1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Long, long time Cowboy gurus

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by TTexasTT, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Ultra Warrior

Ultra Warrior 6 Million Light-years beyond believability.

1,461 Messages
    160 Likes Received
    Hated everyone on the Steelers, though I've grown to like Terry since then. Still hate that he helped deny us of 2 Championships, but seems like a good guy & backs the Cowboys quite often.
  2. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,370 Messages
    1,401 Likes Received
    This is a different conversation. If you don't believe he should be in the HOF, that's fine,that's your opinion but my original statement was accurate. Swan was the best I've ever seen at making the unbelievable catch.
  3. bark

bark Well-Known Member

1,976 Messages
    759 Likes Received
    You said he was great . I said he had a couple of great games where he made unbelievable tyree type catches.
    I posted his career number. These are not great numbers even for that era. Drew Pearson posted 449 receptions yet is deemed not hall worthy..
    Swam = way overhyped media darling
  4. ABQCOWBOY

34,370 Messages
    1,401 Likes Received
    He was great. News flash, there are a lot of great players who are not in the HOF. There are also players in the HOF that I do not view as all that great. I've never ever saw another player who could demonstrate the kind of body control that Swan could, along with the concentration required to make those catches. He was great.

I suppose this is one of those situations when we can agree to disagree.
  5. Flinger

Flinger Active Member

771 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    The only reason Lynn Swann is in the HOF and Drew Pearson is out is because of those SB catches. Drew was a much better and much more accomplished receiver.

I was privileged to sit next to Terry Brashaw on a flight from LA to Dallas. He sat next to the window with a cap pulled down over his eyes so no one would notice him as the plane boarded since we were up in 1st class and our seats were pretty much the first one everyone sees when they board.

First, he shook my hand and introduced himself. His hands were twice the size of mine. When I shared my name, he started bustin' on me and had all kinds of fun with it. Reminded me of my days playing ball - locker room banter. But, here he is - a hall of fame player laughing and bustin' on me. Great guy. I swear, I laughed for 2 hours. Just a wonderful human being.

Said he was living in Dallas and loves Big D (This was about 25 years ago - not sure where he lives now).

I told him that I hated the way he 'beat up' on my Boys', but really respected him and his team. He said - 'hey, we got a few breaks and it could have gone either way. Those were some great games and two great teams'.

Terry Bradshaw holds a high place of esteem in my book.

It was truly a privilege.
    lane likes this.
  6. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

5,716 Messages
    1,340 Likes Received
    I believe he still holds the javelin record for L.S.U.
  7. bark

bark Well-Known Member

1,976 Messages
    759 Likes Received

And there are a lot of good players from great teams that shouldn't be there and Lynn swam is exhibit A. .....
    Again 330 career catches or roughly 2 catches/ game played. A travesty to call him great....
    But you are certainly not the first to do so . I heard "swany this and that until I could puke back in the day...
    I admit to being a bit snarky when it comes to that era of the steelers v cowboys so i will agree to disagree....
    Now you will have to excuse me, all this steeler talk is making me a bit queasy..
  8. bark

bark Well-Known Member

1,976 Messages
    759 Likes Received
    He didn't attend lsu
  9. ABQCOWBOY

34,370 Messages
    1,401 Likes Received
    LaTech I believe.
  10. bark

bark Well-Known Member

1,976 Messages
    759 Likes Received
    Yes in Ruston.
  11. mrmojo

mrmojo Active Member

764 Messages
    217 Likes Received
    Drew Pearson should be there instead of him IMO
    bark likes this.
  12. bark

bark Well-Known Member

1,976 Messages
    759 Likes Received
    I want to add one more thing to this thread. Thinking about Ruston and LSU got me to thinking about Bert jones and that got me thinking about just how many great quarterbacks there were in that era.
    Roger
    Bradshaw
    Tarkenton
    Stabler
    Bert jones
    Archie manning
    And I'm sure I'm leaving some out...
    This was the golden era of football for me.
  13. dupree89

dupree89 Well-Known Member

1,838 Messages
    996 Likes Received
    It is generally accepted that the first two Steelers Super Bowls were because of the defense. The next two were because of the offense. Bradshaw in his younger days was a good runner. Not so much scrambling around waiting for a guy to get open- I mean taking the ball and running. He also had a big arm..and to this day he is the best "bad weather" QB I have ever watched play. He called his own plays too.
  14. dupree89

dupree89 Well-Known Member

1,838 Messages
    996 Likes Received

It is an absolute disgrace that Snake Stabler isnt in the HOF. Clearly he is a victim of playing for those renegade Raider teams. Bert Jones was an excellent QB. What a gun he had. I think injuries really kept him from being a super star. I remember that Colts team would all hold hands in the huddle. Another guy from that general era....Dan Fouts. I think he got his start around 1975-76ish and by the late 70s he was a big time QB.

