1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Lame - teacher takes away pre-K's lunch and replaces with Chicken Nuggets

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by VietCowboy, Feb 20, 2012.

1. VietCowboy

VietCowboy Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.

2,918 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    http://myfox8.com/2012/02/14/nc-preschooler-fed-nuggets-because-packed-lunch-wasnt-healthy/

The USDA followed up with the story and said it was a teacher, not state agent who did this:

http://myfox8.com/2012/02/15/usda-meal-was-not-replaced-mom-was-never-charged/
  2. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    If you read it, it also says it was not replaced. But that they added stuff to her existing meal, brought from home.
  3. VietCowboy

VietCowboy Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.

2,918 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I think you read it wrong. They never disputed the fact that she took her home-packed meal home untouched. only that they never charged her the $1.25 for the full cafeteria meal.
  4. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,177 Messages
    1,212 Likes Received
  5. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    I guess I didn't read it closely enough. But the USDA doesn't have our best interests at heart. Was it here that someone posted the pink slime video?

Yuck!

Anyway, I agree with Ice. Get outta here with meddling in lunch sacks.
  6. Faerluna

Faerluna I'm Complicated

5,143 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I saw the guidelines for their lunches, but I fail to see how this lunch didn't meet the requirements. Silly, regardless.
  7. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,459 Messages
    962 Likes Received
    Lunch Nazi's
  8. Cythim

Cythim Benched

1,691 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It also said home packed meals are never taken away. The child may not have eaten anything from the home packed meal, and why not when she has chicken nuggets instead?
  9. iceberg

28,177 Messages
    1,212 Likes Received
    it's not your right to tell a parent how to raise their child.

esp when you screw it up.

people need to quit inventing problems to solve.

period.
  10. Cythim

Cythim Benched

1,691 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It is the school's responsibility to ensure children are being fed properly while in their care. Basic nutrition is either right or wrong, the only grey area that exists is when it comes to vegan/vegetarian and organics. The article says the teacher overreacted, otherwise I see no problem with schools supplementing a kid's meal to make sure it is healthy.
  11. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    WRONG it ids NOT their responsibility at ALL.

you may love the nanny state but who in their right mind wants the government- you know that paragon of effeciency and intelligence- messing with your kid?
  12. notherbob

notherbob Active Member

2,853 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    What does chicken mcnuggets or anything from mcdonald's, have to do with proper nutrition?
  13. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,507 Messages
    3,779 Likes Received
    Just for clarification...
    It was chicken nuggets from the school lunch program. I seen nothing in the article to indicate mcdonalds.:cool:

However it is funny how we see Chicken nuggets and most of us think Chicken MCnuggets from McDonalds...guess that goes to good marketing from McDonalds.
  14. Faerluna

Faerluna I'm Complicated

5,143 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    There are circumstances where, our of sheer caring for a child's well being, that lunches should be supplemented.

You're telling me that if you saw a child come day after day with nothing but a 50 cent bag of chips or a pack of cookies that you would just turn a blind eye and not give them a little something extra that was actually food and not crap?

I'm not talking about someone that's having a lunch missing a portion of vegetables or grains, I'm talking about a lunch missing "food."
  15. iceberg

28,177 Messages
    1,212 Likes Received
    except that is not what the child came in with - now you're changing the circumstances to justify getting away with telling people how to live. what that kid came to lunch with sounded very much like most of us had when we were kids.

why were nuggets better than the sandwich?
  16. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,222 Messages
    532 Likes Received
    two things here, what you are talking about is what a good person might do, yes if we see a child not eating a good lunch TAKING my own money and buying them lunch is me taking a risk but doing a good deed.

what some are talking about is some people THINK its the schools responsiblity to take care of nutrition, it is NOT their responsibility.
  17. Faerluna

Faerluna I'm Complicated

5,143 Messages
    1 Likes Received

Above, I noted that I saw nothing wrong with the child's lunch.

I was responding to the nature of that one particular post that was all-encompassing, for any situation, people need to mind their own business.

Perhaps it should not be their legal responsibility, I guess I am speaking more to their moral and ethical responsibility as human beings.

While under some circumstances, like the above, it is unnecessary and over the top. However, that would probably be the exception and not the rule for times when a child wasn't having a decent meal, possibly the only one of the day.
  18. iceberg

28,177 Messages
    1,212 Likes Received
    fair enough.
  19. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received

then they report them to child welfare. It is NOT the schools job to do anything ELSE.
  20. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Some people will do this so much they protect them/ raise them better than you to death.

True story.

In some really bad cases, it's necessary to intervene. But this has become pop culture today. Pseudo-social sciences are making their way into mainstream and ultimately there is a backlash for the overkill of do-gooder bull crap that so many people want to be a part of. Too many do-gooders with cracker jack degrees even... just walking around telling people how to parent.

And there is money in inventing problems, too.