1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Long, long time Cowboy gurus

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by TTexasTT, Jan 8, 2014.

1. rpntex

rpntex Active Member

276 Messages
    135 Likes Received
    He had two very good WRs. Stallworth was, IMO, more valuable than :Lynn Swann, but Swann got all the press. Grossman was a decent TE as well. Bradshaw also had a very good RB in Franco Harris. Bottom line, he had many weapons at his disposal.

Most important, however, was that he had a defense like non other of the era. All four members of his DL were Pro Bowlers at one point in their careers, as were all three LBers (Jack Ham, Andy Russell and Jack Lambert), and three members of the secondary (Mel Blount, Glen Edwards, & Mike Wagner). In the '75 season, when Dallas lost to them in SB X, EIGHT members of the starting defense made the pro bowl. Fpour members of that defense are in the Hall of Fame (Joe Greene, Lambert, Ham, and Blount). The '75 Steeler defense gave up 162 points in a 14-game season (11.6 ppg).

As for Bradshaw himself, I never thought he was anywhere near elite. His career completion percentage is something like 52.1%, and his TD-Int. Ration is almost 1:1. Still, he was tough to beat because he had a defense and a running game that could bail him out when he was not "on".
  2. mrmojo

mrmojo Well-Known Member

1,342 Messages
    365 Likes Received

Lol thanks for the post. I go back too and I remember having to go on the roof and turn the antenna until the picture was clear and we had a black and white! I remember the static also, my sisters could not blow dry their hair or run any appliance when the Cowboys were on. 3 channels and you would have to wait for highlights on the news or Howard Cosell. Great memories, the Cowboys were a big part of my childhood.
  3. MikeT22

MikeT22 Active Member

426 Messages
    232 Likes Received
    It always catches my attention when I see highlights from the 80's and early 90's. Even as recent as the Aikman, Emmitt and Irvin teams, the shoulder pads were huge and bulky.
    TTexasTT likes this.
  4. TTexasTT

TTexasTT Well-Known Member

1,926 Messages
    737 Likes Received
    Ha, I remember my uncle having a little TV on top of the big TV because the big one only got 2 of the 3 channels and the little one could be moved around easier for better reception.
    Just like this one (minus the type writer)
    [IMG]

I dont know if I could go back to those days. Just imagine how nice it wouldve been then to have those overhead cams, HD, super slowmo, rewind and dozens of different angles... lol
    mrmojo likes this.
  5. bark

bark Well-Known Member

2,751 Messages
    1,296 Likes Received
    First game I ever watched was at the cotton bowl in the 66 season. Meredith threw 5 tds that day, three of them to bullet bob and they destroyed the eagles something like 50-7. It was the day I became a full blown cowboy fan for life.
    Dandy don was the toughest qb I ever saw play the game. His nose was broken several times each yr. they would bring him to the side for a few plays to "reset" it and he right back out there.
    TTexasTT likes this.
  6. mrmojo

mrmojo Well-Known Member

1,342 Messages
    365 Likes Received
    Yup the little TVs got better reception, thats why we had to install an antenna on the roof for the big TV. Oh the graphics were ancient compared to now but not so many commercials and the Cowboys were always on, season was done by mid-January. Loved Frank Gleiber and Don Criqui....Summerall and Brookesheir...Dick Enberg and Merlin Olsen..Curt Gowdy. That was a glorious decade, a lot of great personalities, teams and players.
    bark and TTexasTT like this.
  7. theSHOW

theSHOW Benched

3,490 Messages
    1,146 Likes Received

My mother threw away all my good stuff. Must have been payback for all the dinner interruptions. The Dallas Cowboys 1st Super Bowl win was a party. Bob Lilly sacked Greasy, or was it Morrell, for a 29 yard loss....and the party was on
  8. theSHOW

theSHOW Benched

3,490 Messages
    1,146 Likes Received
    I grew up as Morton and Staubach were handed the reigns. Dandy Don was singing Monday Nights, the end of the monkey helmet era and the Ice Bowl. As a kid I was covered in mud daily and lovin' it.
  9. theSHOW

theSHOW Benched

3,490 Messages
    1,146 Likes Received

This^

was our family tv. Never had a remote in my hand. Played "knee football" with the other boys during commercials. This would be the tv that would watch the famous Jim Marshall wrong way run that was replayed constantly during intros and the like. Love the television lol , just had to post the photo again.
    mrmojo likes this.