1. CowboysZone Upgrade Coming Soon! For more information, click here.

News: Leon Lett moves past infamous football blunders to promising coaching career

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jul 29, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Everything is everything... Staff Member

69,212 Messages
    9,754 Likes Received
    OXNARD, Calif. – Here is Leon Lett early in middle age now and he is standing in the soft light of a fading afternoon both imperceptibly tall and shockingly thin.
    His playing weight disappeared years ago, making him impossible to recognize for anyone who remembers only the fat man sliding through the slush on that fateful day in Texas Stadium. And since all anyone remembers of Leon Lett is the fat man in the snow or the fat man being chased down by Don Beebe in the Super Bowl, he is all but invisible here. Hundreds of fans ring the practice field in lines 10 and 15 deep. They wear team jerseys and shout things like: "Cowboys for life!" They beg players for autographs.

But they don't shout at the tall lean man standing in a windbreaker with a ball cap on his head. They don't know he is the team's defensive tackles coach. They don't beg him to sign their footballs as they did back when he was fat and anchored the line on three Super Bowl champion defenses.

They have no idea who he is.

Read the rest: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--leon-lett-coaching-football-dallas-cowboys-071202633.html
    Reality likes this.
  2. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

2,321 Messages
    810 Likes Received
    Great article. Good for him!!
  3. ologan

ologan Well-Known Member

3,947 Messages
    331 Likes Received
    I was so mad at him on that turkey day, because that lost us the game (Didn't matter in the long run, did it?).
    I was so mad at him when Beebe caught up with him and knocked the ball out, because had he scored and with the extra point, I would have won a substantial SB pot.
    Today, he's one of my all time favorite Cowboys. So glad to see him back with the team. Seems to have evolved into one of those "right kind of guys".
    jobberone likes this.
  4. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

41,724 Messages
    5,922 Likes Received
    Big Cat was good. So good I thought he had a chance to be a HOF player. Too bad he blew it on drugs. In the end he straightened it out and I'm glad to have the guy.
  5. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

42,810 Messages
    2,356 Likes Received
    I agree he could have been a HOF player if he could have stayed away from the Junk. Just like Hollywood.
    jobberone likes this.
  6. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

41,724 Messages
    5,922 Likes Received
    Glad you brought Hollywood up, too! Yes, he was talented enough to be a HOF player as well. Walker could have been had he gone straight to the NFL IMO. We could've added those to a list of other Cowboys who should be in the Hall now.
  7. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

11,603 Messages
    1,738 Likes Received
    The Miami game on Thanksgiving in '93,.. I felt really bad for Lett.

The play in the Super Bowl was way overblown by the media because he was a Dallas Cowboy. The play meant nothing as far as the outcome of the game itself.

Plays where the ball carrier drops or tosses the ball prior to crossing the goal-line are way more stupid as far as I'm concerned, and nothing is made of those plays.

I always liked Leon Lett.
    jobberone likes this.
  8. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

9,438 Messages
    622 Likes Received
    If Walker went straight to the NFL, we'd have never landed with a low round draft pick. He would have been picked in the top 5.
  9. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

5,028 Messages
    855 Likes Received
    I never thought those gaffes he's famous for were nearly as negative as the writer implies, embarrassing yes, but the fact that the Cowboys went on to win it all erased the mistakes IMO.

Leon was always a personal favorite of mine, in fact "EGG" is short for "El Gato Grande" which is an homage to the Big Cat :)
    jobberone likes this.
  10. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

8,381 Messages
    1,747 Likes Received
    Both plays were overblown. The Super Bowl play doesn't take away that the Bills got their *** kicked that day but you would never know it they way the media talks about that insignificant play. The Thanksgiving game turned out to be a blessing as we never lost again after that and won the Super Bowl and Miami lost every game and missed the playoffs.
    Cyko1 likes this.
  11. JakeCamp12

JakeCamp12 Well-Known Member

2,182 Messages
    135 Likes Received
    The only issue I had with Lett was he let the team down with all of the drug suspensions. He became a distraction that they didn't need.
  12. Blast From The Past

Blast From The Past Well-Known Member

1,014 Messages
    66 Likes Received
    Leon Lett was a huge part of the teams of the 90's. So talented but demons seemed to be his struggle more than opposing players. I am so very happy to have him coaching on our team and doing something he loves as well as connecting with the current players. Go "Big Cat!"
  13. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

34,341 Messages
    10,507 Likes Received
    Don't agree on the MIA game. That play single-handedly lost us the game. It turned out not to be that significant, but it was a big gaffe. The Superbowl thing was just dumb, but it was still a big play in our favor at the time, and the outcome of the game was not in doubt.
  14. mldardy

8,381 Messages
    1,747 Likes Received
    I'm looking more at the bigger picture and what happens to both teams after that game. At the time I was just as pissed and miserable as any Cowboy fan but in the bigger picture Lett's mistake meant nothing and that is what is most important.
  15. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Well-Known Member

4,914 Messages
    619 Likes Received
    Umm, that Lett play on Thanksgiving meant a TON. The Cowboys would not lose again that year, but it basically set up a winner take all game against the Giants the last week of the season. That is the game where Emmitt played with a hurt shoulder. Another win, and Emmitt would have been on the sideline resting instead of having to play hurt.
  16. mldardy

8,381 Messages
    1,747 Likes Received
    Um I guess I'm going around in circles and repeating the same thing. Lett's mistake at the time meant a lot but in the bigger picture it meant nothing.You aren't saying anything I haven't already said.
  17. mldardy

8,381 Messages
    1,747 Likes Received
    To add to what I said and if the Cowboys had won that game against the Dolphins our record would have been 12-3 going into that Giants game and the Giants record still would have been 11-4. I looked at the tiebreakers within the division and everything was even that applied. Both teams division record, common games and games played within conference were the same. I don't know what each teams strength of victory would have been going into that game but I feel pretty safe in saying we still needed to win that game against the Giants regardless of what happened in that Dolphins game.

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
    2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
    3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
    4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
    5. Strength of victory.