1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

List your musts, needs, and wants

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by jobberone, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Diogenes

Diogenes Active Member

1,200 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    This draft contains a plethora of quaiity o-linemen. Might be a good opportunity to try to trade down and pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder.

1st DT
    2nd FS
    2nd C/G
    3rd C/G
    4th WR
    5th OLB
  2. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,399 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    I think this team needs a dominant center. A beast that can do it all. Draft or trade or whatever.

You still need depth at nearly any position.

Every team needs depth so don't take that as a slight.
  3. Bill Wooten

Bill Wooten Active Member

647 Messages
    82 Likes Received
    As an ECU alum, Harris will be just fine. May not have the "missem" you want, but will have the "bowl them over, I won't be denied" that I'd rather have.
  4. diehard2294

diehard2294 America's Team

4,723 Messages
    546 Likes Received
    and where is the money coming from to sign these FA?
  5. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,573 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    A bank? Signing one top OLmen is possible. Clearly I'm not talking about signing every top OLmen.
  6. diehard2294

4,723 Messages
    546 Likes Received
    where did I say every top lineman? We are cap strapped this year
  7. a_minimalist

4,573 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    You didn't. Do you know how much we'll have to spend when we let certain people walk and trim some fat?
  8. LynnFoster

LynnFoster Member

102 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Needs:

OL in Free Agency (probably OT, I think Bernadeau moves to C and Free is cut)
    OL in draft (likely OG, likely first round)
    DE in Free Agency (assuming we stay in the 3-4)
    NT in Free Agency
    RB in the 3rd or 4th round to replace Felix

Wants:

Spencer on a long term contract
    Centerfield type of Free Safety
    Upgrade at FB from Vickers
    WR to play on the outside who can stretch the field
  9. diehard2294

4,723 Messages
    546 Likes Received
    that's a wait and see which we know...Broaddus says we are cap strapped

Perhaps Adam can clear this up
  10. a_minimalist

4,573 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    Yeah that might be best. I thought we had around 12 million.
  11. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,091 Messages
    1,106 Likes Received
    Musts:

1. Safety
    2. Right Tackle
    3. New O-Coordinator
    4. Nose Tackle

We must get better at stopping the pass. It has killed us. Every KPI with reguards to the NFL shows the Cowboys stymied by the inability to stop the pass . The metrics show the defense against #1 and #2 WR's improved with the addition of Carr and Claiborne. But, the defense against other WR's and TE's (worst in the league) regressed. Combine that with our inability to get INT's and Carr and Claiborne being forced out of press coverage because of the safeties, that is the #1 thing that MUST get better.

Romo plays better when his RT is doing well. We need to hand the offense to somebody else. I'd like to keep Ratliff, but I'm assuming he's gone and I don't see Brent coming back in 2013.

Needs:

1. Better run blocking from the interior O-Line
    2. Improvement at LDE
    3. Y-Receiver
    4. Backup Tailback who is competent in short yardage

The run blocking has to improve so we can more easily close out games and perhaps win games for Romo instead of always having him having to pass for first downs to close out and win games. We need major improvement at LDE, although I think Crawford could be the answer. We need a Y-Receiver so we can have Witten help block more and run more routes past the first down marker. We need a backup tailback, but I always prefer one that is competent in short yardage. If Murray is banged up on a play and has to go out, I want a tailback that can give him a breather and run efficiently on 3rd and 3.

Wants:

1. Better backup at ILB

2. QB to replace Romo in at least 2 years.

3. Chris Jones comes back and punts like he was before the injury.

4. The Hurry Up 4-Down Offense.

YR
  12. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,071 Messages
    459 Likes Received
    RG
    RT (Maybe Parnell is the answer, who knows but Free surely isn't)
    NT
    DE
    Safety
    WR
    RB

Number 1 wish is for a new QB....
  13. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I like the roster more so today than I did Jan 2012 and that's nice starting point.

S- I think we're OK here with Sensabaugh, Church, Johnson and a RFA or 3rd day draft pick if someone we really like is availible in rds 5-7.

CB- Most teams would kill for Carr, Clairborne and Scandrick. Not sure who will will fill CBs #4 and 5, but don't see a reason for any substantial investment.

MLB - Lee and Carter are perhaps even stronger than our CBs. Open to options for the reserves. Keeping Sims if he'll stay cheap. Not impressed with Connor, so if we can save cap $ with his release, I'm for it.

OLB - Spencer must be retained. End of story. What to do with Ware? I believe its in our best interest, to reduce his snaps to perhaps litlle as 60%. He's too good to not have healthy and at this point I see no other means to make that a reality. Perhaps Albright can earn that 40%. Since we'll paying through the nose for Spencer, I can't justify more than a 3rd day pk to compete with what we have.

