1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Looking at adopting a dog

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by ajk23az, Jan 5, 2013.

1. ajk23az

ajk23az Through Pain Comes Clarity

7,670 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    I really don't have a specific breed in mind to be honest and was hoping on getting some suggestions from some of you.

A few breeds that I am interested in are Beagles, Boxers, Labrador Retrievers, & German Short-hair Pointers. Do any of you have these? If so, can you give me some pros/cons of them. Also, if anyone has ever adopted a dog, how was your experience, should I know anything beforehand?

We already have a small dog (10-13 lbs) that sort of gets intimidated by larger dogs, but the more often she meets them, she warms up.

I saw this guy on PetFinder and am awaiting an email/call back.
  2. Shadowy329

Shadowy329 Member

232 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I have a boxer they're good dogs mine is 8 and still plays like and has the energy of a puppy from what I've seen of other boxers they're close to the same as well. They can be stubborn though and a slight pain to train it took a long while to get mine to stop jumping up on people when they come in the door she still has the occasional one get through the training.

I like boxers they're a good mid/large dog mine is slightly over weight at 75lbs but it's all muscle.

The only down sides I've had with her aside from the training when she was young is they're a breed that is fairly prone to cancer she just had surgery to remove cancer. A few less serious "issues" are depending on coloration they get mistaken for pitbulls fairly often though it could just be my neighbors not knowing much about breeds. The other is every boxer I've know has problems with gas and there is no hiding it they clear the room.

My advice is if you have the time and room to play with them a lot to burn off their energy they're a good breed and very loyal and loving very friendly as well.
  3. da_whiz_kid

da_whiz_kid Active Member

867 Messages
    113 Likes Received
    That looks like a pit mix. I have an American Pit Bull Terrior. GREAT DOG, very loving and playful as heck! They have tons of energy and you havr to walk them at least twice a day. Very obedient, and loves to be loved.
  4. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    You know what I'm going to recommend. :)

An older lady near me adopted an older black lab last year... I think the dog was five or six years old, so it wasn't a puppy. It's one of the nicest, best-tempered dogs I've ever seen.

I really don't think there are any cons, unless you want a smaller dog. Keep in mind that the yellows and chocolates tend to be bigger than the blacks, and the chocolates have a reputation for being a little wilder and more boisterous. In my case that's very true. :)

Another woman near me has some boxers, and they're pretty aggressive. They've actually jumped on a few other dogs around here.

Guess part of it depends on what kind of temperament you want your dog to have.
  5. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

6,926 Messages
    592 Likes Received
    I currently have two boxers and a pit bull. All three are fantastic and loving. Boxers are full of energy and they think they're lap days. :D

I know a lot of people don't like pit bulls due to the bad rap and the owners that ruin them (IMO) but I've never had a problem with mine and he's a great dog like my boxers.

I would get whatever you want but check on the temperament and health concerns of the breed. Boxers and Pits have a thumbs up from me. Also, as said above, labs are great too. Neighbor has two labs and they play with my dogs all the time.
  6. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

38,376 Messages
    4,229 Likes Received
    I love Beagles but they aren't the best pets IMO. I know many will disagree and I've had many over the years. But I hunted mine.

German Short hairs are in general not good pets at all. I've had them and hunted them. Even when their disposition is suitable they require a lot of time and some are extremely stubborn.

Labs/Goldens are great pets. My only problem is they shed a ton. Can't beat them for a pet o/w IMO.

Boxers are my new love. They make great pets. They are very protective more so than most dogs. They are as sweat as Labs/Goldens. They are smart but they require a good bit of training in general. They would lay down their life for you. I've never had a better pet. Loyal, obedient, protective, and generally non-destructive. They do require attention but being in the same room is often good enough. They do require activity.

