1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Let's talk about Morris Claiborne

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by The Natural, Sep 8, 2013.

1. The Natural

The Natural Well-Known Member

4,847 Messages
    1,610 Likes Received
    I get the feeling through one season and one game tonight, folks are not very impressed with his play. Do you all see it as a scheme issue? Does he need to jam his man at the line? I gotta tell you, I dont know his 40 time but he has never looked particularly fast in-game to me, doesn't seem to like contact that much either. I'm holding out hope this guy puts it together this year similar to the way Jenkins did his second year but its not off to a good start.
  2. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

7,101 Messages
    672 Likes Received
    Rooting for him to play well but am a little concerned right now. Hope for the best.
  3. SHAMSzy

SHAMSzy Active Member

363 Messages
    179 Likes Received
    Seems soft and not great in coverage. I wish him the best and want him to be elite but that's just what I see.
  4. The Natural

4,847 Messages
    1,610 Likes Received
    As am I. But really disappointed so far..I mean this was a top 10 pick.
  5. JBell523

JBell523 That's my Quarterback

3,369 Messages
    593 Likes Received
    He wasn't particularly fast and didn't like tackling in college either. The reason some people were able to overlook those concerns was because he was supposed to be a playmaking ballhawk, but we have yet to see that.
  6. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

10,249 Messages
    1,721 Likes Received
    Tonight was basically the first time he has played since last season. Let's give it a couple of weeks at least.
    stardeep likes this.
  7. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

7,101 Messages
    672 Likes Received
    With a trade up too. He's young and maybe it clicks soon.
  8. kevm3

kevm3 Well-Known Member

1,056 Messages
    602 Likes Received
    He didn't look great tonight, but he didn't play all preseason and was matched up against Hakeem Nicks. Not surprised he was getting dusted. My concern with Claiborne is that he isn't all that physical when it comes to tackling. I'll give him a couple of more games to see if he steps it up.
    links18 likes this.
  9. tupperware

tupperware A Plastic Container

7,269 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    And that's the issue, to me. I know players need time, but for a top 10 pick, I would have expected far more flashes of brilliance. I just don't see them. Maybe it's because he's hurt, I really don't know. I just don't recall seeing very many plays where I'm like "Wow, when this guy really gets it he's going to be a star" and for where we drafted him and considering our CBs, we really need him to be a star. I'm going to be highly upset if he winds up a bust, but time will tell.
    dallasfan4lizife and The Natural like this.
  10. FLCowboyFan

FLCowboyFan Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.

2,387 Messages
    236 Likes Received
    Remember......he wasn't experienced coming out of college. We drafted him for his athletic ability and he has been hurt
  11. kristie

kristie Well-Known Member

7,618 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    same here.
  12. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,390 Messages
    646 Likes Received
    He sucks. Next.
  13. dart

dart Benched

811 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    now hes some kind of knee injury - I don't even see a career as good as Newman's
  14. The Natural

4,847 Messages
    1,610 Likes Received
    TELL ME thats not really what we did
  15. Cowboy06

Cowboy06 Active Member

468 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    I know I'll be shot down, but I would like to see a better CB bought in and let Claiborne move to FS (if he's able). He doesn't seem to like to hit, but I think he's better when he has time to react and ballhawk.
  16. The Natural

4,847 Messages
    1,610 Likes Received
    In his prime Newman was arguably a Top 5-7 corner with real shut down ability. I think he lived up to his draft selection.
  17. Hoov

Hoov Senior Member

5,310 Messages
    590 Likes Received
    he was playing off his man quite a bit, receivers were getting open underneath him - it seems like that was part of the game plan - they were giving up the slants. The first TD was not on him. Eli did have a lot of time on some 3rd down throws. Id need more info to judge how well he played tonigt
  18. 03EBZ06

03EBZ06 Need2Speed

7,979 Messages
    411 Likes Received
    I don't think he is fully recovered from his injury.
    Garland powerplay likes this.
  19. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

10,249 Messages
    1,721 Likes Received
    We're going to move a second year #1 draft pick CB to safety?
  20. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,503 Messages
    6,058 Likes Received
    i said it was terrible move to trade up for him. i'm shocked there are still some that defend the move. he's brittle, he gets hurt easily, which leads him to never practicing. when the media asked him if he planned to come back for the last preseason game, he didn't sound excited to do so. just compare him to peterson who the cardinals got the year before one spot earlier. mo is so damn passive it pisses me off. he plays like he knows he's slow so he has to give a newman-like cushion on every play.
    newlander, The Natural and dart like this.