1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Livings/Bern

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Teague31, Jun 11, 2013.

1. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Well im glad the coaching staff isn't.

I like how they are "Jerry's guards", too.

:laugh2:
  2. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,454 Messages
    424 Likes Received
    Had to sneak that in there! :D
  3. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    It was very subtle. :cool:
  4. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,923 Messages
    9,009 Likes Received
    I don't need alternate rankings. Nate Livings sucks. So does Bernadeau.

No numbers crunching stat geek website needed, Mikey.
  5. Risen Star

21,923 Messages
    9,009 Likes Received
    You worry about cohesion once you have talent.

The truth is this team's OL fully healthy and bonded like blood brothers sucked large last year and we needed a massive overhaul to change things. That hasn't happened, so I expect another year of inept line play as the franchise QB gets older.
  6. TheSport78

8,454 Messages
    424 Likes Received
    How would you feel if Dallas released Livings in the final cuts and relegated Bernadeau as a backup, swing guy?

Smith-Frederick-Costa-Leary-Free

Best case scenario for 2013 IMO.
  7. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Don't let others' opinions change your own, brotha.

You had it right in #5. :)
  8. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

12,614 Messages
    540 Likes Received
    What I would love to know is IF it came down to these three at RG, who is the best option?

Arkin, Costa, or Kowalski? I'm leaning towards Killer with Costa nipping at his heels...

I believe if Livings is still injured come game time then Leary gets the nod at LG because he's been there most of the OTA's with the 1's and likely will be there through camp...
  9. TheSport78

8,454 Messages
    424 Likes Received
    That's the question though: Would you rather have Costa at center or Livings at guard?

Personally, I think Costa has more upside and FITS Callahan's ZB scheme much better than Livings.

Peter Konz played guard in Atlanta for his rookie season and now he's projected to be their starting center. It's been done before.

Heck, Frederick can still make the line calls; Kosier did it at guard for a while.
  10. Risen Star

21,923 Messages
    9,009 Likes Received
    Agree to disagree.

The single biggest plus to this offseason was getting Costa off the field, IMO.

I don't think you'll be able to come up with 5 from this roster that looks good. You're looking for less bad.

Smith Livings Frederick Bernadeau Parnell is probably it for me.
  11. Risen Star

21,923 Messages
    9,009 Likes Received
    I'd rather have Livings. He'd bad but compared to the rest not named Smith or Frederick, he's like a blue chipper.
  12. Risen Star

21,923 Messages
    9,009 Likes Received
    If you had 10 people rank the offensive linemen in the league, you'd have 10 different rankings.

That's why they don't mean anything.
  13. 38 Special

38 Special Member

39 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Assuming Costa is one of the best 5 (and I've seen no evidendence of this myself), I still think Fred needs to stay at C.

Why jerk a rookie around in different positions? He needs to be getting every rep he can at C and worry about helping out at the other positions after another year or two. Asking a rookie to come in and start day 1 is hard enough, lets not make it any more difficult on the guy than it has to be.
  14. Erik_H

Erik_H Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun. Zone Supporter

2,447 Messages
    77 Likes Received
    I think that Frederick might be better at guard than Costa by a larger amount than he would be better at center (if that makes any sense).

If Costa could play guard well enough, it would be the best solution though.
  15. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Honestly, whoever plays better. As of right now though.. Livings, all day. I don't want to move Fred from center though. If Costa plays well, let him compete for a guard spot. I'd like to see Leary and Kowalski get major consideration to start at RG this year.
  16. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    If Livings knee keeps acting up the best thing to do is give him an injury settlement and move on. Thankfully we didn't restructure his contract. He was a guy meant to be a 2-year stopgap so it isn't that big of a deal to release him a year early.

I think you have to choose the best unit of 5 in the end. I do think that Costa is likely one of those players and I don't know whether it makes sense to play him at Center or OG. I suspect Costa is a better OG than Center in most systems but there may be something about Callahan's system that makes him a poor fit at OG.

I suspect for this upcoming year that Costa will be the best Center on the roster. I'm just not sure how determined the staff is to keep Frederick at Center with the hopes that maybe he will be ahead of where Costa would be by the end of the year. I don't think that is quite the right way to do things. You need good consistent Center play at the beginning of the year and Costa is the most ready.

I would favor:

Tyron Leary Costa TFred Free/Parnell
  17. 38 Special

38 Special Member

39 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Agreed. I'd much rather move the vet over to compete than a rookie trying to catch up with the speed of the NFL.
  18. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,783 Messages
    1,173 Likes Received
    Their's means something, they pick the starters. They also know what the players responsibility was on the play. Everyone else is guessing.
  19. jjktkk

jjktkk Active Member

1,663 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    A plastic one at that.
  20. Thatkidbob

Thatkidbob Member

343 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    I've seen video of Frederick pulling... It wasn't pretty.

He's better suited to playing center, where his speed isn't an issue.