1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Lesser known movies / TV shows that you love(d)

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Wimbo, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Wimbo

Wimbo Active Member

4,133 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I have 'discovered' a few lesser known or less popular movies/tv shows that I absolutely loved. For whatever reason, they didn't make it to the mainstream hot list. These movies/shows generally turn out to be some of my favorites. Just curious if any of you know of any gems than didn't get their due attention when they came out?

A couple that I never watched when they originally aired, but later loved are:

1) Firefly - awesome TV series that was cut by Fox after one season. It developed something of a cult following, so a movie was made later called Serendipity with the original cast. Loaded with people you know from other shows (title character from Castle, alien leader from the series V, Agent Casey from 'Chuck', among others).

2) The Battlestar Galactica remake. I'm a sucker for sci-fi. I bought the blu ray bundle and watches all the episodes over about 1-2 months. First 2 seasons were best.

3) Star Trek Enterprise - I liked the storyline that they were absolutely the weakest technology in space & had to work things out with their wits.

4) Hero - a Quentin Tarantino/Jet Li martial arts film with amazing cinematography.
  2. Lodeus

Lodeus Well-Known Member

2,985 Messages
    218 Likes Received
    Twin Peaks - Show that got cancelled after two seasons. Left with a whole lot of questions because of the cancellation though.

I Saw the Devil - One of my favorite movie discoveries ever. A revenge film that is a bit violent, but done well enough not to ruin it.
  3. wittenacious

wittenacious Active Member

2,805 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Loved the Firefly TV series, too. Should not have been cancelled when it was. Great cast. Very good writing. Just a good overall show.

The movie version was called Serenity, after the name of the ship the crew was on. Serendipity was a John Cusack/ Kate Beckinsale movie. I actually liked that one also. Did you see it Wimbo?

A couple other TV shows/series I liked that ended too soon: Arrested Development, Stargate Universe

Three non-blockbuster but enjoyable Movies, IMO: Serenity, Chronicles of Riddick, Holes (Disney Pictures)
  4. Lodeus

Lodeus Well-Known Member

2,985 Messages
    218 Likes Received
    Arrested Development is coming back. Lets hope its done well.
  5. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

5,492 Messages
    1,468 Likes Received
    Paradise Hotel, it was on the reality channel. Showed lots of drama and skin :)
  6. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I was going to say Twin Peaks too, I just Netflixed it this past two months. But would it really be lesser known? It was pretty hot when it first came out, everybody heard about it.

I'd say the movie is definitely lesser known and generally hated.
    I still don't know what to make of it.
  7. wittenacious

2,805 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I heard AD was supposed to be coming back. Saw or read something about it a few months ago. Nothing much since. Still on track, as far as you know? They were trying to get most or all of the original cast back together, best I recall.

If they do bring the show back, I hope it's well done, too. If most of the original cast comes back, I'd think they would demand it.
  8. Lodeus

Lodeus Well-Known Member

2,985 Messages
    218 Likes Received
    I was too young when it came out though. Seems like lesser known show these days.
  9. Lodeus

Lodeus Well-Known Member

2,985 Messages
    218 Likes Received
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

:)
  10. wittenacious

2,805 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That's outstanding! Thanks, Lodeus.
  11. Wimbo

Wimbo Active Member

4,133 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    wow. major brain fart. thanks for correcting me.
  12. wittenacious

2,805 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I was sure you really knew. The correction was more for others, in case they wanted to check it out. You obviously enjoyed both the TV series and movie as much as I did. ;)

Still watch reruns of both Serenity and the Firefly series on Netflix, whenever one or both are in cycle.
  13. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

27,929 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    :bow: to all four examples.

I would recommend SyFy's Lost Girl. It's quirky and not necessarily for kids, but it's a fun show.
  14. baj1dallas

baj1dallas New Member

6,556 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    an anime movie called Grave of the Fireflies.
  15. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton it was the grave marked unknown right beside

6,475 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Red Rock West
    White Sands
    Welcome to Colinwood
    Fargo
  16. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,350 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    Fargo? The movie? Lesser known? Really?
  17. Arch Stanton

6,475 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    A few more...
    Once upon a time in America.
    Trainspotting
    Angel Heart
  18. Arch Stanton

6,475 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Thank you Barry Norman.
  19. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    Lesser known? Nuts all of those shows were hyped to the max.

Firefly was all over the place - it got canceled because outside of a few nerds no one watched.

PC pressure made the studio go for the movie and it only did fair at the BO. WHich is why nothing else has ever been done.

Everything Tarantino does gets lots of publicity.

You need to check your definition of Lesser Known.

Now a show like Space:Above and Beyond was lesser known and frankly better than anything you mentioned.

The BSG remake went too far to the other side - as the original was cartoonish almost the remake was a joke going the other way. Totallly Politically correct mess only saved by great acting by Olmos and a few others.
  20. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

4,855 Messages
    336 Likes Received
    Odyssey 5, shown on Showtime.

Five astronauts on the space shuttle are transported back in time by an alien to find out what caused the entire Earth to explode, which it did while they were in orbit...