I started following the NFL in 1974...and to this day one answer of mine remains the same. If someone says
    "you can take any QB from any era....you gotta go 80 yards in 1:50 and you have no timeouts...who is your QB?" I would take Kenny Stabler. Staubach, Montana, Marino etc all excellent. But Kenny Stabler was so cool and calm and just incredibly clutch.
    bark likes this.
  15. mrmojo

mrmojo Active Member

764 Messages
    217 Likes Received
    Other than Drew the Snake should be in too.....he was the definition of clutch....the HOF is a joke how Jack Youngblood, John Randle and Andre Tippet are in is beyond me.
    bark likes this.
  16. Arkyvarminter

Arkyvarminter Active Member

980 Messages
    153 Likes Received
    Some may remember this, some may not, but the Steelers played dirty in the SB's in the 70's against us. Its hard for me to remember but it seems like there was a lot of pushing and shoving after the play was over. We were more of a finesse team and they were a bunch of tough guys. I still think we had the better team but I would think that being a cowboy fan. Landry even labeled them as "dirty". They pushed us around after the play quiet a bit. I hate that team. Bradshaw was very good but he was no Roger Staubach....
    bark likes this.
  17. bark

bark Well-Known Member

1,976 Messages
    759 Likes Received
    The snake was a great one and played in some of the most famous games in the nfl. He was quarterbacking the raiders to victory over the steelers in the playoffs until the immaculate reception happened.
    The playoffs in 77 with the colts and Bert jones was one of the greatest battles I ever saw.
    It's a shame he is in the hall and also a shame he didn't finish his career with the raiders . He fell out with al over a contract and the oilers sent pastorini to the raiders thinking the snake would finally get them past the steelers but wound up losing to the raiders in the playoffs.
    An all timer clutch qb
  18. bark

bark Well-Known Member

1,976 Messages
    759 Likes Received
    I remember cliff harris giving their fg kicker the business for missing a kick and jack lambert grabbed him and tossed him like a rag doll. The game changed after that as I recall
  19. hutch1254

hutch1254 Well-Known Member

1,418 Messages
    146 Likes Received
    SB XIII absolutely killed me. I remember I had all my football cards for Dallas and Pittsburgh out on the floor in front of the TV, I was 8 years old. When we lost I remember tearing up a bunch of the Steelers cards and I ran to my room crying. It was awful. Just painful.

Bradshaw did have a big arm and was good with the deep ball but I didn't think he was all that great in the short game. His WR's helped him look better than he was sometimes. He was good but the guy was surrounded by some serious talent. I mean look at all the HOF'ers from the teams that played with him. The defense was unreal. You grew up feeling you couldn't score on them. What gets missed especially is the tandem of Harris and Rocky Bleier. Those guys defined the power run game that Steelers fans still live on today, although, I felt Franco ran out of bounds a lot to save himself on hits. The run game and defense supported the hell out of Bradshaw and he could gamble on deep throws.

I do know this. Steelers fans that I talk to, older ones, to this day still hate the draft pick and feel Bradshaw was nothing more than a higher level Trent Dilfer in some situations.

When we beat the Steelers in 95 it was incredible and I don't hesitate to let Steelers fans know they made Larry Brown an MVP. If we had lost that game to them I would have been devastated. My family and I have roots of hatred that run deep for the Steelers. To this day I get text msgs from my mom celebrating a Steelers loss. Hey what can I say, genuine hate is good for sports.
    Ashwynn, dreghorn2, theSHOW and 2 others like this.
  20. bark

bark Well-Known Member

1,976 Messages
    759 Likes Received
    I feel you my man.