1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Lieberman for VP

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by BrAinPaiNt, Aug 20, 2008.

1. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

61,083 Messages
    4,427 Likes Received
    Well we have all talked about it, heard the talk and rumors about it.

I have to wonder if it is closer to a reality now.

It seems he will be speaking at the GOP Convention.

I have heard some speculate that McCain floated out Lieberman and Ridge in order to see if the base would support a non pro-lifer candidate. I have also heard that they speculate he was only doing that to rally the base once he chose a conservative candidate.

I guess they figure if they were smart enough to get some people to believe bush used that ploy with Miers it would be smart enough to get people to believe McCain is doing that.

Difference is someone on the McCain Camp, or McCain himself, might actually be thinking of doing something like that, with Bush we know better.

Anyways...I just half thought that maybe that was what McCain was doing even if he really wanted Lieberman until he had Ridge float that thing out a bit ago...but now with Lieberman speaking at the GOP and we know they are close friends...maybe it is indeed going to happen.

Could we have to Presidential Candidates with VP candidates named Joe?
  2. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This guy really wants to be VP, parties be damned!
  3. BrAinPaiNt

61,083 Messages
    4,427 Likes Received
    Yes.

I saw a pretty funny picture on fark that someone had made altering his gore/lieberman campaign sign...

[IMG]

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:
  4. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  5. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,039 Messages
    3,509 Likes Received
    I like Liberman but I don't think he will be the selection
  6. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,905 Messages
    348 Likes Received
    I like Lieberman as well, but if McCain picks him or Ridge to be his running mate, he is basically saying he has reconsidered and does not want to win this election...
  7. BrAinPaiNt

61,083 Messages
    4,427 Likes Received
    I think people confuse Lieberman and think he is a Conservative or Neo-con who sides with republicans most of the time even though he was a dem.

I hear that from the dems as well....oh you can't trust him he is a neo-con now and blah blah blah.

However. Besides Israel and the war on terror. Joe is very liberal and votes liberal pretty much on every thing but those two areas...and really Israel is one of those areas where most of the members of both parties run together so that is not saying much for joe.

Joe backed bushes war on terror stuff so the conservatives see that and think he is one of them, the Dems see it and think he is no longer one of them...truth be told both sides are wrong.

If you are a conservative, Joe is not really a good guy for you.

Plus he really does not have much charisma at all. Joementum went downhill pretty fast a few years ago.

One other thing to consider...not sure McCain wants someone around the same age as him as his partner seeing that age has been a question with McCain.

So all of those points would make me agree with you that he is not the candidate.

But these other things keep popping up making me think that maybe he is going to be after all.

They float out the not a pro-lifer thing out, he has Joe helping while on foreign trips awhile back and correcting his mistakes in mid speech, we got him going to speak at the GOP convention and now Rush just put out a piece on his site basically warning McCain not to pick Joe or he will lose his base.

I mean...like you I think no but after seeing those things you kind of get a bit of a knot jerked in your backside thinking maybe...just maybe John wants who john wants and is not going to budge on it after giving up other of his stances this year.
  8. Doomsday101

78,039 Messages
    3,509 Likes Received
    I think Lieberman is what I would consider a moderate. He is not a far left leaning liberal nor is he a social conservative. Personally I’m not a Pat Robertson conservative. While I do not think Abortion is right I think that is a choice of the person however I do not think federal, state or local money should ever be used for this personal choice.
  9. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,023 Messages
    767 Likes Received
    Not me

I think Lieberman is a good man .... but he is not a conservative and his politics besides the War on Terror are very liberal leaning.

He would be a very bad choice for McCain and would probably cost him the election.
  10. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  11. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,520 Messages
    392 Likes Received
    What kind of Democrat (yes I know he is an "independent" Senator because he lost the Democratic nomination last time) runs on the Republican ticket?
  12. Doomsday101

78,039 Messages
    3,509 Likes Received
    A moderate one, but it will not happen in my opinion
  13. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,905 Messages
    348 Likes Received
    Joe Biden said at one time we would consider running on the ticket with McCain IIRC...
  14. Angus

Angus Active Member

5,064 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    A real one, who remained a Democrat (holding his nose) when the liberals took over the name, but never liked it. That's not Biden, however, or Lieberman.

:)
  15. the fake norm hitzges

the fake norm hitzges New Member

186 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    if i wasnt disappointed enough over seeing the most liberal republican win the nomination in mccain,a lieberman v.p.pick will guarentee that i sit at home on election day.if mccain doesnt balance the ticket out with a true rock solid conservative he will put the death nail in his presidential hopes.

my 3 top choices would be

fred thompson
    mitt romney
    newt gingrich

if mccain wins then his VP choice will be the next republican nominee when the mccain presidency is over.i dont see lieberman being the next republican nominee.thats also why it is very important that mccain picks a solid conservative.just so he leaves the GOP in good hands for the next presidential run.

its a shame that cheney didnt want to give it a shot.