1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Livings - comments from Bengals board

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Wimbo, Mar 16, 2012.

1. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,287 Messages
    1,234 Likes Received
    Why? You don't care what fans think, so I don't see the point of discussing anything with them.
  2. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,671 Messages
    270 Likes Received
    Arizona was saying this about Leonard Davis too and look how that turned out for us.
  3. Rockytop6

Rockytop6 Well-Known Member

2,072 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    I need this. I've been flying high from cloud to cloud but this really brings me down to earth. I know you have to take the celebrating from the team of his departure with some perspective, but they have such overwhelmingly rejoicing that it isn't encouraging. But more creditable is the grading of one of the services to grade him as the worst g in the league is very disconcerting. There is one statement however that is a mixed bag where they say he has the physical ability but his problem is mental where he can't get the assignments down.
    The positive is that he has the physical ability and the negative is that he can't understand the scheme and maybe in a different scheme he could do well.

Fnally, Carr was at the top of my FA list but so many claim he was grossly overpaid was disappointing, but I'm glad we have him regardless of the price. But this signing of Living seems to be another overpaying situation without the assurance of securing a good player. The silver lining is that the powers that be believe he is worth nearly $4 M per year so we have to have confidence in THEM rather than in HIM.

I will really be disappointed if his signing precludes us from signing DeCastro
  4. bbailey423

bbailey423 Well-Known Member

5,025 Messages
    601 Likes Received
    sarcasm?
  5. Rockytop6

Rockytop6 Well-Known Member

2,072 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    I think it is the $4 M a year that raises the doubts about getting DeCastro.
  6. Mash

Mash Active Member

4,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Its a bad signing plain and simple....

I dont complain much....but this move is a bad one.

In 2 years he will be gone......we have to wait at least that long to eat the sigining bonus.

Its bad when Bengal fans laugh at us ....we overpayed for one of their scrubs.
  7. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,548 Messages
    729 Likes Received

How can you even come to this conclusion? Do you not even listen to what Coach Garrett has said NUMEROUS times about his draft process?

PAY THE **** ATTENTION!!!
  8. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    I never said i don't care what fellow fans think.. on the contrary, i think the opinions of fans can be very interesting and informative at times.

However, im not going to take the opinions of fans as fact over the opinions of coaches/front office guys who are paid to evaluate players. If you want to, that's fine, but i think those guys tend to be a bit more informed and level headed than fans, don't you?
  9. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,287 Messages
    1,234 Likes Received
    I take it these isn't one of those times then, right?

No one said anything about taking one opinion for fact.
  10. boysfanindc

boysfanindc Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,087 Messages
    497 Likes Received
    Callahan is loading up on guys who he believes have a skill set that translates well to a zone blocking scheme. The two new signings have not primarily played this scheme in the pros. But he must have seen enough on tape to believe that while these guys were avg in a man power scheme they will excel in a zone scheme.

Could be wise if you think about it, below average salary for past performance in man scheme but get really good players for zone scheme. If it works because he sees what he needs for his scheme at cheaper price.

He is a good coach who has used both schemes in the past and transitioned man power lines to zone lines in the past. I think for now I am going to trust him as his eye for what he needs for his scheme.

Skill sets are different.
  11. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,859 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    Hypothesis for you.

When pick #14 comes up and there is a DL or OLB with equal grade to DeCastro who do you think they would pick?
  12. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hey, they're Bungles fans, it's simply not fair to expect them to know something about football...
  13. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,728 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Decastro...but then again I want to strengthen the weakest unit on the team. Some have other priorities. We hit with o-line early last year and we could do it again this year. Quite frankly our track record of drafting d-line or o-line has not been good, but Decastro seems more like a sure thing. LB's have been a bunch of misses outside of Ware. Go with the "sure" thing.
  14. Bluestang

5,548 Messages
    729 Likes Received

They take the guy that can improve, room to grow into an elite player whoever that may be. Think like Tyron Smith, one of the big reasons we got him was because they thought he could move to LT because he had elite measurables but needed some coaching to improve his craft.
  15. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,667 Messages
    1,487 Likes Received
    No doubt in my mind DL even before these signings and I want DeCastro.
  16. raybone

raybone New Member

3 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Not sure why they went for this guy. I mean, yeah, we all talked bad about bennett, and obviously the giants are taking a prove it approach as he only got a one year deal. This is pretty good money for a 30 year old tackle that hasn't impressed.
    I will give him the benefit of the doubt (have no choice) and hope the coaches and scouts found a diamond where no one else was looking.:starspin
  17. MonsterD

MonsterD Quota outta absentia

3,682 Messages
    314 Likes Received
    I am going to wait and see if this guy is as bad as Procter which is the way he is being described currently.
  18. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Am i taking the opinion of Bengals fans over Callahan and our team officials/coaches?

No. That was a pretty simple question/answer to go through all this for.
  19. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,859 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    That's not how the Cowboys will look at it I assure you. OG is the least valuable position other FB to NFL personnel men. Them filling those positions makes it harder to pick a OG that high unless he is absolutely the best player with no other position even close. And there should be some interesting DL and OLB candidates available at that slot.
  20. Bluestang

5,548 Messages
    729 Likes Received

You also have to factor in potential. Has DeCatro reached his potential? Can he improve his technique or can get quicker or stronger? Do you pick a guy that has reached his potential or a guy that has elite measurables and just needs coaching to reach his potential?