1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Lissemore Stood Out Despite Limited Snaps

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Doomsday101, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,906 Likes Received
    IRVING, Texas – For the second straight year, it's rather obvious the Cowboys entered the offseason needing to make major upgrades on the defensive side of the ball.
    In the 2011 draft, the Cowboys used a second-round pick on Bruce Carter, although they knew he wouldn't be able to contribute much because of a college ACL injury. In free agency, which took place in a whirlwind at training camp, Dallas signed three veteran defensive ends in Marcus Spears, Jason Hatcher and Kenyon Coleman.

Whether or not the Cowboys try to beef up the defense through the draft or free agency, or both this year, one player who has definitely earned a chance for additional snaps is Sean Lissemore.

While he never started a game for the Cowboys last season, Lissemore was one of the team's more productive players, despite his limited role.

"Actually, he was our most productive player, per play last year on defense," defensive line coach Brian Baker said. "When I look back, he's probably a guy I should've played a little more."

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/news.cfm?id=3F42E541-B43F-5B39-AE48115C84EDF85A
  2. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,148 Messages
    1,863 Likes Received
    I thought he played well too.

Frustrating that he didn't get more opportunities.

It bums me out to read about good players like this not getting the opportunity until several years into their careers.

Just in time to get a big-money free agent deal elsewhere...
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,906 Likes Received
    With changes coming Dallas may use Lissemore more often. Brian Baker seems to think he made a mistake not playing him more.

Just hope Lissemore really puts in the work this off season to mount a challenge
  4. ethiostar

ethiostar Well-Known Member

6,307 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    Whenever I see a statement like this, I always wonder if he stood out and was very productive precisely because of limited snaps. I'm not necessarily saying that's the case here but I think there usually is a decline in productivity with more reps.

Having said that, I do like Lissemore and what he has shown on the field with limited reps.
  5. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,617 Messages
    1,031 Likes Received
    Or it could be a case where they make every effort to put him in the situations that are most favorable for his skill set. That might let a guy get a year or two under his belt to master one role before getting pushed into an expanded one
  6. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

32,015 Messages
    7,760 Likes Received
    That's what happens. Snaps are valuable, and they have to be earned. But Lissemore's shown that he deserves more snaps. Let's hope he takes another big step this offseason. We could use it.
  7. stasheroo

18,148 Messages
    1,863 Likes Received
    Maybe we could also stand to approach him about a long-term deal before he becomes a free agent and we can't afford it?

It seems that all too often, we don't realize what we have until it's too late.

And we either have to pay big money (Austin) or somebody else offers more than we can match (Bowen).
  8. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,617 Messages
    1,031 Likes Received
    He certainly earned more for this year -- but what folks are missing is that he was pretty much scrapping for a chance to even be active after his first season. Those snaps he got this year are the ones he earned. He's being developed right.
  9. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

32,015 Messages
    7,760 Likes Received
    Normally, you'd approach the guys you want to resign the year before they're UFAs. Bowen was an exception because he developed slowly into a pretty good player. I *always* liked and defended him, but I"m not sure I would have done an extension for him prior to 2010. Austin exploded, but we knew what we had in him and should have gotten his extension done earlier, yeah.

Lissemore's definitely a player we should be looking to extend early if we can. Honestly, I'd rather see us work on doing that sometime early this season rather than doing deals like Rat's extension last year.
  10. stasheroo

18,148 Messages
    1,863 Likes Received
    As would I. Or Sensabaugh's for that matter.
  11. stasheroo

18,148 Messages
    1,863 Likes Received
    From the sound of it, even his own coach stated that he 'earned' the right to play more snaps.

I guess opinions vary on that then.

I'd like to see more of him for the Cowboys, not some other team.
  12. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    We're definitely the best seventh-round-nosetackle drafting team in the NFL. ;)
  13. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,558 Messages
    169 Likes Received
    Yes, this has been a recurring issue under Jerry and why we are always up against the cap and usually overpaying to keep our own players. He often let's guys test FA. This is a mistake. Young, promising players need to be extended early to get favourable terms.

If Lissemore is playing well next year he should be extended mid-season to a 5-year deal.

A case could be made that we should be extending Sean Lee this offseason as he has already proven enough outside of durability. He is going to be a core player for this team for the next 7 to 10 years and I don't want him even sniffing FA.