1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Lance Armstrong stripped of all Tour De France titles & banned...

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by MonsterD, Oct 22, 2012.

1. MonsterD

MonsterD Quota outta absentia

3,685 Messages
    317 Likes Received
    What a shame this guy is now.

GENEVA — Cycling's governing body agreed Monday to strip Lance Armstrong of his seven Tour de France titles and ban him for life, following a report from the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency that accused him of leading a massive doping program on his teams.
    Speaking from Geneva, International Cycling Union President Pat McQuaid confirmed to a news conference that UCI had decided to uphold USADA'S decision to strip Armstrong of his Tour titles.
    "Lance Armstrong has no place in cycling," McQuaid said.

Link
  2. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,652 Messages
    5,563 Likes Received
    A lot of people will be torn like me. The cyclist vs the cancer fundraiser. Banned for like vs $500 Million.
  3. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    So are they going to do the same for all of the other dirty cyclists? If they did would there be anyone left?
  4. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,408 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    That's my issue with this whole witch hunt on him and other guys like Bonds and Clemons. I don't recall Sosa among others being blown up like this.
  5. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    ''Lance Armstrong has no place in cycling and he deserves to be forgotten in cycling,'' McQuaid said at a news conference. ''This is a landmark day for cycling.''

Uh...hate to break it to you McQuaid, but if Lance is forgotten in cycling, the whole sport becomes completely irrelevant. Have fun with that "landmark".
  6. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,341 Messages
    4,666 Likes Received
    Whether other cyclist cheated or not...it does not make it ok for Lance nor should he keep those titles.

I know many don't like that but if he would not have cheated, it would not be an issue right now.

He did great things in the cancer community so he always has that good thing for him and I imagine a good number of people who have received some form of help because of what he did will not care that he cheated or was stripped of the titles.

However again, just because others cheated it does not mean it was ok that he did.

How many people have heard a child do something dumb and use the excuse that their friends were doing it...only for the parent to retort...if your friends were doing (enter something really dumb and dangerous) would you do it?

Same logic applies here.
  7. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

5,509 Messages
    622 Likes Received
    I have never cared for this sport at all. But I am curious as to whether or not the stripped Tour titles will now go to the 2nd place finishers...?
  8. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,633 Messages
    2,460 Likes Received
    Cycling wanting to pat their dirty selves on the back here.
    I wonder if there has been a single clean winner of the Tour in the last 15 years? I doubt it.
  9. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,202 Messages
    2,039 Likes Received
    Where's the proof? You have a bunch of cyclist accuse him who are dirty themselves. You have no positive drug tests from any governing body.

Just because a dirty sport, dominated by Europeans says he cheated doesn't mean it's right to do any of this without proof.

That's not how it works.
  10. ABQCOWBOY

35,202 Messages
    2,039 Likes Received
    Cycling will leave them vacant according to reports I heard on ESPN. Who knows if that really will happen.
  11. BrAinPaiNt

61,341 Messages
    4,666 Likes Received
    The proof has been overwhelming.

They do not strip him of all titles on a hunch.

He does not resign from his charity for no reason.

The guy cheated. He knows it, the cycling world knows it, his former team mates know it.

No need to continually act like it is not so when it is so.
  12. ABQCOWBOY

35,202 Messages
    2,039 Likes Received

When the U.S. first started really getting into this sport, back in the late 70s and early 80s, the Europeans used to laugh at us. It was a running joke that U.S. cyclists didn't have what it took to compete in European Cycling. What they were referring to was training. Cycling is not an individual event. Yeah, an individual cyclist wins and gets the celebration but you really need a very strong team around you to actually win. Our riders did not dope and when they tried to join European Teams, because they didn't want to dope, they were laughed at and basically could not get on with decent teams. That's a true story. The European riders have been doping since the 60s.

I live here in Albuquerque. Not sure if many know this or not but two things that we have a lot of here are Distance Runners and Cyclists of the Olympic or Professional variety. Back in the Early 80s, I had a friend who actually road in Europe with Greg LeMond. He told me then about how European Cycling was. Even then, all of the major teams were using. They laughed at us because we were said to be soft. We didn't have what it took to be good. That's where all of that comes from.

All of this is just a big dog and pony show. Somebody is getting paid to do what is being done to Armstrong. I would not be surprised if he was using because, as I have said, every major team and rider is using. However, they never caught him using and I don't know how you convict somebody without any proof. It is what it is.

Armstrong is probably better off for it. Now, he can live his life. The Cancer Foundation will not be better off for it. American Cycling will not be better off. European Cycling will enjoy some benefit from it but in the end, the sport will continue to be dirty and what will have been accomplished?
  13. MonsterD

MonsterD Quota outta absentia

3,685 Messages
    317 Likes Received
    Anyone else think he will deny it until he is in his 70s or whatever like Pete Rose then say the truth?
  14. ABQCOWBOY

35,202 Messages
    2,039 Likes Received
    Where is the proof of a dirty test?

He resigned from the Charity because the publicity was hurting the charity.

If he cheated, there should be a record of it. If he cheated, he would have been nailed to the wall for it. The Cycling world has been out to get him for 20 years.

No need to convict him with no proof either BP but you did.
  15. BrAinPaiNt

61,341 Messages
    4,666 Likes Received
    The proof has been pointed out to you in other threads but other users...you just don't want to see it.

Sorry...you are a good man and I am not going to rag on you over this...we can agree to disagree.:cool:
  16. jcollins28

jcollins28 Active Member

1,508 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    This is like Guns N Roses throwing Duff out of the band because, "he did to much drugs". Cycling and PED use goes together like peanut butter and jelly. Lance was just a superior cheater over the other cheaters...
  17. ABQCOWBOY

35,202 Messages
    2,039 Likes Received
    OK. I have read all of the articles and I have read the piece in the NY Times that came out over the weekend. I understand the angle that is being introduced and I read a lot of that testimony but at the end of the day, no governing body has any proof that he tested dirty.

You know I like you BP and you know that I respect you, even if we don't always agree but I have a big problem with this. You are not supposed to be found guilty if there is no proof. I have never seen one positive test result reported.

Agree to disagree.
  18. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,633 Messages
    2,460 Likes Received
    :laugh2: Nailed it
  19. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,873 Messages
    1,709 Likes Received
    Bottom line is that everyone cheats- so why single him out?
    IF anything is clear it is that no CONTENDER as far as anyone can establish right now IS clean.

Waiting for the answer.
  20. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,345 Messages
    248 Likes Received
    The funny thing is, they can never take the titles from him. He owns them and he won them. Their little eraser won't do anything to change history. :laugh2: