1. Like to discuss POLITICS? Come join us at PUNNDITS.com!
    If you like discussing politics and other related topics then your new home (hopefully) for doing just that can be found on Punndits.com! Come join us and help us grow Punndits into a wonderful and safe place to discuss politics with everyone.
    Dismiss Notice

Featured Linehan's effect on 3rd down, Dez, and the offense

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by percyhoward, Jan 28, 2014.

1. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

10,164 Messages
    6,407 Likes Received
    Yea, too bad Linehan couldnt bring Stafford with him

2. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

11,197 Messages
    7,014 Likes Received
    True, and a lot of it is just the fact that 3rd downs only made up 18.8 percent of our plays.

jobberone likes this.
  3. Hostile

Hostile The Duke

119,451 Messages
    3,849 Likes Received
    And I assume quieter than the squeaky wheels.

4. casmith07

casmith07 Attorney-at-Zone

30,141 Messages
    5,891 Likes Received
    lol

5. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

32,665 Messages
    33,665 Likes Received
    Hey, Percival....the next time you start a thread like this, be prepared and do some homework first.

6. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,891 Likes Received
    Love me some percy, but I really don't know how much of what Linehan did at Detroit will be applicable to here, because this will be Garrett's offense. This isn't a move to get a new offensive philosophy, it's a move to get someone Garrett is buddies with because he didn't get along with Callahan.

7. percyhoward

11,197 Messages
    7,014 Likes Received
    Nirvana and jobberone like this.
  8. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

7,077 Messages
    2,922 Likes Received
    WTH is that suppose to mean? He did his HW. It was very good and had a lot of info, I'm not sure what your crapping about now.

BigStar likes this.
  9. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

32,665 Messages
    33,665 Likes Received
    I agree with this.

But, I would say that a head coach should want to work with his assistants. He should even, ~gulp~, pick his assistants. So if Bill Callahan was a Jerry hire, he shouldn't be here.

BigStar likes this.
  10. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

4,354 Messages
    1,432 Likes Received
    Check you're stats. But more importantly watch the 22 and see who's open and who pulls the ball down and waits for the drag to open.

11. percyhoward

11,197 Messages
    7,014 Likes Received
    It's inevitable that Linehan will have influence, whatever motivated the hire. People who get along usually listen to each other.

12. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

40,416 Messages
    5,104 Likes Received
    Relax Clarence. I'm pretty sure that Risen was simply yanking Percy's chain.

Risen Star likes this.
  13. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasing

6,600 Messages
    2,764 Likes Received
    Percy..Great research and insight to the possible improvements (3rd down effeciency by improving on 1st and 2nd down positive yardage, involving the rbs more, Dez become targeted more on 3rd down, etc.) Linehan could bring to the table. Always enjoy reading your breakdowns and other posts. Risen writes that way :) and his sarcasm dripping off the page.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
    percyhoward likes this.
  14. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

7,077 Messages
    2,922 Likes Received
    Clarence? Never can tell with RS he's always complaining about something.

15. ABQCOWBOY

40,416 Messages
    5,104 Likes Received
    I don't know that I love the Linehan hire, to be honest. I mean, I watch Detroit and I see a lot of reflection in the mirror. I think that they are better at using their backs in the passing game but I don't know that Linehan is much of an improvement in actually running the ball.

Since 2009, when Linehan arrived in Detoit, to 2013, Detroit hasn't actually been superior in this respect. Here are the League Stats.

League Rushing Rankings:

2009 Detroit 17th 4.0 YPC
    2010 Detroit 23rd 4.0 YPC
    2011 Detroit 17th 4.0 YPC
    2012 Detroit 23rd 4.1 YPC
    2013 Detroit 17th 4.0 YPC

2009 Dallas 7th 4.8 YPC
    2010 Dallas 16th 4.2 YPC
    2011 Dallas 18th 4.4 YPC
    2012 Dallas 31st 3.6 YPC
    2013 Dallas 24th 4.5 YPC

I know it's not popular around here to think that running the ball is as important as throwing the ball is but, of the 4 teams in the Conference Finals, all of them are able to run the ball (even Denver).

I guess I just wonder if Linehan is more of the same? IDK............

16. jobberone

jobberone Kane Ala Staff Member

47,196 Messages
    9,602 Likes Received
    Not saying I didn't say something wrong but are you saying Dez and Witten aren't the most likely targets on third down? Not saying how many balls go their way because the point is the defense puts their emphasis on those two players. If you stop Dez and Witten then you create problems for the Dallas offense.

17. ABQCOWBOY

40,416 Messages
    5,104 Likes Received
    Well, I've know Risen for a long time and trust me, this is not complaining from him. This is just a little subtle humor.

18. ABQCOWBOY

40,416 Messages
    5,104 Likes Received
    But if you would run a bit more balanced offense, it would be much, much harder to stop those guys. Not telling you anything you already don't know Jobs, this I know as well.

19. percyhoward

11,197 Messages
    7,014 Likes Received
    The genius of RS is his intentional vagueness. He is a misunderstood genius -- by definition and by design.

BigStar and jobberone like this.
  20. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

4,436 Messages
    2,877 Likes Received
    It's really strange that they turned the ball over in probably the worst situations (in their own red zone, and in scoring position).

Good to know though. I trust Romo more than Stafford in those same situations.

BigStar likes this.