1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: League Continues To Adjust to Mimicked Cadences

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Hostile, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,556 Messages
    1,917 Likes Received
    http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/7038987/nfl-memo-offers-microphone-options-end-mimicking

In a league memo that some team executives, players and coaches believe is directly tied to Monday night's Cowboys-Redskins controversy surrounding errant snaps from Dallas rookie Phil Costa to quarterback Tony Romo, the NFL informed its clubs that as of this weekend centers no longer are required to wear a microphone for the purpose of television broadcasts.

"Clubs will have the option of having the microphone placed in the pads of the starting center OR in the pads of both starting guards," the memo reads. "If the club chooses the option of wiring both starting guards, the microphone will be opened on the pads of only one of the guards at any time ..."

The memo does not specify the reasons for a change in protocol, but players, coaches and executives who have spoken with ESPN on the condition of anonymity say they believe it is the result of persistently expressed concerns about the practice of teams using technology to detect opponents' verbal audibles, snap cadences and in-line adjustments. On Monday night, Costa claimed the opposing Redskins were shouting out simulated snap counts similar to Romo's normal cadence, which resulted in errant snaps from center.
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,435 Messages
    1,456 Likes Received
    this has been talked about before; when you mic the center or QB, that then offers the chance that the opposing team can listen in on the radio or wireless broadcasts. After the first quarter or so, they can then figure out audibles and other information that can be very valuable.
  3. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

4,427 Messages
    1,025 Likes Received
    Boy for something Costa, Romo and JG are lying about the league sure is going the extra mile here. Also does that mean that people in ESPN know this is happening and have been with holding it from the league?
  4. Hostile

118,556 Messages
    1,917 Likes Received
    Most of us don't know Costa, but I have to admit it surprises me that Cowboys fans think Romo and Garrett are lying even though they take the high road and say we have to fix it regardless.

Okay, so it really doesn't surprise me. I have to admit I've never seen so many people who dislike the players they profess to be fans of.
  5. burmafrd

41,435 Messages
    1,456 Likes Received
    I can see it now:

"WHAT DID ESPN KNOW AND WHEN DID THEY KNOW IT?"
  6. burmafrd

41,435 Messages
    1,456 Likes Received
    speaking for myself, I frankly thing the Boys and Costa SHOULD have been able to figure things out during the game and get the problem fixed THEN. Instead of stumbling around doing nothing.
  7. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,856 Messages
    2,583 Likes Received
    Isn't that something? Fans actually thinking that Romo and Garrett fibbed to cover up.
  8. Hostile

118,556 Messages
    1,917 Likes Received
    Like I said, despite their refusing to use it as an excuse. The entire team has simply said they have to fix it. I would think it would make Cowboys fans proud. Sadly, it hasn't at all.