1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

List Your Favorite Draft Guides

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Duane, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,875 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    1. GMJR - Russ Lande has some very good insights and is the best of the ex scouts doing draft guides in my opinion.

2. Draft Insiders - Frank Coyle ranks a TON of players. So it makes this guide good for finding players in later rounds you may not know about.
  2. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    We talking about publications? I used to love snatching up newstand draft guides but realized about 10 years ago they are worthless. Often outdated by the time they are even printed.
  3. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,123 Messages
    256 Likes Received
    I don't know about the best but the absolute worst is the Sporting News. I swear that thing is printed in January. They definitely print it before the combine which is insane. It is pretty much useless come April.
  4. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,665 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    I refuse to buy a news stand draft guide (or fantasy football guide for that matter) in the age of the internet. Heck, I refuse to pay for a draft guide period, too much good free content and knowing a player more than you can off the internet doesn't help you much anyway, it's not like we have any say in who's drafted.
  5. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,875 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I'm talking about either news stand publications or people who run websites and publish draft guides.
  6. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I dont have a problem with too many internet one's. I mean the draft is a crap shoot for the most part. There are some that do more work then others.

As far as news stand publications. I used to love PFW. I still get the PDF version from time to time because I enjoy it but nah, they are a waste of money.
  7. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,577 Messages
    531 Likes Received
    I like having the hard copy in my hands. It's totally a waste of money with computers and all, but if I'm bored I can read the magazine wherever...Don't have a laptop, so it's nice to have that option...I've always liked Lindys the best
  8. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,700 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    I don't buy draft guides anymore, but when I did I always bought Ourlads...

Haven't looked at it in years, but it used to be my favorite, hands down...
  9. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,319 Messages
    476 Likes Received
    Cowboyszone. I'm not kidding at all, quite a few folks bring in some well thought out perspective even when I don't agree.
  10. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,812 Messages
    273 Likes Received
    I don't buy guides, I love to listen to Draftcountdown podcast and nfldraftscout.com, draftcountdown.com & walterfootball.com. Along with use of ESPN insider to look at prospects
  11. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,196 Messages
    1,300 Likes Received
    I like the original DraftScout, Ladds, Blue North, Huddle Report.
  12. respectdatstar

respectdatstar Member

685 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    When do the good ones hit the shelves? I've been itching to buy one and get in-depth info on prospects. I'm going to wait until then to make my own mock.
  13. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,875 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Out of those which one do you enjoy most?
  14. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    I use a variety, so i have a full breakdown, but what i do is this;
    I compare how good the draft experts are at each position, some are better than ours at certain positions, so i log that down and know what to look for

say for instance some guide was high on j russell qb, but as you know a bust as qb, i tend to not look at what he thinks of QBs, but he might be good at OL, so on and so forth

These are ones I use, plus 17 sites on internet of draft sites
    that are my best internet draft sites, but draft guides i purchase our
    PFT< with their pdf format, OurLads, Draftcountdown, nfldraftscout.com, walterfootball.com, profootballweekly, you can get their draft mag and they generally give you 2 free pdf guides, one for draft and one after, street and smiths guide, Lindys, sporting news mag, are main ones,

then again, i use 17 draft sites, with easy access to their sites, some are free, some you pay, but i like to have my war room all ready to go with access of players, videos, at my fingertips, so when i get bored, or have to wait till cowboys draft next player, i have the guides all ready to read up on the players they have drafted so far, etc...

you all thought my war room was pretty cool, wait till you see it this year,
    got even more draft stuff, dvds, vcr tapes of games, and more dallas cowboys stuff on my wall. along with about 44 posters i will have on my wall

will start making my mock 300 players, best positions, etc after the combine

wooohoo cant wait till draft gets here,

i also like to use silverbear's, sdogo's and hostile info among some others on players cowboys are interested in etc..
  15. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,196 Messages
    1,300 Likes Received
    They all kind of have something different. If it's just prospect info, straight analysis, then probably DraftScout. I have a good relationship with Robby Esch and Drew Boylehart, of the Huddle, so it's easy for me to talk with them about specific players or questions. Ladds and Blue North often have information that doesn't show up in a lot of the normal draft sites. You can find stuff on them that is not usually offered in the other publications.

I also like Countdown, which I neglected to add before.
  16. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,374 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    IMO, the best one is OURLADS.

But I also get PWF, Frank Coyle's Draft Insiders, and M Kiper.
  17. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

1,542 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Lindsy's is pretty good but Sporting News has been awful the past few years. It used to be good but lately they have really started to skimp the prospects. would not buy it.
  18. Bulldog

Bulldog Member

159 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    nfldraftcountdown is my favorite.