1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Let's Talk Draft Needs in the first 3 Rounds!

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by mrmason67, Nov 24, 2012.

1. mrmason67

mrmason67 Member

71 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    There's no secret we need OL AND RB help!

DRAFT, TRADE OR FREE AGENCY!

Just finish watching Alabama beat up on my Auburn Tigers. I wouldn't mine drafting Alabama's Brent Jones, Chance Warmack and DJ Fluker.

ROUND 1 - OL
    ROUND 2 - OL
    ROUND 3 - RB

Give me your best draft thoughts!

LT - T. SMITH
    OG - N. LIVINGS
    C -
    OG -
    RT -

Which of the OLines we keep?
    D. FREE, M. BEANADDEAU, D. ARKIN, J. PERNALL, P. COSTA, R. COOK,
    D. DOCKERY AND PS - R. LEARY

Guys tell who you think should draft? As I said we need 2OL AND 1RB. I would like to trade down and obtain another 3 round pick.
  2. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

18,986 Messages
    428 Likes Received
    We need another pass rusher too.

I wouldn't mind going OLB/DE and OL in the first three rounds.

Forget the skilled positions unless it's a can't miss, blue chipper. Other than that, let's devote attention to the lines. That's where the game is won.
  3. Howardlittleton64

Howardlittleton64 Benched

664 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'd agree
  4. RW Hitman

RW Hitman Well-Known Member

2,521 Messages
    47 Likes Received
    I would say:

Rd 1 - OL
    Rd 2 - OL
    Rd 3 - OLB

Like you, I would keep Livings and Tyrone Smith (although I would move Smith back to RT where he was perfect) but after that I may keep Free (as backup if we could replace him) and Costa. the other guys would be gone IMO but of course we can do it all with the draft unfortunately.
  5. mrmason67

mrmason67 Member

71 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    This true!
    So, trade down and obtain another 3 round pick.

ROUND 1 OL
    ROUND 2 DE/OLB
    ROUND 3 OL
    ROUND 3 RB
  6. Big D

Big D Well-Known Member

2,206 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    We will not draft OL in the first round.. 3 and beyond would be my guess.
  7. SWG9

SWG9 Well-Known Member

1,039 Messages
    180 Likes Received
    The only four guys that should be on the roster are Smith, Bernadeau, Costa, and Livings.

Only two of those guys (Smith, Costa) should be starting.

In other words, we need at least six new OL (including three new starters)

Long story short: we're totally and utterly screwed.
  8. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

18,986 Messages
    428 Likes Received
    I wouldn't want to reach for an OL just because we need one. But I would make beefing up the offensive line a priority, and if the value is there, you take it.

Look at the 49ers. They took two OL with their top two picks two years ago. Look at what they've been able to do with a stout defense and a running game. Tony Romo is wwwaaayyy better than Alex Smith. And yet the Niners have turned themselves around partly because of their coach and partly because of their scheme.

I'm tired of neglecting the offensive line. Let's make the investment in the first three rounds. Let's use at least two picks in that area, if the values there. If not, let's look for pass rushers.

Those are the two key areas a team must shore up - pass rush and offensive protection of the running game and the quarterback.
  9. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I wouldn't target particular rounds for particular picks as needs are best met through FA while long-term talent acquisition is best handled through the draft.

Right now I would say the biggest needs on the team are:

1. OL
    2a. OLB (if Spencer goes)
    2b. Safety (partly depends on Church's recovery)
    3. DL (only Hatcher, Crawford and Lissemore are non-degenerative amongst the DEs; Ratliff needs to be released which will create a hole at NT)
    4. RB (if Felix goes)

At the end of the day, this is a franchise that has to start replacing vets that are falling apart and this will create needs. Some will be filled in the draft and some will be filled in FA.

The starters/major contributors who need to be replaced (internally or externally) are:

Ratliff (too fragile, too expensive)
    Coleman (too old)
    ? Spencer
    Free (too expensive)
    Bernadeau (not good enough to start)
    Miles (too fragile, too expensive)
    Felix (too out of favour, Murray is the real starter but a backup may still be needed)

So that is a fair amount of the current starting lineup that needs to be changed. We are paying some of these guys very large amounts for pretty mediocre play (Ratliff, Free, Miles) and such players need to get weeded out before we move forward.
  10. MartinRamone

MartinRamone Well-Known Member

1,467 Messages
    111 Likes Received
    I would get a stud NT or DT, we need more pressure on QB from the line as well. Also a safety wouldnt dissapoint me.

OL, DL, OLB and S are the top priorities we should have.
  11. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I still haven't written off 2012, but I'll play along........

I hope they go the route I was calling for last draft. Trade down and simply go BPA.

Assuming we resign Spencer, lose Jenkins and sign no other significant FAs...
    Then I'd trade down out of round one.

2) DL
    2) OC
    3) FS
    3) BPA
  12. SWG9

SWG9 Well-Known Member

1,039 Messages
    180 Likes Received
    Yep, which is exactly why the Cowboys should try to trade Romo right now with an eye to competing in 2014. Keep in mind you're only talking about starters here, we haven't even discussed the total lack of depth at several positions that's hamstrung us repeatedly.

Deal Romo while he still has value for a package of picks and players to help kickstart the rebuild and fill some of these holes.
  13. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,515 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    Bernadeau?

ONLY as a backup.
  14. SWG9

SWG9 Well-Known Member

1,039 Messages
    180 Likes Received
    I'd rather be rid of him too, I'm just trying to be somewhat realistic. Bringing in six new OL (with three new starters) is next to impossible to begin with.

Browsing some of these threads, I think people are seriously underestimating just how far away from contention Dallas is right now.
  15. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,156 Messages
    1,099 Likes Received
    My vote is two of the three top three draft picks should have missed their entire past season due to major injury -- preferably ACL or possible torn achilles and the other draft pick should be a head case with an extensive posse as well as a well developed rap sheet.

I hear you can get great bargains simply by taking all those 1st round talents who the other 31 teams in the NFL were stupid enough not to draft due to their overly conservative front offices....
  16. RW Hitman

2,521 Messages
    47 Likes Received
    so we are gonna trade down both our first and 2nd round picks for more lower round picks then?

I think we could use a WR maybe if we were to wait on OL, but other than that we need OL
  17. RW Hitman

2,521 Messages
    47 Likes Received
    well the fact that 6 new OL is next to impossible does not change the fact that that is what the team needs, and yeah like you say it puts us a good ways away from contention
  18. mgcowboy

mgcowboy Active Member

1,070 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Round 1: A Quarterback..
    next round do whatever you want

:cool:
  19. SWG9

SWG9 Well-Known Member

1,039 Messages
    180 Likes Received
    Yes, you're right. It's going to take AT LEAST two offseasons to overhaul this line, and that's only if absolutely everything goes Dallas's way (which just won't happen).

And that doesn't even account for other areas of need.

This team is in horrendous shape; we're much closer to the Campo years than what most realize.

Actually, the parallels between this team and the Cowboys of 98-99 (right before we fell off the cliff) are uncanny.
  20. mrmason67

mrmason67 Member

71 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    Okay, I'm seeing what everybody is thinking that we need.

Trade down has to be a serious option to add more picks.

Okay, Jerry. It is time to open up your wallet.
    FA 1 OL, 1 OLB AND 1 FS

ROUND 1 OL
    ROUND 2 OL
    ROUND 3 RB
    ROUND 3 OL
    ROUND 4 CB
    ROUND 5 NT
    ROUND 6 DE