Cons are not the longest lived dogs, a fair amount of genetic problems and their teeth wear prematurely, they often get joint problems esp ACL and meniscal tears, and they have a fair amount of joint dysplasia although not as bad as some. I would stick with a neutered female and I would buy them from sires and dames with no history of major problems. Spend the money up front to avoid the problems down the road. Genetics is so important. They also beat their tails so I'd get the tail docked but not the ears. If you're way opposed to the tail then as long as they don't beat it on everything that's ok. Getting them docked later in life is a tad more dangerous than as a puppy. Super great dogs. They shed but not as much as labs/Goldens.

I'd consider a standard poodle with excellent breeding looking for a calm female or male or a second generation labradoodle or such to avoid the dander. JMO. There are plenty of other breeds.

I'd stay away from dogs with lots of congenital problems, hyperactive dogs or ones which require a great deal of activity or need to work (like German Short hairs, Chesapeakes, working dogs), large dogs (they slobber and die young and eat and you know a lot), and small dogs in general although there are great exceptions to this one.

Just to throw it out there but a young mutt from the pound needs rescuing, will generally have hybrid vigor, and often make great companions. Just look for the right one. Retired companion dogs are great but are older dogs obviously. Greyhounds are great dogs although make sure they haven't been mistreated and you probably don't want to let them off leash in most circumstances.
  7. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,039 Messages
    144 Likes Received
    I've had lab mixes, boxers and great danes, and all were great dogs. The Danes had short lifespans though, and ate like a horse.

Also, I've known a number of folks with Recycled Racer greyhounds, and after they get settled down from being professional athletes, they were great dogs too. My vet raises sighthounds, mostly greyhounds and salukis, and swears by them.
  8. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,472 Messages
    174 Likes Received
    I have a boxer, as everyone else has said, absolutely great pets. They are big lovers and want attention constantly. They love to be right up against you whether on the couch or laying by your feet while you watch tv. They are extremely active and very playful.

Downside: They are a short hair breed, so like many other short hair breeds are prone to allergies (so not great outdoors dog) and big breeds have shorter lives (8-12 years).

That said, they are wonderful. I agree with the poster that is most definitely NOT a Boxer mix. That is a Pit Mix. (I've also owned a Pit Bull in the past, sweet dog, very loving. They get a bad rep, the ones that are bad are usually chained to a tree and neglected it's entire life. Not a family dog, the ones that are taken into families and loved are no different than any other breed.)
  9. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

4,718 Messages
    1,307 Likes Received
    I have a Husky that I got when she was 6 weeks old(bought her from a breeder who breeds them for the movies and for racing) she is 45lbs very good dog! Probably one of the most amazing breeds I have ever been around. She is very mellow and great with my 8lb mutt that I rescued. She is gorgeous well behaved listens and knows hand commands without ever going to a trainer. They shed a ton! She isn't a barker, but she loves to explor. I love the breed.
  10. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,580 Messages
    516 Likes Received
    I have 3 huskies. None of them nearly as well behaved as yours though. :laugh1:

Love 'em all. One of them isn't doing too well lately though. In the last year she's lost a tooth (K9), a leg (due to Valley Fever), sight in her right eye (most likely also due to Valley Fever), had a tumor removed from inside her cheek (cancerous but they think they got all of it), and is not having some liver and gallbladder issues (most likely from the Valley fever medication - Fluconazol).

She's a survivor. She had heartworms when we adopted her from the shelter. She was scheduled for termination the next day.

That was around 8-9 years ago.
  11. davidyee

davidyee Maple Leaf

3,751 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    ...a rescue. Ignore breeds if you can. Consider your personal commitment to a second dog. Especially the sporting and working breeds you have listed.

A rule of thumb estimate the time you have for another pet. Double that estimate if you want to train it properly. If you are getting a younger animal possibly triple that time especially the breeds you are mentioning.

Last of all be a responsible owner and take pet ownership seriously. You can reference an old thread here about a unsupervised cat.

Not same animal, but unsupervised, undisciplined has gotten many pet owners in trouble and in conflict.

Good luck on your search.
  12. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,889 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    The best dog we ever had was a German Sheppard/Chow-Chow/Mutt mix. He was loving, protective, and lived to be about 14.

As far as having a dog to guard the family nothing beat the Akita we had. However she was not good around non-family members at all. We'd leave the room and she would corner company we had over.