DL - Not certain we've heard the last of Brent, but I'm certain we'll know how much prison time he gets and if the NFL is in his future before the draft. Assuming he's out, NT BECOMES PRIORITY#1. This where we go with our pick at 18 and it kills two birds with one stone. Like Ware, Ratliff is to good to not have healthy. I don't care about his cap# for 2013. He's by far our best interior pass rusher when healthy, so he stays in reduce nickle defense roll to play 50% of our snaps at NT/DT.

QB - Always open to an excellent prospect after rd one.

RB - Jones is out so a back up is a real need. I'd prefer a day three pick on a RB with size and strength to be a fulltime guy. No scat back, 3rd down type. We need someone to compete with RFAs we bring in who can possibly replace an injured Murray. Here's an out of the box idea, why not have Harris compete at and play some RB. I think he'd do well there. But I understand how valuable he is at WR, just looking for a way to get him the ball a little more.

WR Can't say I have an opion on Austin right now. If he stays, then we should after speed guy on day three.

OL - Ohhh the dreaded OL, when is not a priority. We need to have come to ***** conversation with Free and here's a very fair offer I believe he'll take. 2013 base salary reduction to the league minimum with incentives. He gets 5% of his salary cut returned for each game he starts. No change in future year bases and if he's on the roster affter Feb 2014, his 2014 salary is guaranteed. He basically gets a chance to compete to start and "earn" that salary. Unfortunately, we probably won't have any FA $ so we're going to have to get it done in the draft. Day 2 and 3 selections on the best two we can find...and cross our fingers.
  14. Big Country

Big Country Rolling Thunder

3,716 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Offensive line
    Defensive line
    Safety
    Wide receiver
  15. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,467 Messages
    173 Likes Received
    We need 10 new starting quality players:.

Must:

OT (free is gone)
    DE (Can't role out Spears/Coleman again. Crawford is a rotational player, not a starter, same with Lissemore)
    S ( Sensabaugh is not good. We have no depth at all. While McCray can be a big special teams player we all know he doesn't belong on the field for prolonged periods of time. We can't rely on guys like Frampton in a pinch and Matt Johnson hasn't been healthy to know if he can play)

Needs:

DT Ratliff has racked up injuries lately, and we need somebody who can play significant snaps.
    OLB Butler/Spencer are both free agents. I'm assuming we sign Spencer but we need a player that can come in and put some pressure on the passer as Ware has been struggling to stay healthy the past few seasons. He plays but not 100% due to this. We need someone who can play 20-30 snaps and give Ware/Spencer some rest here and there)
    CB(Jenkins is gone. Scandrick will be back, Moore looked good in spot duty. Need 1 more young CB who can play in a pinch)
    OG We need depth along the OL.
    OC Is Costa the guy? Is Kowalski? Cook was fine in a pinch and did a respectable job but he isn't the future here.

Wants:
    WR Miles has a huge contract and is never healthy for the entire season. I really like Harris but I don't see him as a starter. Ogletree needs to go.
    RB We will let Felix go, the team doesn't seem to think much of Tanner anymore so that leaves us with Murray/Dunbar. I'd love to draft a Kenjon Barner type from Oregon or a Theo Riddick from ND.

We can fill 6 or so of my wants this year between the draft/FA.
  16. CowboyChris

CowboyChris Well-Known Member

2,694 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    ill go into next season assuming.... Spencer is resigned, Crawford is one of our starting DE, and Parnell is our RT. so with that said.

WE need in the following order

(Our biggest Needs)

NT
    DE
    C
    RG

(We could use)

Safety
    RB
    3rd WR

(Not a great priority)

QB - need to find a young Qb to begin the grooming process.
  17. Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead Well-Known Member

965 Messages
    254 Likes Received
    Your list is pretty complete. I would add a couple intangibles:
    1. Re-evaluate our conditioning and improve the program as much as possible. We were so snakebit with injuries that I can't help but wonder if we have a conditioning problem.
    2. Great work in camp on forcing takeaways. I want our D to be way up at the top of the teams with the best takeaway ratios.
  18. AKATheRake

AKATheRake Well-Known Member

3,870 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    1) D-line
    2) O-line
    3) Would be nice to have either in the bold. 2 serious weapons out of the flats. Bush never comes cheap.
  19. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,567 Messages
    501 Likes Received
    MUSTS:

A ROAD GRADER at Guard (Warmack or cooper would be nice)

A DL that can stop the run and get pressure up the middle.

NEEDS:

WANTS:

20. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,567 Messages
    501 Likes Received
    Which the cowboys haven't had since Ray Donaldson.

I'd be fine with a guard with that description though, but yeah... I'd prefer it to be a C.

Maybe Barrett Jones if he drops to the cowboys pick in the 2nd round.