1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Konz dropping?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by jnday, Feb 25, 2012.

1. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    With a bad showing at the combine , will Konz drop ? He had 18 reps on the bench , but this was blamed on a pulled muscle .
    If he dropped in the second , and his lung condition is okay , would you draft him?
    What if Dallas drafted DeCastro in the first ? Would you still draft him ?
  2. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,147 Messages
    1,117 Likes Received
    DeCastro in the first and Konz in the second would be amazing!
  3. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

38,377 Messages
    4,229 Likes Received
  4. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I don't pick him before the 3rd and that was before the poor showing in the combine. I don't like his medical history and I don't like the way he moves. I also have an issue with his height and being able to dig under NT's and bigger DL in the NFL.
  5. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    How do you compare him to Blake ?
  6. jobberone

38,377 Messages
    4,229 Likes Received
    Are you saying he doesn't bend and balance well when set up?
  7. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I like Blake much better.

Actually, I would take Blake in the 2nd. I believe their ranking have been reverse all along.
  8. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    He's much better on the move when he has time to break down. I don't like what I saw from him with a defender lined up on the nose. He tends to get high out of his stance. When engaged he can drive block with the best and root the defender out but I see problems with his short area game in the NFL. His height and ability to stay low was a concern, coupled with his lack of strength he just can't get away with it at the next level.

If he was a OG I would have him ranked higher then do right now at OC.
  9. jobberone

38,377 Messages
    4,229 Likes Received
    Then I wouldn't draft him at center at all.
  10. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,367 Messages
    764 Likes Received
    Lmfao! Every draftnik in the world has him as the #1 rated center and a 5 liner on a message board convinces you not to draft him at all
  11. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,571 Messages
    1,429 Likes Received
    Sounds about two rounds too high.
  12. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    Just to correct a misnomer some people have, Konz doesn't really have a lung problem. He had a blood clot, presumably from a leg, that ended up embolizing to his heart and then his lungs. It is a serious condition and can give you bad chest pain and trouble breathing but usually doesn't result in major lung damage in its survivors.

The main issue with Konz is that he has an elevated risk of having another blood clot. That risk may be extremely high or just very high and blood tests on clotting and DNA tests can help clarify this to some degree. The big issue is that if he has a second blood clot the current medical recommendations are for lifelong anti-coagulation which would then mean the end of his football career. I think it would be hard for any MD to clear him to go back on the field after a second blood clot.

To me that is a pretty big issue and should probably knock a couple of rounds off where he would otherwise have been drafted. So if he grades out as a second rounder after the combine, I would strongly suggest avoiding him until the 4th round. If he grades out as a 1st rounder, then don't consider him until the 3rd round.
  13. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    True or not , that is funny .:laugh2:
  14. jobberone

38,377 Messages
    4,229 Likes Received
    Not for my team. There are plenty of other centers out there to chose from including FAs. My first criteria for a center is set up and being able to stay balanced and get leverage. We have a good run blocking center now that has trouble pass protecting. I'm not drafting one like that. They also have Blake as a low rounder. Now he's rising. It's foolish to think 'they' all get it right all the time. At best 'they' are 50/50. And I don't consider SDogo's info as just a five liner either. None of us are drafting anyone. So I'll give your post all the reflection it deserves.
  15. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    As I said, I have had him and Konz in reverse position all along. I believe Konz is ranked 1 or 2 rounds too high.
  16. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,571 Messages
    1,429 Likes Received
    So your guys telling you the Cowboys like Blake that much?
  17. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    nah, has nothing to do with the Cowboys interests.

The Cowboys have their eye on several centers this year.

They have focused on OC since they lost out on Max Unger in 2009. They have actually tried to make a run at one each of the past 3 seasons but have either been jumped or failed to finalize a move to get one.
  18. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I wouldn't draft him in the first, just because of the blood clot issues, but if he's still on the board at pick 45, yeah, I'd take a chance there...

I'm glad to know the disappointing bench press number is the result of an injury (assuming of course that's not just a copout)...
  19. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    I think this is a biggie.

I'm not sure I'd go 3rd. It'd be tempting because his talent is obviously higher than a 3rd but that is a potentially big medical issue.
  20. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Any names to share with us??

Beyond the usual suspects-- Ben Jones, Philip Blake, Mike Brewster, Peter Konz-- I'm curious to know if they've shown any interest in any of these late round/undrafted type centers:

Mason Cloy, Clemson... 6-3, 310 lbs., 5.2 second 40...

Scott Wedige, Northern Illinois... 6-4, 305 lbs., 5.25 second 40...

Moe Petrus, Connecticut... 6-2, 300 lbs., 5.05 second 40... kind of reminds me of Kowalski...

T-Bob Hebert, LSU... 6-3, 305 lbs., 5.25 second 40...

Rodney Austin, Elon...6-3, 310 lbs., 5.15 second 40...

Seth Oxner, Arkansas-Monticello... 6-4, 305 lbs., 5.2 second 40...

Cam Holland, North Carolina... 6-3, 320 lbs., 5.25 second 40...

Of that group, for assorted reasons I'm particularly intrigued by Cloy, Wedige and Austin...