1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

List your musts, needs, and wants

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by jobberone, Jan 5, 2013.

1. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,185 Messages
    4,618 Likes Received
    I love to think of needs like the above.

Here's mine.

Musts:

1. Tackle (assuming Free is gone)
    2. Interior OL
    3. SOLB
    4. Safety

This assumes we can find that must from inside the organization or outside via trade, draft, FA, or UDFA. I don't expect more than 1 or 2 FAs although 3 is possible I guess. I suspect the rest will come via the draft and UDFAs.

Some will not agree with 4. We can get by with Sensi and Church but we must start to get some TOs. The only way that is going to happen is with a ballhawking S unless a CB morphs into one. Perhaps Mo. And more pressure.

I expect us to retain Spencer which may require restructuring some contracts.

Free might be retained although I suspect he will have to restructure his contract which I find problematic. I personally don't trust him. I don't Parnell much but more after the last couple of games which should be a problem for most. Not enough game film. That's why I expect us to find a vet OT right or left side. From somewhere or anywhere. A rookie is ok if you can find one.

Needs:

This will overlap with musts depending on resigning players and FA. FAs, perhaps a rare trade, and resigns will dictate the draft. The more we do before the draft the more flexibility we will have.

1. OL. We need one or two starters here and I'd love some competition esp at C and G. We should shore up T before the draft if possible o/w T become the priority there.

2. DB. If we lose Jenkins we need another starting quality CB IMO. I don't care if its on the corner or the slot. Scandrick doesn't send a thrill up my leg. If they are comfortable with Sensi and Church (which I ain't) then they need to find a suitable backup at the least. That's two DBs IMO.

3. Passrusher. Maybe this should be a must but I'm ok right now with Ware, Butler, and Spencer but just barely OK. We need another and that can come in the form of a NT that can collapse the pocket, another OLB better than Butler (who's pretty good at rushing the passer IMO just not o/w), a Hatcher clone or better preferably, or enough S to cover for the ILBs and other DBs to rush the passer enough to matter (and do it efficiently). Here's a draft special IMO. Too expensive to buy this on the open market.

4. Another TE. Witten is never hurt much but he is mortal (I think. Although I suspect he may be an alien.) And Phillips has never been more than a marginal to adequate backup. Hanna should replace him so I'd get another athletic TE. We can always find a road grader TE if necessary.

Wants:

1. Third down RB. I'd love to have some small, quick, fast, great in open space RB with missem.

2. Slot WR. Same characteristics although doesn't have to be small. Or a Harvin type is fine.

3. Speed WR. Serious speed. A blazer. Catch the ball often enough to force major league cushion and some double teams. Spread the field and open it up for others.

4. Another Sean Lee type on D. Someone around the ball who comes up with turnovers. I don't care where they play. FF, INTs, strips, in the right place at the right time.

5. A faster Harris who can make us think Devin Hester in his prime. Or Deion on PRs. You get the picture.

6. Developmental QB. Romo can't play forever.

7. A FB who can crush but stay on his feet when he catches the ball out of the backfield. Is that too much to ask for.

8. Health, wealth, and.....well more health.
  2. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,507 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    Fire yourself Jerrruuuh.

The .... End
  3. Royal Laegotti

Royal Laegotti Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!

4,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received

:hammer: No more to be said!
  4. Shatz88

Shatz88 New Member

24 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    I feel these are the big needs.
    1.DL
    2.interior OL
    3.Safety
    4.RB
    5.WR
  5. jobberone

39,185 Messages
    4,618 Likes Received
    On DL do you mean DE, NT or both? What do you want to see in a RB? WR?
  6. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,639 Messages
    367 Likes Received
    Musts are the same as needs IMO
    RT but not a big name big money. Rather draft in first two rounds and challenge parnell
    OG Gotta have one if not two. Draft is real deep at OG but not center. Also Slauson is a FA that we might be able to get easily.
    WR, we need another WR, Austin might be released and thia draft is deep at WR
    NT is a for sure must, FA and draft
    DE is the same as NT to me.
    Safety Sensabaugh is one his last year and can't trust church. Draft is deep for this too
    Resign Spencer

Wants
    Big name safety like jarius byrd
    OG Andy Levitre, OT Brendon Albert or. G osder Childress,
    A trade for mangold
    DE desmond Bryant
    NT Terrence Knighton

You get me those wants and this team is crazy good, but we do not have the cap space for that
  7. Steven_81

Steven_81 New Member

161 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    reggie bush, id like to have him to catch some passes out of the backfield, and add some speed, or tavon austin outa wvu

Posted from Cowboyszone.com App for Android
  8. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,294 Messages
    1,245 Likes Received
    Seems like a pretty good list to me, don't think I have anything to add.

I do think that Harris is fine as a returner though, in fact, better than fine. I think the rules have basically made the Devin Hester's extinct.

