1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

LB DeVonte Holloman has earned himself a nickname…

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Aug 19, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Everything is everything... Staff Member

68,980 Messages
    9,384 Likes Received
    By Rainer Sabin / Reporter
    rsabin@dallasnews.com

GLENDALE, Ariz. — The Cowboys’ coaches have placed an emphasis on causing turnovers. Rookie linebacker DeVonte Holloman is practicing what they’re preaching.

“Hands Holloman,” safety Will Allen said. “He’s going to be a good player for us.”

“He has done a great job as a young guy,” linebacker Sean Lee said. “He knows how to play the game. He’s got instincts. He’s got ability.”

More: http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2013/08/rookie-linebacker-holloman-causes-another-turnover.html/
  2. 1LoyalCowboyFan

1LoyalCowboyFan Active Member

690 Messages
    97 Likes Received
    The guy was pretty upset he was drafted so late if I recall some of his tweets. The guy was a leader as a Gamecock and his work ethic seems to be translating great into the pros. Super excited to see this guy play this season.
  3. sadams

sadams Well-Known Member

1,566 Messages
    290 Likes Received
    this guy is a player. He just makes stuff happen
  4. erod

erod Well-Known Member

6,311 Messages
    3,485 Likes Received
    Really like this guy, espcially since I remember him well in college making plays all over the field. That tends to translate.

I think Matt Johnson would do the same if he could stay healthy.
  5. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,525 Messages
    1,437 Likes Received
    I love when these guys make plays to earn their spots. So much of it is right place, right time but that's not the story with Holloman's plays, he's actually attacking the ball. The int he made, he dug out of the ground like the pass was meant for him. We haven't seen DB's make ints like that around here in a long time, much less LB's.
    blackbull, 5Stars and WoodysGirl like this.
  6. Future

Future Intramural Legend

17,041 Messages
    2,131 Likes Received
    Wont argue with his ball skills, but both of Holloman's INTs were right place right time.

Against Mia, if the receiver doesnt drop the ball, he never scores the TD, and Saturday, the ball was overthrown to the checkdown. Agreed he made a couple nice plays, but without offensive errors, they probably dont happen.
  7. btcutter

btcutter Well-Known Member

3,088 Messages
    382 Likes Received

yes but some players always find themselves around the ball. being at right place at right times seems to happen for some more than others. if he is one of those players we are very lucky to get him.
  8. cowboys2233

cowboys2233 Well-Known Member

4,643 Messages
    924 Likes Received
    Love the player. Hate the nickname. Hands Holloman, really?
  9. Pottsville Maroons

Pottsville Maroons Member

707 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    well, if he ends up being the only guy that gets INTs, you could call him Han(ds) Solo.
  10. cowboys2233

cowboys2233 Well-Known Member

4,643 Messages
    924 Likes Received
    Hands Solo, the one man interception machine. See, now that's already better.
  11. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    indeed....so is Frederick, who looked great the other night. Not sure about Escobar yet but he has big potential. Same with Williams: he looks real solid and just needs to stay healthy. This draft COULD be really good....time will tell as it always does.
  12. Pessimist_cowboy

Pessimist_cowboy Well-Known Member

3,008 Messages
    1,155 Likes Received
    I'll say he is a starter next year . Lee , carter , Holloman for the next 8-10 years
  13. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,525 Messages
    1,437 Likes Received
    Ohh, I like that one... even though it basically means the rest of the D would have to have hands of stone for him to earn it. haha
  14. Titleist

Titleist Well-Known Member

946 Messages
    600 Likes Received
    Whoa, whoa lets not get ahead of ourselves. I like Holloman's potential, but he's definitely raw and not as strong against the run as Sims or Durant. Give him a year on the bench and he'll be ready to go.
  15. LeonDixson

LeonDixson Illegitimi non carborundum

9,890 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    How does that detract from what he did? I'd venture to guess, and it is only a guess, that at least 75% of INTs are only possible because of a WR tipping a pass or the QB not putting the ball in exactly the right place.
  16. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

54,583 Messages
    7,379 Likes Received
    After he got drafted and the scouting reports got posted I wondered why he wasn't drafted earlier. Glad we got him because I like what I've seen thus far.
  17. KDM256

KDM256 Active Member

454 Messages
    118 Likes Received
    Great player and seems like the sky is the limit with him in regards to potential.. Good to see players creating turnovers whether they were gimmes or not. He said had to make the play.