1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Let's Talk Draft Needs in the first 3 Rounds!

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by mrmason67, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,555 Messages
    163 Likes Received
    I think we have shown that we can get good production out of late round WRs. We got it out of Miles before his injuries sidelined him. We got it out of Crayton. We got it out of a street FA in Robinson. Now it looks like we might get it out of Harris (6th round) and Beasley (UDFA) with still a possibility of getting it out of Coale (5th round).

I'd like to WR more in the 4th to 6th round range. I think this offense works well with medium sized WRs who know how to read defenses - we need to pay more attention to intelligence than athleticism, IMO.

Right now we already have our one dynamic WR who creates headaches for defenses in Dez. We don't necessarily need to go high in the draft to find another similar talent. We'd get more out of spending that pick on the OL.
  2. Star Guard_31

Star Guard_31 Active Member

215 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    I think our top three draft needs are two offensive linemen and an outside linebacker of the passrushing variety (i.e. not another Spencer clone). I think the best player available relative to draft position in each round should dictate what order we fill these needs.

Personally I think Bernadeau has played much better at C than at LG. If this continues I'd be in favor of leaving him there. If we're in position to nab a top LT prospect with our first round pick I think it would be tough to pass. It would be too easy to move Smith back to the right side and tell Doug Free to take a long walk off of a short pier. He has done nothing to warrant another chance. Generally speaking, I'm in favor of building through the draft, but if the Bill's Andy Levitre makes to to free agency I'd target him. He is a versatile guard in his mid twenties with a lot of football left in front of him.

LT: Rookie
    LG: Nate Livings
    C: Mackenzy Bernadeau
    RG: Andy Levitre (or) Rookie
    RT: Tyron Smith
  3. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,390 Messages
    646 Likes Received
  4. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,699 Messages
    3,197 Likes Received
    I don't think you should go into any draft saying or thinking, "OK, I'm definitely taking a "blank" in round 1".

You let the draft come to you.

That being said here are some need position:

Level 1 (Biggest need):
    Offensive tackle (I wouldn't be surprised to see Free cut)
    Offensive guard
    (For me Costa lives another day)
    OLB (to replace Spencer)
    DT/NT (can't rely on Ratliff)

Level 2
    WR (I wouldn't be surprised to see Austin cut)
    RB (Felix won't be back & Murray hasn't proven he's durable enough)
    Safety

Level 3
    CB (Jenkins is gone)
    QB (have to start thinking about a replacement for Romo)
    TE (have to start thinking about a replacement for Witten)

That's 9 spots.

Obviously the best draft in the world will not cover those 9 spots.

I would think the team would hope to fill 4 of the spots through free agency.
  5. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,561 Likes Received
    Who did we sign in FA?

Exactly.
  6. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,950 Messages
    1,392 Likes Received
    O-line, o-line, o-line, o-line, with possibly a little D-line help sprinkled in there.

That needs to be the only focus for this team this offseason.
  7. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,762 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    1.) O tackle
    2.) Nose guard allowing Rat to move to DT
    3.) Safety

Also, if Elam out of Flirida is available in the second, get him. We won't because we're paying subpar safety's pro bowl money, but we should.
  8. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,555 Messages
    163 Likes Received
    Rat is done. He gets nicked up every game - he's worse than Miles and Felix yet people constantly complain about those two. He is just worn out and won't ever be the player he once was. I'd let him go rather than continue to pay him a premium salary.

If the contract was set up to only pay him a small salary next season then we might as well keep him on the hopes that he turns it around. If he is making somewhere around $7M or more, we should spend that money elsewhere.
  9. slick325

slick325 Well-Known Member

1,946 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    1st round Guard (Warmack from Alabama or Cooper from UNC)
    2nd round Tackle
    3rd round Center
  10. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,762 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    His contract is extremely back loaded as he is only set to make 5 million next year and 2015 marks a two year span of 7 million dollar years, so I say keep him.

Get a big body nose guard and if Rat produces a rush of Ware, Hatcher and he (Spencer optional) is a damn good one
  11. Prossman

Prossman Active Member

946 Messages
    47 Likes Received
    1 OL 2 OL 3 Qb
  12. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

12,915 Messages
    637 Likes Received
    QB
    OL
    OL
    OL
  13. Avenging Hayseed

Avenging Hayseed Interwebs fooseball expert

2,262 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    Pick 1......Chance Warmack

Pick 2......Matt Elam

Pick 3......John Simon

Free agency...... T...Sebastian Vollmer, G...Matt Slauson
  14. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

6,067 Messages
    982 Likes Received
    QFT :eek::
  15. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,860 Messages
    1,706 Likes Received
    if we have a shot at a real good pass rusher take him in the 1st rd. If not and nothing else we need comes up I would look at trading down and trying to get another second round pick. And use them to get O line. Holmes of USC at Center and there are a number of real good guards that will be available in the second

Then look hard at Safety and WR since we really are short at both.

Dez seems to be getting better and I would keep him; but Miles is never healthy. And after them what do we have?

Safety- we have been trying to replace Woody for how many years?

Now in FA if we can get some good players great but this is about the draft.
  16. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,558 Messages
    1,815 Likes Received
    Safety and the trenches. There are too many good safeties coming out this year not to get one early. I'd have no problem going with a guy like Reid or Rambo in the first. In fact, I'd love it. You can get real good lineman in the 2nd and third rounds, but playmaking safeties are harder to find.

Depending on where we pick, I think Rambo would be my target.
  17. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,860 Messages
    1,706 Likes Received
    I am not really all that sure that any safety I have seen this year is really worth a first. But maybe. For sure we need a pass rusher; that should have been a priority for the last 5 years.
  18. BIGDen

BIGDen Dr. Freakasaurus Zone Supporter

4,443 Messages
    271 Likes Received
    This. Do not waste a top 3 pick on a running back. Good backs can be found throughout the draft. We need to be stronger in the trenches and need another pass rusher. I think Church is good and still believe in Matt Johnson's potential, but we could certainly use a safety too. I think our roster holes are very fixable. OL needs to be addressed by at least one plug and play FA. Pass rushers are hard to come by (especially in FA) so I would jump on one in the first round if one is available. If not, grab the best OL. I'm not as down on this roster (when healthy) as some, except for the OL. I think our offensive coordinator is a problem and, unless there is some miraculous/drastic change over the next month, I think he needs to be replaced. I would love to see Romo behind an improved OL with a guy like Payton calling the plays.
  19. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,917 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    Too early.. depends where we pick and whos available. I would live Tyler Bray in the second round.
  20. Hailmary

Hailmary Well-Known Member

2,265 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    I'd like Bray myself, but if he comes out this year, I don't see him lasting till the 2nd.