As far as your 2nd Sean Lee comment, I think we could get a lot of that with a top flight safety. I think guys like Earl Thomas don't always get the cred they deserve, but you probably can't get away with playing huge corners and a huge SS like the Seahawks do without a rangy guy like Thomas back there erasing their mistakes in coverage.

I just am not sure there is an Earl Thomas in this draft. Maybe Byrd in free agency, but that'd be a lot of money to tie up for a team that's short of it.
  9. CxC1993

CxC1993 Member

285 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    OP pretty much summed it up for me. Excellent post.
  10. Shatz88

Shatz88 New Member

24 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    I believe we need both DE and NT. I feel we need a RB that can backup Demarco but can play ball if or when Demarco gets banged up. For WR, I would like someone who can stretch the field. Outside of Dez, we have nobody to stretch the field in my opinion. I really like Harris but we still need to develop another WR.
  11. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,294 Messages
    1,245 Likes Received
    Not happy with Hatcher? I thought he played well.
  12. Shatz88

Shatz88 New Member

24 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    Hatcher did play well. He was one of the bright spots this season. He was a pro bowl snub in my opinion. I like Crawford as well. He wasn't bad when he played.
  13. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

2,482 Messages
    711 Likes Received
    Our absolutely biggest need is an offensive coordinator!!!!
  14. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,439 Messages
    1,047 Likes Received
    Wasn't this the same list from last year?
  15. starfrombirth

starfrombirth Well-Known Member

3,933 Messages
    476 Likes Received
    First 2 picks must be the meanest, biggest, best run blocking GUARDS that we can get in the draft. Package picks to move up if necessary.

Get the biggest NT or DT we can get.

Get a wr who can blow the top off the defense and still catch the ball. We do not have anyone currently who can do that.

I would package everything for those 4 picks.

The first 2 are the most important - If you get them we develop a running game which takes some of the load off of Tony's shoulders therefor he doesn't press as much, throw as much, Throw interceptions, and allows our defense to rest.

With our defense rested, the large NT or DT helps us generate more pressure and with healty "Bruce Lee" we again become a dominant defense.

The WR is a luxury. I think Dez has finally had the light come on and I think Harris is coming on as well. If you put a speed burner in there, Dez is suddenly open a lot more and if he's not, burn them deep.
  16. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,291 Messages
    243 Likes Received
    Musts:

OL/DL - I think both lines need to be addressed. NT is looking very thin.

RB - Need someone that can carry the load if Murray is hurt.

Lots of variables. If Spencer isn't resigned, SOLB is a huge need as well.

Wants:
    WR - someone that could be a #2 once Miles is finished. I think Harris can be the #3.

Another pass rusher

My suspicion is that the team goes forward with some combination of Free/Parnell at RT and RG might be the only position upgraded on the OL. I don't think they'll do anything at safety even though I'd like to get better there.
  17. jobberone

39,185 Messages
    4,618 Likes Received
    I love Harris. If I were to wish for anything then it would be a faster more elusive Harris with more missem. I'm ok with him. More than ok but there have been more electric returners. Not a need just a wish.

I'd love an Earl Thomas type and that's my exact logic. We need someone to protect the other DBs esp if we blitz and we need TOs.

I'm good with Byrd but I'm not seeing us getting too much in FA and I expect that to be OL and CB maybe DL first. But I suspect S is a target. How much and what kind of fit are the questions along with greater priorities.
  18. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,690 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    Nt
    Fs
    C
    G
    G
    Rb
    Wr

I hate not addressing the OL earlier with that order but a NT and FS makes our defense frightening...very, very frightening. Plus there are some good FA's that will be available for the OL.
  19. jobberone

39,185 Messages
    4,618 Likes Received
    I'd love for both DEs and the NT to be pass rushers/crush the pocket types. Hatcher is good and I like Coleman for his run stuff. A good NT to fit with Rat is good enough for me but sure I'd like to have it all.
  20. jobberone

39,185 Messages
    4,618 Likes Received
    :laugh1:Actually I think we thought we were better off at tackle but yeah a lot like last year.

We didn't know we had ILB so well covered. CB was a bigger question mark. Safety may be a little better but we really don't know. C is probably better but you could still argue that's a need. We need competition there. We still need a RG and LG could use competition. WR is better but we still need a third (although Harris is probably ok there). And I expect Beasley and Coale along with another member or member to be to fill in ok there. We need speed at WR...faster than Dez and an oft injured Austin. Maybe we have that developing. Spencer has to be resigned so I guess that's back to square one. Jenkins is likely gone so back to square one there although as above Mo is better than expected (IMO). Felix is either gone or the same so back to square one there. We still need a developmental QB. We still need at least one more TE to go with Hanna and Witten. FB is still up for grabs IMO although it was better towards the end of the year. K is better. P is ok but I'd look for another. PR is definitely better. KR is still necessary.

And I'm still not sold on Garrett. So yeah the list is better but not dramatically. Good point.