1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Livings pulling ability.

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by TTexasTT, Dec 20, 2012.

1. TTexasTT

TTexasTT Well-Known Member

1,926 Messages
    737 Likes Received
    Im def not an authority on O-line performance but for those of you have the games available to watch.
    Check out the Bengals game 4th quarter @ 2:05 mark
    &
    Steelers game 1st quarter @ 4:45 mark
    Both times Livings pulls right and there is a massive collision, and both times gear gets launched into the air. Anyone else notice these plays?
  2. D29Murray

D29Murray New Member

378 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Saw them live, as they happened... well, I shouldn't say "them." I saw one of those plays... I think it was the first.
  3. TTexasTT

1,926 Messages
    737 Likes Received
    i think the one against the Bengals actually hurt him a bit. Both were awesome.
  4. D29Murray

D29Murray New Member

378 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I'm sorry, I read wrong. The one I saw was vs the Steelers. He's been a pleasant surprise. If we could clone him, I might actually be happy with the OL.
  5. cowboyschmps3

cowboyschmps3 Well-Known Member

2,619 Messages
    146 Likes Received
    Yeah I noticed it mentioned it on anger post it was a nice pop
  6. Everson24

Everson24 Well-Known Member

1,100 Messages
    76 Likes Received
    Yeah I noticed it too when I re-watched the Steeler game. Not only can you see a mouth guard or something go flying in the air you can really hear the hit. I loved it!
  7. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,876 Messages
    465 Likes Received
    When Livings was healthy he was playing good ball. I think he's been a nice find.
  8. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

....re-watched the game and Ray Mauluga(sp?) their LB'er crushed him...I mean Livings just crumpled:eek: ....... but overall the unit has improved from pathetic to well below average: that's the truth. It's also true that 90% of the QB's in this league would do absolutely NOTHING behind this oline: Romo is a magician IMO........dude is WAY underrated.

Absolute SHAME this defense is so depleted: if it wasn't we'd be a serious threat in the playoffs.....hate injuries.
  9. TTexasTT

1,926 Messages
    737 Likes Received
    lol Yeah Id say the LB got the better end of that hit. However since he wasnt in on the tackle Id mark it a victory for Livings.
  10. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

6,196 Messages
    284 Likes Received
    Yeah i remember both plays. I thought Malauga definitely got the better of their collision. As a side note, I thought Cincy's ILBs were the most physical group we've played all year. The play vs Pitt was a stalemate. But as the OP said, both were very loud collisions with equipment flying.
  11. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

.....I wasn't trying to denegrate Nate....football is a brutal sport and everyone gets knocked on their butt sometimes....it's the nature of the sport. I've been happy with his play lately. I do think he plays up and down to his competition though, and Cinci fans said that was his biggest problem. He's had some VERY average games vs. mediocre teams yet played VERY well the last two weeks in wins against darn good teams: he needs to be more consistent IMO.
  12. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,435 Messages
    1,456 Likes Received
    if he is not consistent now he never will be
  13. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,048 Messages
    7,527 Likes Received
    He also didn't play VERY well or even very well against the Bengals. He was awful. Consistently abused. I don't know what people are watching.
  14. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,783 Messages
    4,335 Likes Received
    I noticed the one in the Steelers game. Something flew straight up into the air like it was shot out of a cannon. I've watched it several times from both the broadcast and the two views from the all-22, but I can't determine what piece of equipment got launched into the air.

15. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,827 Messages
    5,539 Likes Received
    Yep. He was blown up. He was also playing against a better player, so that's a game where you'd expect him to have some struggles.

I'm ok with just slightly-above average OL play if it's consistent and we're able to help out in the spots where we're overmatched. I know you and I don't agree on that front, and that my opinion in that regard is not a popular one. But Romo has a dimension to his game where he can make one guy miss and buy time, I don't mind using it because I think it helps us by letting us use resources elsewhere. What you can't have is up-and-down play at multiple positions or *any* missed assignments. We had too much of that early in the year for a variety of reasons.

But our interior line has settled down in that regard (problems you get when they're just facing better players aside), and our OT play has appeared to stabilize when we threatened Doug Free's snaps. NO will be a decent challenge for our edge protection in the passing game. If they hold up and we can score points, I'd say our OL is in about as good a shape as it's been in all season. And by that I'd mean we're at or slightly below average but good enough that we can still beat good teams with our passing game.
  16. Risen Star

21,048 Messages
    7,527 Likes Received
    I'm not. Why would I be okay and settle for slightly above average at such a critical position like the OL?

And only a Cowboys fan would call this slop slightly above average. I know they had a good game last week but overall this year they've been slightly above a semi-pro line.
  17. Idgit

29,827 Messages
    5,539 Likes Received
    The obvious answer here is that OL (it's not a position, it's a position group) just isn't that critical overall. OT play is critical, I'll agree. But good teams win all the time without great interior players on the offensive line. All you need is 'good enough' there as the Giants proved again just last season.

Now, I'd love it if we were better than that, but I don't want to get there at the expense of other positions I deem more important. Namely, DL at this point. I can live with good enough and the hope that we can develop some players over time to be better than that if it means having more resources to spend on guys who can hurt the other team's passing effectiveness. Especially here while we've got Tony Romo who's able to extend plays and usually handle a pass rusher who comes free and still get the ball downfield.
  18. Risen Star

21,048 Messages
    7,527 Likes Received
    Okay. Thanks for the convo.
  19. Idgit

29,827 Messages
    5,539 Likes Received
    Consider it my early stocking stuffer for you. You can tell people how much you enjoyed it over the long holiday.
  20. dools

dools Member

219 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    The main reason we need better interior o-line play is so we can successfully run the ball, specifically in goal line and short yardage situations.