1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Laufenberg and Broaddus disagree on the best option at center

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by erod, Feb 15, 2013.

1. erod

erod Well-Known Member

3,882 Messages
    924 Likes Received
    I think the world of Babe Laufenberg. If not for his incredible gift of gab and presence on the radio/TV, I could see him manning the sidelines as a head coach. I could definitely see him as at least a top offensive coordinator. Brilliant man.

Likewise, I have a great deal of respect for the eyes of Brian Broaddus. Former Cowboys scout with Parcells, plus the Packers and other places, he's always a good listen on the radio, and he obviously lives and breaths the scouting process. I think he wants to get back into Valley Ranch in that capactity again one day.

What I don't think the world of or respect much is the current state of the Cowboys' center position. But according to Babe and Brian, I'm wrong.

These dudes have me perplexed, especially since they don't even agree with each other on the answer to the center problem.

Laufenberg has a very high opinion of Phil Costa. He thinks the guy is going to be a very good center for a long time if he can stay healthy. He talks about his tenacity and his development constantly. Mind you, Laughenberg was touting Romo and Austin LONG before anyone else was around here. He's done the same with other players, too, and mostly been right. So his answer is, stay with Costa because he's ready to shine. (He did look good in the Baltimore game.)

Broaddus isn't in the Costa camp. Not at all, in fact. He likes Mackenzy Bernadeau as next year's starting center, and thinks he is much better suited to play center than guard. Broaddus recommends getting another guard to take his spot so he can slide over, then getting another tackle to replace Free, and voila, a much better line in place.

Both have access to Valley Ranch, so which one, if either, is floating out the intentions of the organization. Lord Landry knows, there's not much cash in the kitty to throw at a center in free agency.

Me? I tend to want to go get me another one in the draft, release Bernadeau, and have Costa backup at center and guard. But what do I know about pro football centering and such? I'm not Babe or Brian for sure.

I'll be interested to see how this one plays out, not just on the field, but among the eggsperts and guesstimators. And with the o-line as the most pressing and public problem, this is going to play out front and CENTER.

See what I did there?
  2. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,175 Messages
    1,433 Likes Received
    Mind you that Babe was a huge Kevin Ogletree fan, too. He does get things wrong. He's just very opinionated, arrogant, and stubborn about his opinions.
  3. erod

erod Well-Known Member

3,882 Messages
    924 Likes Received
    I think he was right about Ogletree's ability, but not his temperament and commitment.
  4. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,176 Messages
    767 Likes Received
    in the end Otree is a failure and that is all that matters
  5. burmafrd

40,176 Messages
    767 Likes Received
    I would go with the former scout over the former QB. scouts watch everything; QBs are busy looking downfield.
  6. lostar2009

lostar2009 Active Member

482 Messages
    60 Likes Received
    I like Costa and Kolwalski at center... I would not draft a center this year unless he could play multiple positions or is highly rated. For some reason our center position was really bang up last year and Kolwalski never touch the field players played out of position the whole 9.
  7. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,329 Messages
    998 Likes Received
    That would be my plan. Let Mack/Costa battle it out for starting center in camp, and replace the entire right side of the OLine.
  8. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

18,971 Messages
    4,145 Likes Received
    I wouldn't paint Broaddus as a Parcells guy. Parcells inherited him when he took the job and showed him the door not long after.

This is why you see Broaddus take subtle shots at Parcells on twitter with regularity. As if that hall of famer hasn't forgotten more football than he'll ever know.
  9. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

18,971 Messages
    4,145 Likes Received
    I like Costa at C too.

....for the Washington Redskins.
  10. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Did you see Braudus' draft show episode on DC.com where they discuss Centers?

When speaking about Costa he never says he's a bad option. What he says is that he's very leery of Cs with back problems. When he says he'd rather have Bernadeau at C, he is heavily weighing in the probability he will stay healthier than Costa.

I believe he is also weighing in his opinion that Bernadeau will be better at C than G, so if Bernadeau is in fact among the top best OL players on the roster, and the goal is to play the best 5 and maximize their abilities, then shifting Bernadeau to C should be a valid consideration.
  11. tunahelper

tunahelper Active Member

3,898 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    I like this thinking. Find a stop gap veteran RT to add some competition and draft the highest graded guard in the 1st.
  12. JerryFan

JerryFan Active Member

1,243 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    I almost fell out of my chair until I read the redskins part. LOL
  13. burmafrd

40,176 Messages
    767 Likes Received
    that is one reason I have never taken Broaddus's word for anything Parcells did. But otherwise he usually seems pretty solid.
  14. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

6,145 Messages
    656 Likes Received
    :post:

Babe has no idea what he is talking about. He loves him some Ogletree too. How did that work out?
    Broaddus is right on this one big time. What exactly has Costa shown? He had a below average year in 2011, and then he couldn't even stay on the field in 2012. Why on earth would you trust this guy as your center? He would be a decent backup center, that is about it.
  15. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,134 Messages
    661 Likes Received
    The important thing is adding talent.

Letting that talent then settle into a good group.

We clearly whiffed on Free last year. Had we started a Pro Bowl RT our OL would have looked OK. But to pay the worst starting OT in football Pro Bolwer cash we were destined to fail.

Costa and Bern both deserve to come back and compete for a job. I wouldn't pay costa big money and I wouldn't hesitate to use Bern as my interior back up.

But I also wouldn't panic. If a top notch RT is there I take that first and foremost. If not I am fine with a stud OG.
  16. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

46,902 Messages
    1,802 Likes Received
  17. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

2,265 Messages
    81 Likes Received
    bernie is a terrible guard. i have no problem with him competing with costa at center. thats what camp is for. at the very leats they both can play a little guard and gives you depth. i think if he can stay healthy costa can be a good center. but to me we have to get a guard because while we don't know if bernie can play center or not, we do know he is a very bad guard
  18. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,466 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    I side with Broaddus on this one. NOt that I think Berny would be a HoF center, but I agree he's better suited there.

I think it would be an upgrade over Costa and he'd be a solid player in that spot. We'd need a RG that could immediately become the 2nd or 3rd best offensive linemen on the team, and a RT that could be the 2nd or 3rd best offensive linemen on the team.

LIvings are Berny (as a center) are ok, but they should be your 4th and 5th best guys on the OL.
  19. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,466 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    The only Tackle I'd take in the first is FIsher (Joeckl won't be there and I'm not high on Johnson). Fisher most likely won't be there either (consensus is he's the 2nd best, IMO he's THE best T in the draft). So that leaves G and DT as the positions available at 18 that would be BPA. I'd be fine with either of those positions at at (Warmack or Cooper at 18, and a 2-3 of the DTs depending on how the top 17 picks shake out).
  20. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Our resident scout, couchscout, was also an Ogletree guy. It just goes to show you they're human too. I had high hopes for Dwayne Harris in camp and it turns out if you were going to pay someone to find the more talented player, I would have deserved the money.

:laugh2:

I'm taking offers. :p: