1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Lethal Injection

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Rackat, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Constitutional or not?

The Supreme Court will be weighing in on this topic in the near future.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2008-01-03-court_N.htm?csp=34

Two questions for the Zoners:

Do you believe Lethal Injection is unconstitutional?

Do you believe Lethal Injection is the best method for carrying out the death penalty when given by a jury?
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    Who the hell cares if those murderers suffer a little in the last moments of their life?
    If you want a sure way of doing it, be like the French and use the Guilotine. No way anyone lasts long; no way its not over quick.
  3. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    It's ironic that I should come across this, just after reading this:
    Awful Story

When it comes to unequivocal guilt, I couldn't care less about the treatment or well being of a so-called human, who does horrible things to other people.

Dennis Rader and the like come quickly to mind. In his case, lethal injection would be too kind.

I'd prefer a long session with a baseball bat.
  4. CowboyJeff

CowboyJeff New Member

1,905 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Constitutional? Yes. Best method? No. I believe whatever was doneto the victim should be done to the criminal.
  5. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,451 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    There are any number of lawless and retrogressive places where that sort of brutal mindset still predominates--Africa, the Middle East, and the hinterlands of Asia come to mind. You want our country to systematically incorporate that sort of barbaric savagery into its judicial institutions and disregard several hundred years of Western justice? :confused:
  6. burmafrd

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    Typical of liberals to have sympathy for murderers.
  7. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,846 Messages
    611 Likes Received
    I would have to agree with the Liberal on this ..... I think the Law should be above revenge.

I agree with the death penalty ...... But we should do it as human as possible to show we are better than the skum.

Now if it was a member of my family I would feel differently and probably try to take care of it myself. But thinking clearly about the subject thats how I feel.
  8. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,451 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    It's called preserving the moral integrity of our judicial system and not implicating the law abiding citizens of this country in acts of vengeful savagery. But, of course, if you want to be more like Iran and Saudi Arabia I'm sure there's a constituency for you out there.
  9. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I am pro death penalty and the only thing I have against it is it's not used enough.
  10. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Lethal Injection will be found Constitutional I believe and rightfully so.

As far as it being the best method, I would say it's a far cry better than what most of these people did to their victims.

These people IMO deserve to die...and basically putting them to sleep isn't exactly the worst way they could go...Electric chair or Gas Chamber anyone?

Look matter how you do it some people aren't going to like it.

Personally I have no problem with the eye for an eye way...but obviously that will never fly. But I would do it if I could.
  11. burmafrd

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    Moral integrity of our judicial system. Only someone like Sasqie could actually be serious about that.
  12. zrinkill

32,846 Messages
    611 Likes Received
    The Main problem with the eye for an eye method is ..... who is gonna enforce it?

If a Guy beats someone to death with a baseball bat ..... who are you gonna have beat him to death with one? I think anyone who applied for that job would be a danger as well.

Not every victim would have a family member up to the task.
  13. burmafrd

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    I think you could always find someone willing to beat someone else to death with a baseball bat.
  14. zrinkill

32,846 Messages
    611 Likes Received
    But would you want that person to be not locked up Burm?

I understand what you are saying ..... but the reality is that is would not be practice without hiring murderers to do it.

And if you do that it starts turning into a gladiator like deal ......

Thats a very slippery slop that is unnecessary. If they are ruled to be to dangerous to be allowed to live .... just kill them as quickly, cleanly, and efficiently as possible.
  15. Mavs Man

Mavs Man All outta bubble gum

4,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :signmast:

Life without the possibility of parole would be an acceptable answer. I think many favor the death penalty because too many dangerous felons are released not just on early parole, but oftentimes only a matter years (or even months) after committing murder, rape, child molestation, etc. and have no business returning to society.
  16. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Oh it will NEVER happen...wouldn't really be even considered I'm sure.

Just what I would do if possible.
  17. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,878 Messages
    2,121 Likes Received
    If given the choice of being hanged, electrocuted or put in front of a firing squad I think I would take the lethal injection. I'm not a big supporter of the death penalty but I do think there are certain individuals whose crime was so cruel that they are getting what they deserve. I don't celebrate it but I do think in some cases it is just.
  18. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Liberals are amazing beings. How many people on the face of the earth can claim that they would rather kill an unborn baby than a serial killer? Remarkable...

The only thing unjust about the death penalty is that it isnt nearly painful enough. Some people just deserve to be thrown feet-first into a woodchipper or given a 45 minute session with an aluminum baseball bat
  19. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'd have zero problem personally beating someone who raped and murdered a child to death
  20. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I am not sure if it is unconstitutional or not, but I disagree with the Death Penalty because there is too much room for error.

I sat on a Capital Murder Trial Jury for 1 week and day and became very familiar at how behind the scenes manuevering by both sides can prevent critical information from reaching the eyes and ears of the jury.

I even saw one guy become a Jury Member and he didn't even speak English, which is a basic requirement for sitting on jury in Dallas County. Was the guy replaced? Sure, but I wouldn't be suprised if several have slipped through the cracks.

An older woman on our jury wanted to convict the defendant of Capital Murder soley because he had cheated on his wife and sold drugs.

Personally, I think if America was a more homogeneous society, the Death Penatly could work. But America is too much of a melting pot and too many people bring their own personal biases to the Jury Room.