1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Lets talk about Ryan Shazier

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by tm1119, Jan 18, 2014.

1. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,098 Messages
    675 Likes Received
    102 solo tackles this year to go along with 23.5 TFL. The kid is absolutely all over the field and a great tackler. Also very good in coverage and has the speed to stick with most TE's and RB's.

The obvious weakness in his game is that he needs to add weight and strength, but I don't think he would have a problem being a 6'2 230-235 pound LB by the end of training camp.

I think he's very comparable to Alec Ogletree last year who was supposed to be a top 20 pick until he got a DUI. Anybody else like this kid?
  2. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,746 Messages
    5,904 Likes Received
    It depends on where he is available. There are several players that I like as a 2nd round pick but once they're projected to the mid-first round I don't like them as much.

Shazier is a good player, but I wouldn't be in favor of drafting him in the 1st or 2nd. I see other players that I would prefer at those picks.
    Leadbelly likes this.
  3. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

3,487 Messages
    813 Likes Received
    Took the words out of my mouth.

I also like our LB core with Wilbur on the strong side next season. We need depth, but you don't spend a first or second rounder on a guy for depth.
  4. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,098 Messages
    675 Likes Received

Kyle Wilber belongs absolutely no where near a starting position on any defense.

But I agree that it would take 1 heck of a combine + added weight for me to consider Shazier at 16, but 2nd round and he's a no brainer for me.

I was told linebackers aren't that important in Kiffin's scheme and we don't need need to invest any picks there last year. How'd that work out for us? The fact is that Lee can't be counted on to play a full season, Carter is a huge ?, and after that we have a whole lot of nothing behind them. And that last point was painfully obvious to watch. We need to add at least 1 quality starting LB somewhere this off-season.
  5. texbumthelife

3,487 Messages
    813 Likes Received
    Wilber was quite possibly our best defensive player and easily our best linebacker when he moved there. He earned a shot at a starting role. Bring someone else in camp just in case, but otherwise I think Holloman and Wilber have that position.

As for linebackers not being important, I don't know who told you that but Kiffin always had stud linebackers in his core at TB. His scheme requires very athletic and instinctive linebackers. Marinelli's scheme for the defensive line relies on LBs who have the instincts to read and react. Since he wants all his linemen to rush and get up field as quickly as possible, the linebackers have to read gaps as well as draws and screens while still being able to get back into their zones against the pass.

In other words, I disagree with your entire post.
    marchetta and Irvin88_4life like this.
  6. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,673 Messages
    1,490 Likes Received
    Would he improve the front 7? Yes. Would he improve the front 4? No. Defense wont improve until the front four improves.
    texbumthelife likes this.
  7. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,595 Messages
    359 Likes Received
    Shazier would be a good WOLB in the Tampa 2, just depends on who else is available when we pick but he belongs on the draft board for sure.
    Common Sense likes this.
  8. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,758 Messages
    705 Likes Received
    Guess it depends on how much the staff likes our LB core. I wonder just what they think about Carter at this point.
    Common Sense likes this.
  9. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,595 Messages
    359 Likes Received
    I think Carter, Holloman, and Wilber should compete for the SOLB spot in training camp and we need a true WOLB. I think Carter can be just as good as Deandre Levy who played SOLB in Detroit.

I like Shazier as a WOLB but there are also in this draft that can play that position just as good. C J Mosley would be ideal if your looking 1st round. Telvin Smith would also be nice in the 2nd-3rd. Also I think Yawin Smallwood would also be a good fit.
    Common Sense likes this.
  10. Picksix

4,758 Messages
    705 Likes Received
    Can Carter play strong enough to be effective at SOLB? One of the problems he had this year, was not being to get off blocks. Would he be in a better position to avoid that?
  11. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,673 Messages
    1,490 Likes Received
    That is an understatement. Between that and not having great instincts, wrong place and wrong time way too often.
  12. Picksix

4,758 Messages
    705 Likes Received
    Which is also a big reason why I wonder if he'll continue to be a starter, or if they'll look to replace him.
    Common Sense likes this.
  13. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,098 Messages
    675 Likes Received
    I'll just say that I agree with your entire post as well. Kyle Wilber is not an nfl quality starting anything.
  14. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,746 Messages
    5,904 Likes Received
    He was good at getting off blocks in 2012. It's weird that this became an issue in 2013 because normally 4-3 LBs have trouble with this issue when teams change from a 4-3 to 3-4. Normally, 3-4 ILBs are good at getting off blocks but sometimes struggle in coverage when they go to a 4-3.
  15. Pessimist_cowboy

Pessimist_cowboy Well-Known Member

2,373 Messages
    811 Likes Received
    carter is a free agent after this season, i doubt we resign him.
    Common Sense likes this.
  16. texbumthelife

3,487 Messages
    813 Likes Received
    You guys want Carter on the strong side when his biggest weakness is coverage? Every linebacker has problems fighting blocks when having to do so with such regularity.

The problem is the front four not sustaining any sort of pass rush so offensive linemen fire right off to the second level without worrying. Get some guys who can rush the passer and you don't have to worry about your linebackers fighting those blocks, because the offensive line has to account for the defensive line. This is why you almost never saw Kuechly having to fight blocks this season. The Panthers line keeps offensive lines busy long enough for Kuechly to get to the play unimpeded. No, Carter isn't on the same planet instinct wise as Kuechly, but he is more than good enough.

I expect to see a lot of crow eating around here next season.
  17. dantheman41

dantheman41 Active Member

729 Messages
    138 Likes Received
    Completely agree with everything you said here. Watched 3 games with him, and didn't love him.
  18. Common Sense

Common Sense Well-Known Member

1,521 Messages
    518 Likes Received
    Yes. Get him off the field on third down.