1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Lance Armstrong - Does Anybody Even Care Anymore?

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by WPBCowboysFan, Jan 14, 2013.

1. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,921 Messages
    2,120 Likes Received
    So Lance admits to Oprah he doped.

Will his defenders just quietly fade away? :lmao2:

Does anybody even care?
  2. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,626 Messages
    412 Likes Received
    If everyone else is using, does that make you a cheater or just a follower?
  3. koolaid

koolaid Drink Me

1,768 Messages
    76 Likes Received
    Pretty clever the way they pulled off their performance enhancing techniques. Just last year a prof. in a class I took was describing similar techniques (such as EPO and transfusions) and how they could be pulled off in multiple sports.

With how many brilliant scientists and biochemists exist today, I can't even imagine how many ways people have found a way to give themselves an edge in their respective sports. I have no doubt that every sport is permeated with performance enhancers. There is just too much money to be made cheating.
  4. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,188 Messages
    347 Likes Received
    So what do all the people who believed that Lance Armstrong just got tired of defending himself think?
  5. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,921 Messages
    2,120 Likes Received
    :lmao2: :lmao2:

The silence may be deafening! :)
  6. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,439 Messages
    1,044 Likes Received
    Could care less really. But if your trying to tell me those other riders weren't doping either is bullcrap!

He still had the will and VO2 max to climb them hills. Half the riders in the world could have taken PED's and wouldn't have been able to come close to what he did.
  7. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Don't worry.. we'll always have your virtual emoticon laughter to keep the noise level up around here.
  8. Manwiththeplan

5,188 Messages
    347 Likes Received
    and if you have that view, what's your opinion on Roger Clements and Barry Bonds not making the hall of fame?
  9. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,439 Messages
    1,044 Likes Received
    Somebody still had to swing the bat. Jon Doe couldn't take the juice and be major league hall of farmers. They are talented beyond belief. I still think its the 162 games that promotes taking them.
  10. Manwiththeplan

5,188 Messages
    347 Likes Received
    what bothers me, is the hypocrisy in some that deem it ok to cheat if I like you (Lance Armstrong) but not okay if I don't (Barry Bonds). And it's okay for one guy to break the law, but when Michael Vick does, he should never get an opportunity again.

You seem like you don't really care about cheating, which if that's how you feel, atleast it's consistent.
  11. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,626 Messages
    412 Likes Received
    I am of the view that if all "cheat", it isn't a big deal. Given I am Canadian, I know what it is like for a country to get a Gold stripped. Ben Johnson was simply the best cheater in that 1988 Final, better than HGH using Carl Lewis (remember the key indicator of HGH use is braces on athletes in their 20s, Lewis had braces), better than Linford Christie etc. To me he is still the 1988Gold Medallist.

Lance was simply better at "cheating" and cycling than the other "cheaters" and cyclists.
  12. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,439 Messages
    1,044 Likes Received
    It's not cheating it everybody is doing it. I want to be entertained plain and simple. Are you trying to tell me that the HR chase between Sosa and McQuire wasn't magical? What a season!

Look I don't want anybody to have an advantage, but these sports are grueling. I can't blame anybody for wanting to get an edge. Been around sports my whole life, most notably football, and believe me PED'S are rampant.
  13. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,558 Messages
    1,815 Likes Received
    Lance is coming out now, most likely, because his statue of limitations for perjury is up. He lied under oath 7 years ago, so if he came out before now, he would have been prosecuted.

I think its bull that he has always been the face of steroids in bicycling. Every single rider that has ever finished second has been found guilty of doping. Its pandemic in the sport and he is just one of the many. Villifying him was wrong, and I don't blame him for ever attacking the media who did the same to him.
  14. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

15,206 Messages
    313 Likes Received
    who would have thought people riding bicycles up mountains without slowing down were on drugs?

So how much slower was the Tour de France last year than back in Lance's day?
  15. Cythim

Cythim Benched

1,691 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The fastest race was 41.7 kph average in 2005 (Lance's final win) and 2012 was 39.8 kph average. I think that equates to about 4 more hours total time on the bike over a 3500k race.

I am a cycling fan and I can tell you I don't care that he doped. I think most people already suspected it and him coming clean is a meaningless act. I was a fan of his when he was winning and I appreciate the good things he has done, but I was cheering against him during his comeback and I don't really care to ever see him on television again. He entertained me for several years, he can go away now because he is useless to me. I feel the same way about Bonds, Clemens and the rest of baseball players. Let them in the Hall, they were only trying to be competitive in a game that still doesn't care if players are doping.
  16. danielofthesaints

danielofthesaints Well-Known Member

1,056 Messages
    109 Likes Received
    Who cares? It's cycling for crying out loud.
  17. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,961 Messages
    1,537 Likes Received
    That is not near enough information to draw any type of conclusions. The course is different every year. The weather(wind, rain, temp, etc.) could play a factor. The strategy of the racing teams or even the peloton can choose to ride slower on any given day or days. There is also improvement in the bikes and equipment.
  18. Manwiththeplan

5,188 Messages
    347 Likes Received
    O no, it's still cheating, whether everyone is using (which is an exaggeration) or not.
  19. Diogenes

Diogenes Active Member

1,200 Messages
    13 Likes Received

Yup, if it's against the rules, it's cheating no matter how you slice it. You can try to justify it by pointing the finger at Timmy and Bobby, saying they do it too. And that's understandable to some extent. It's still cheating though.
  20. Cythim

Cythim Benched

1,691 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I was providing a simple answer to a simple question. There are many variables to take into account but there is a clear trend of increased performance before and during Lance's reign and a drop off immediately after. Keep in mind these averages are based on 150 riders registering 3500 miles in three weeks. Every year is different but it still follows a clear trend line.