1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

League emphasizing Officials physical conditioning

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jul 18, 2014.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,233 Messages
    7,062 Likes Received

2. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,558 Messages
    1,815 Likes Received
    This is actually a really good idea. In the same way that it's a lot easier for players to stay sharp and know their assignments if they aren't trying to catch their breath constantly, you'd think that better conditioning could result in a few less gaffes.
  3. elcowboi

elcowboi Active Member

875 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    I totally agree. It won't stop all of them but they may be more energized and not make as many mistakes.
  4. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

9,904 Messages
    1,883 Likes Received
    Yes, they can run down field faster only not to call the PI penalties....LOL...J/K
  5. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,266 Messages
    1,411 Likes Received
    Why aren't there some women in officiating? They too dumb and weak to throw a flag? I don't think so, and their participation in athletics warrants at least opportunities to come up through the ranks.
  6. dstovall5

dstovall5 Well-Known Member

2,853 Messages
    1,844 Likes Received
    I think a lot has to do with Women are minorities in sports compared to Men, It's just something not many take interest in. I mean just look at the LPGA, WNBA, and other women only leagues, they're no where near as popular.
  7. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,266 Messages
    1,411 Likes Received
    Heck, I thought there was some legislation against gender bias in the employment arena...as I recall, it had something to do with equal opportunities and wage levels.
  8. popp1234

popp1234 You will never outwork me, you talented bum! Zone Supporter

3,274 Messages
    286 Likes Received
    They need to check their eyesight while they are at it.
  9. CrownCowboy

CrownCowboy Active Member

530 Messages
    227 Likes Received
    It's hard to put conditioning requirements on a level anywhere close to officiating professional athletes on people that are approaching or have already exceeded the age of 60 years old.

I have noticed that they have indeed trotted some younger guys out there over the last few years, but how conditioned can they expect the majority of the officials in the NFL to be when they are approaching, if not exceeded, retirement age?

It was really bad in the 90's if I recall. It seemed like they stopped by the retirement home to pick up the officials before each game back then.
  10. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,859 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    2014 could mark debut of first NFL full-time, female referee

[IMG]

The NFL might not be that far away from having its first full-time female official on the field. And when -- not if -- it happens, look to 2014 as the year and look to Sarah Thomas as the zebra breaking ground.

Thomas, 39, became the first female to ever officiate an NCAA football game in 2007 -- as well as a bowl game, when she was the line judge for the 2009 Little Caesar's Bowl -- and after spending a few days in the league's official developmental program, she's on track to become the first female to officiate an NFL game.

The league told the Associated Press that Thomas is "in our pipeline" and 2014 looks like a reasonable target year for Thomas to make her full-time debut.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...rk-debut-of-first-nfl-fulltime-female-referee
    EST_1986, WoodysGirl and CCBoy like this.
  11. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,266 Messages
    1,411 Likes Received
    Great share, Speed...right on target. Thanks.