 16 and get Ealy in the second... That would be a haul!
  19. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,743 Messages
    5,903 Likes Received
    Not fitting the scheme and not being worth a 1st round pick is two different issues.

Jernigan would be in consideration to play the 1-tech position for Marinelli, but they don't want to draft a 1-tech in the 1st round.
  20. Corleone

Corleone Well-Known Member

1,038 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    I would much prefer Jernigan over Ealy. He can play the 1 or the 3 but the thing is, if Melton is ready to go, he will play the 1 and they just don't want to take a 1 in the first. I think Jernigan is different though, he was asked to take a wait and see kind of approach alot in college to let plays play out and react. That reactionary role prevented him from being as truly disruptive as he could have been if set loose. He's versatile IMO. He can relieve Melton if it comes to it and can play right next to him. Love the player.

You guys mentioned guys like Chrichton and K. Martin as guys you liked over Ealy. A guy I would, especially at the potential value(trade down, late first or trade up early second), is D. Lawrence. He is an impressive player, he looked better to me than Ealy in the limited stuff I've seen so far. Ill be watching much more soon but so far. Thoughts on him?