1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Let's say Te'o is still there when we draft?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Texan_Eph89, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Texan_Eph89

Texan_Eph89 Well-Known Member

1,062 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    Would you draft him with the idea of switching to a 4-3? Ryan's scheme is doing well, but the idea of having Carter, Lee, and Te'o would be awesome.

Obviously we need to spend several picks on OL, then S, then RB, but i don't know if I could pass on Te'o..
  2. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,035 Messages
    2,265 Likes Received
    No...

Sean Lee and Bruce Carter is more than enough.
  3. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,667 Messages
    1,486 Likes Received
    Yes, the pick has to be cant miss. T'eo is cant miss. Just on the marketing possibilities alone Jer would take him in a minute. Put your 11 best guys out there on defense and he'd be one of em.
  4. kirkjrk

kirkjrk Active Member

905 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Possibly move Carter to OLB if Spencer leaves. He can stay with TE going down the field.
  5. respectdatstar

respectdatstar Member

685 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I have been thinking about this for a while myself. I think they could probably pull it off.

DE - DeMarcus Ware
    DT - Josh Brent
    DT - Jay Ratliff
    DE - Tyrone Crawford

OLB - Sean Lee
    MLB - Manti Te'o
    OLB - Bruce Carter

Any objections?
  6. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,175 Messages
    337 Likes Received
    If we had 2008-2009 Jay Ratliff, I'd think about it. Brent is a rotational player and shouldn't be a starter, but I'd give it some thought.

However QBs would have nothing but clean pockets with Brent+Ratliff starting.

Just as unlikely as your scenario, cause Te'o won't be there, I'd take

DE- Jason Hatcher
    NT- Star Lotulelei
    DE- Jay Ratliff
    OLB- Ware
    ILB- Lee
    ILB- Carter
    OLB- Spencer

over the other proposed lineup (the idea of Crawford over Spencer is laughable so I'd put him at the other DE if we switched).
  7. respectdatstar

respectdatstar Member

685 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    The whole premise for this thread is that he is available and we take him. It is way more likely that Te'o is there when we pick than Lotulelei. Star is a top 5 pick by my estimation. Te'o is top 10 with the possibility of sliding into the teens. What do I know, though?
  8. respectdatstar

respectdatstar Member

685 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Also, I am working under the assumption that Spencer is not retained due to cost.
  9. Manwiththeplan

5,175 Messages
    337 Likes Received
    Your more likely to get hit by lightning than attacked by a shark, but neither is likely. Yea Star will likely go before Te'o but I doubt we have a shot at either.

Guess the point I was making adding Te'o, while makes sense from a BPA stand point, doesn't improve the team as much as another player.
  10. Manwiththeplan

5,175 Messages
    337 Likes Received
    Just don't see a viable option to replace him. Cliff Avrill is likely the best option, but I'm not sure how realistic that is.

*edit*

actually I shouldn't say that. There are several replacements that could be found in round 1. Several that will be available and can likely atleast provide the same production early in their career. However, I really don't want to spend a first round pick on OLB. I think Spencer is under valued by our fan base and is not the problem (very few these days) on defense.
  11. respectdatstar

respectdatstar Member

685 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Ok. My concern is bringing somebody in, paying them like a 4-3 DE and then playing them at 3-4 OLB. He has to be on-board for that, first of all. And there is no way of knowing that he will take to it. It's a huge gamble. I'd rather bring in a 3-4 OLB or re-sign Spencer.
  12. Manwiththeplan

5,175 Messages
    337 Likes Received
    Hate to keep harping on this, but if there isn't an inside push, even DeMarcus Ware will disappear for long stretches. And in free agency, if we're gonna spend big, I'd roll the dice on Jarius Byrd. Doubt we go crazy, but if we had 1 big signing it should be him.
  13. Manwiththeplan

5,175 Messages
    337 Likes Received
    yea, I basically said that in another thread, but there aren't any 3-4 OLBs better than Spencer available. And thank you for realizing the likely large difference in pay between a 4-3 DE of Avrill's ability versus a 3-4 OLB of the same ability (which I think Spencer is).

Wouldn't be the worst thing, just not how I would spend the resources we have.
  14. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,845 Messages
    1,688 Likes Received
    Spencer is going to cost too much to keep
    Simple as that

So while I badly want O linemen I think using the first to get his replacement would be a good thing

But of course would love the thought of Teo on the Boys.

Just thinking of Teo next to Lee

Talk about something that would scare QBs the league over
  15. MartinRamone

MartinRamone Well-Known Member

1,470 Messages
    112 Likes Received
    You just dont pass on Te'o.
  16. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm a big fan of taking OL all day in this draft....but if Te'o falls to us you don't pass on him.
  17. brucekr

brucekr Active Member

357 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    I'd rather have 2 OL that you could trade that pick for. Having another great LB isn't going to take us over the hump to be a SB winning great team. I think a couple of good young linemen could.
  18. coogrfan

coogrfan Well-Known Member

1,557 Messages
    235 Likes Received
    Absolutely. We have too many glaring needs at other positions (OL, DL, S, WR) to use a #1 on yet another LB.
  19. CopenhagenCowboy

CopenhagenCowboy Active Member

944 Messages
    97 Likes Received
    Spencer's replacement or OL in round 1 for me.
  20. Phrozen Phil

Phrozen Phil Active Member

3,893 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    Teo's a great college player who's likely to be a great NFL'er. i would not pass on him, but we're not going to sniff him unless Jerry makes a trade like he did last year. This year makes no sense to pull that kind of transaction. We need beef in the trenches on both sides. If we don't find the talent to protect Romo, then we will more seven-sack games and a shortened career for our QB. Our Safety situation needs a good look-see as well.