1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Let women into Augusta golf club

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Doomsday101, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,043 Messages
    1,598 Likes Received
    (CNN) -- Well, well. The boys at Augusta National Golf Club -- members and sponsors alike -- are in a big bind. Nine years after I led an unsuccessful effort by the National Council of Women's Organizations to open membership in the club to women, the "woman problem" is back.

This time it involves Virginia Rometty, the first female chief executive of IBM. IBM is a major sponsor of Augusta National's Masters Golf Tournament, and up to now its CEOs have always been given membership in the club. But none has ever been a woman. So what happens now -- will Augusta National open its doors to women? Or will IBM pull its sponsorship and force its other executives to resign their club memberships?

These are the only two real choices.

We've said all along that this is not about golf. It is about access to the places where big business is done, deals are made and careers are boosted or broken. Half of Augusta's membership (which reads like a roster of Fortune 500 CEOs) probably doesn't even care about golf, but the members do care about power relationships. According to Fortune magazine, "golf remains the true communications hub of America's business elite."

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/02/opinion/burk-augusta-ibm/index.html?hpt=hp_c3
  2. Doomsday101

75,043 Messages
    1,598 Likes Received
    Side note. There are only 300 members

And just to play there? well here is some tips

The following tactics probably aren’t feasible for most (and I’m not going to waste your time with stuff like, ”win a PGA Tour event or the US/British Amateur,” which get you invited to play in the Masters) , but I do know of people who have used these methods to play Augusta National:

1. Become a caddie. Yes, Augusta National Golf Club employs caddies and they do get some limited playing privileges. Specifically, there’s a “Caddie Day” held just prior to the course closing in May in which caddies are treated to all-day play and a food/drink buffet.

The obvious question, of course, is: how does one become a caddie at Augusta National? Well, a company called CaddieMaster Enterprises trains and supplies the caddies for the club, so you have to apply through them. But if you try this route, you better know your stuff. We hear it’s a pretty tough application and screening process.

2. Become a volunteer. More good news: Masters Tournament volunteers also get the chance to play the course in May. The bad news: as you might imagine, there’s a waiting list to become one of the 400 or so volunteers. The worse news: some say the waiting list is so long that the club has closed it. (In addition to the regular volunteers, many people on the Augusta National Golf Club membership list come down to help run the tournament).

3. Become an employee. Like any highly coveted organization, it helps to know someone at Augusta National if you want to work there. But if you manage to land a job, you’ll get to play the course once a year.

4. Join the golf media. After The Masters, there is a drawing and 32 lucky members of the media get to play Augusta National the day after the tournament (under Sunday conditions, no less).

5. Befriend a member. Or, perhaps, do a fair amount of business with a member’s company. To help in this regard, there is a link to Augusta National’s membership list in the free report mentioned above and below.

Even if Augusta National Golf Club remains out of reach, the good news is that the vast majority of top private courses in the United States and around the world are well within your grasp.

http://www.golfvacationinsider.com/private-golf-courses/how-to-play-augusta-national-golf-club-5873
  3. hipfake08

hipfake08 Well-Known Member

4,074 Messages
    51 Likes Received
    I just want a ticket to walk the course during Masters week.
  4. Doomsday101

75,043 Messages
    1,598 Likes Received
    That would be nice as well. I would just love one time to play at that course. Not going to happen. :D
  5. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

26,587 Messages
    1,910 Likes Received
    I heard a story about some guys that got let in a back gate to play the course by a groundskeeper they befriended.

Because of all of the junk surrounding Tiger Woods' play/membership long ago, I'd prefer not to play the course...I don't particularly care.
  6. Doomsday101

75,043 Messages
    1,598 Likes Received
  7. Illini88228

Illini88228 Well-Known Member

1,194 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    People sure do worry a lot about who a private club lets in. Not saying how they do things is right, it just seems like there are more pressing injustices in the world than who gets to join a golf club.
  8. Doomsday101

75,043 Messages
    1,598 Likes Received
    Of course there are more pressing needs but those who disagree with Augusta on women being made members have the right to express it. On the other hand as a private entity they have the right to set their membership however they see fit. One year a women’s group choose to go after the sponsors and Hootie Johnson the head man at Augusta said fine we will run the Masters commercial free and did so. Hootie will not be bullied into changing his views.
  9. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,150 Messages
    1,285 Likes Received
    yeah with all the real problems in this world this twit thinks Augusta not having women in it is important. Just shows how stupid she is
  10. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,083 Messages
    266 Likes Received
    question though is do you think it is right not to allow women as members?

The Augusta National parties must be pretty boring affairs, only men present.
  11. Doomsday101

75,043 Messages
    1,598 Likes Received
    Women can attend different affairs, they can't be members. Women on the LPGA have had the chance to play there as guest but again they can't be members.

Right or wrong? As I said a private club can set their own rules. Augusta only has 300 member to begin with so it is very exclusive
  12. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,005 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    It's all about power. Exclusivity helps that. I think Augusta is at least useful as a bad example.

But it's golf. I could care less....but not by much.
  13. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

6,583 Messages
    267 Likes Received
    Rometty plays golf but is not an avid player. Burk is using her to push an agenda. I doubt she give a rip if Rometty is a member or not.

Having said that I have mixed feeling about Augusta. There are a lot of private clubs and they have the right to govern who can be members. There are a lot of private male and female clubs. IMO they either change the law making it is illegal or leave it the way it is.
  14. casmith07

26,587 Messages
    1,910 Likes Received
    I think that's wrong. It would be awesome if Augusta hosted a women's Masters tournament every year.

They'd help erase some of the good ole boys image they have, and make heaps of cash in the process with new sponsors along with viewership, etc.

I'm also surprised their policy hasn't been challenged in court yet either, under an equal protection or discrimination complaint. Augusta would likely lose if someone had the stones to sue them over it, particularly in today's day and age. 15 to 20 years ago I'd say they were safe, however.
  15. casmith07

26,587 Messages
    1,910 Likes Received
    Gender based discrimination is illegal, but the "private club" good ole boys network style of control is still somehow allowed to be above the law.
  16. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

6,583 Messages
    267 Likes Received
    There are plenty of female only private work out clubs. You can not join them if you are male.
  17. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,467 Messages
    235 Likes Received
    Members of a private club shouldn't be allowed to have whomever they please as members?

One of the silliest things posted in the history of this forum.
  18. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,604 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    they have been letting women in Augusta for years......in and out of Tiger's cabana
  19. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Doesn't matter, it's a private club that has the right to refuse membership to anyone for any reason they see fit.

What anybody thinks about it is totally irrelevant and not really worth discussing IMO. It's no different than private female gyms which refuse membership to men.
  20. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    "Somehow"? Good grief... :laugh2:

A truly private club (meaning privately owned and free from contact with interstate commerce) can discriminate based on any criteria they want, and people are free to deny them their business if they do not agree with their practices.

It truly baffles me how so many people either believe the government has supreme authority over private enterprise or wish they did. Private autonomy is dwindling enough as it is.