1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Last time we played the Browns...

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Neverhood, Nov 14, 2012.

1. aikemirv

aikemirv Well-Known Member

7,088 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    Not just to you but everyone else marveling at THAT Oline.

It was the same one that failed miserably in the 2007 and 2009 playoffs!!!!
  2. 187beatdown

187beatdown Lack of Big Plays

3,784 Messages
    535 Likes Received
    Yeah, the O-line that cut our probable run to the Superbowl short against the Giants. Boy was that second half ever embarrassing.
  3. StylisticS

StylisticS Well-Known Member

8,296 Messages
    221 Likes Received
    Romo did get pretty hard on one play though. Scared everyone because he got up very slowly.
  4. aikemirv

aikemirv Well-Known Member

7,088 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    I think that was actually the game where he busted his chin and had multiple stictches from a sack!
  5. JPM

JPM Well-Known Member

5,655 Messages
    149 Likes Received
    Pretty sure it was, and I think Shaun Rogers was the one who hit him.
  6. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,799 Messages
    872 Likes Received
    Entering the 08 season everyone thought that would be the Cowboys year after the disappointing end to the 07 season. The 3-0 start once again got the team feeling good about themselves and they became complacent like they did the previous season when they were playing some of the best football we've seen since the great 90's teams.

The 07 team became fat and happy after beating the 10-1 Packers and so did the 08 team after starting off 3-0. They once again started reading their press clippings and their play abruptly dropped off. Even with Romo going down that season the Cowboys were in control of their own fate heading into Dec only having to go 2-2 to make the playoffs.

The Cowboys can't handle success or adversity a lot of the issues we saw back then we still see today. We saw the same thing entering Dec of last season when the Cowboys were in control of their own fate they ended up finishing 1-4 and got mauled in the season finale. When it gets down to crunch time the Cowboys don't even bother to show up.
  7. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

9,598 Messages
    805 Likes Received
    Does not hurt that IT WAS THE BROWNS. Not much has changed from then till now.
  8. dallasfan4lizife

dallasfan4lizife Well-Known Member

2,653 Messages
    300 Likes Received
    Romo really hasn't improved much since 2008....
  9. Neverhood

Neverhood Active Member

217 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    I hope you meant Romo got HIT hard, or you were just looking very closely at the highlights.
  10. KJJ

10,799 Messages
    872 Likes Received
    Garrett doesn't trust Romo or his offense he plays not to lose. His offense consists of a lot of high percentage passing to Witten and running the ball anything to avoid turnovers and to assure most drives end with a FG opportunity.

His offense puts a premium on maintaining possession and settling for FG's. Nothing like having an 85 yard drive like the Cowboys had vs the Panthers a few weeks ago and not turn the ball over and walk away with 3 points.

Garrett doesn't see any point in going vertical and attacking the endzone it could lead to turnovers and the loss of a FG opportunity. The only player Garrett trusts on the team is Bailey. He has so much faith in Bailey he even iced him last year.
  11. KJJ

10,799 Messages
    872 Likes Received
    Part of that is the team hasn't improved any. The OL certainly hasn't gotten any better since 08.
  12. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

6,359 Messages
    388 Likes Received

That 2007-2008 OL was much better than what we have now. They were just wildly inconsistent. Before Columbo started breaking down physically, that OL had about 3-4 guys who could physically maul their opponent. Again, their problem was not being consistent game-to-game or even half-to-half. For instance, as dominant as we were in the 1st half of the NYG 2007 season playoff game, in the 2nd half of the same game the wheels completely fell off.
  13. jgboys1

jgboys1 Well-Known Member

3,787 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    It was a tale of 2 halfs, for the O-line. 1st half we were running it down there throats and in the 2nd half Romo was running for his life.
    I remember saying to myself, what the hell happened to the O-line during halftime.
  14. KJJ

10,799 Messages
    872 Likes Received
    It wasn't as much the OL as it was Barber running out of gas in the second half. That was his first start that season he wasn't use to starting out the game carrying the load. He had a career high of 27 attempts that day. Only once that season did he carry the ball more than 20 times. Most of his carries came in the 3rd and 4th quarter of games.

He was used mostly as a closer against tired defenses now he was being used to pound against a fresh defense in a playoff game. Go back and review that Giants game and look at the "pop" Barber had in the first half. He didn't have that same pop in the second half he was going down much easier you could see he was wearing down plus the Giants were determined to stop him.
  15. KJJ

10,799 Messages
    872 Likes Received

When Barber was fresh he was crashing through the Giants defense like we see Marshawn Lynch today but he wore down by halftime. Barbers legs going dead is what happened to the OL. This forced Romo to have to put it up against a Giants pass rush that was coming on like gang busters late that season. It was their improving pass rush that caused the Cowboys to come out running the ball in the first place.

Romo's game had come apart so the Cowboys changed their approach against the Giants from what they did in the first 2 meetings. Romo shredded the Giants in the first 2 games in 07 with 8 TD passes but his TD's were being replaced by turnovers the final month of the season. This caused the Cowboys to take a page out of the Bill Parcells play not to get beat book.

The Cowboys controlled the first half by running the ball but it only led to 14 points. They kept the Giants in the game which enabled Eli to manage his offense and avoid turnovers. Once Romo's game went in the toilet late that season it was over for the Cowboys. He went from throwing TD's to turning the ball over. It forced the team to start Barber and pound him rather than save him for later in the game and it backfired. Barber was never an effective starter he was a closer this is why his career faded so quickly once he became the starter.
  16. StylisticS

StylisticS Well-Known Member

8,296 Messages
    221 Likes Received
    Lol I meant he got hit pretty hard. Typing too fast on my phone.
  17. Dodger

Dodger Indomitable

4,211 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    Romo might just sling it around the yard again this time. Word I'm hearing is that Joe Haden may not play on Sunday, and if that's the case, the Browns will be playing without their regular two starting corners.

Dez might have a career game.
  18. hutch1254

hutch1254 Well-Known Member

1,434 Messages
    169 Likes Received
    I know it's...."the broooownnns" but I really don't under estimate anyone anymore. Cleveland has been in every game they've played this year to some extent. Worst loss is only by 10 points. This isn't the Browns team that loses by 25-30.

I think we handle this team and win, but we need to play like we're playing one of the best teams in the league. Execute, limit the mistakes that would give any kind of day light to the team like the Browns. The Browns have nothing to lose. Playing Dallas and Pittsburgh are their playoff games this year to them. Step on their throat and don't let off till you see 00:00.
  19. demdcowboys#1

demdcowboys#1 Active Member

1,462 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    O Line play was phenomenal that day. Too bad it has gone in the gutter.