Jen, my partner, works at a vet clinic and sees all breeds of dogs. She recommends mutts to family and friends because of longer lifespans and fewer medical issues. So my personal opinion is that you find the size and temperament you want in a dog and shop the pound for animals that fit.
  13. Shunpike

Shunpike Active Member

768 Messages
    172 Likes Received
    Can you provide some links to mutts? I have no experience in dogs but my kids are now asking for a dog. I don't want to disappoint them and I am looking for a kid friendly dog.
  14. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,889 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    A mutt is just any old dog that's of mixed decent.
  15. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,141 Messages
    1,113 Likes Received
    I think if you're interested in adopting, the best way is to just go to the adoption center and look at a lot of dogs. Ask to spend private time with them and some places will even let you take them home for a night, if you check out.

I wouldn't go in with a breed in mind, as a lot of them are mixed breed. Pure Breeds up for adoption tend to be a bit of a mixed bag, in my opinion. They aren't cheap, so for them to end up being available for adoption, you know something bad probably happened.
  16. davidyee

davidyee Maple Leaf

3,751 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    Mutts are much maligned in our designer world of today.

Often a mutt's mixed breeding will soften the negative characteristics, and improve the positives. Especially in areas where a purebred has developed genetic issues.

You will often find that temperment wise a mutt will be mixed just like it breeding.

An Akita which was bred in Japan for military/police use and is difficult to have in a home where people visit may be better with a bit of mix in him/her.

A better characteristic to choose is the size of pet and some of the physical demands the original breed has.

Figure out big or small dog and then consider sporting/working background versus toy background.

It tough to see a family fall in love with a energetic sporting or working dog or mixed working/sporting mutt and don't have the time to take the dog out to release it's natural energy on a daily basis.
  17. davidyee

davidyee Maple Leaf

3,751 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    ...to forward the cause of the mutt, but if you do go to an adoption centre and they have a purebred you love don't hesitate to give the poor animal a chance.

As long as you have considered that your commitment to the animal matches the needs of the animal give a good home to an animal who needs it.

(9) years ago we saved a kitten with Cerebellum Hypaplasia and although it was very challenging for the first two years I don't think our family would have it any other way.
  18. Hopeuhavechange

Hopeuhavechange New Member

145 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Adopted many dogs, been fortunate. Get a mutt would be my advice. Golden mixes are great. Consider an adopting an adult, housebroken dog that doesnt have hx of biting or destruction, escaping, etc. Look for calm but not passive disposition. Playfulness and strong curiousity is good. You don't want a dominant dog, really, with one already on board. Lots of pit mixes in shelters and they can be good dogs but you need to be a firm, responsible owner. Love pits but have only and would only buy from show dog breeder. Too many aggressive bloodlines due to irresponsible breeders. Would not bring one into scenario you describe w sm dog. Shepherds and shep mixes are great dogs/ companions..very loyal. Of course terriers are excellent but very energetic and driven and can be yappy and rip apart furniture when bored. Also labs and lab/golden crosses are great. I found one on the street and he never leaves my side. Might be the steak in my pocket, though.
  19. Hopeuhavechange

Hopeuhavechange New Member

145 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    [IMG]

[IMG]

These 2 get along famously
    [IMG]

Synergistic pair: one guards the premises; the other the feed closet

[IMG]

Nurse to the infirmed

[IMG]

Lovable mutt

[IMG]

[IMG]

Sherry learns to drive xmas

[IMG]

[IMG]

If I haven't posted enuff pics let me know :D ...but I'd hope you can see that mutts make smashing additions to any home! BTW, White Xmas's are overrated-- esp sans power, heat, proper food in store...
  20. muck4doo

muck4doo Well-Known Member

2,007 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    You're in the Phoenix area. Message me if you are serious about adoption. I know a guy near Phoenix who runs a rescue center from his home. Unfortunately they get more dogs than can be adopted, and it hurts him like hell that is so. He will steer you in the right direction. He's also a Cowboys fan, but doesn't post here as far as I know.