1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Looks like Eberflus might be staying as LB coach...

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by InmanRoshi, Jan 19, 2013.

1. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Chargers announced they're retaining Joe Barry.

FWIW, Eberflus reportedly impressed Kiffin in his interview, and he installed and ran the Tampa 4-3 scheme for years when he was DC at Mizzou.
  2. noshame

noshame Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,919 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    I like this.
  3. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

2,723 Messages
    852 Likes Received
    I was worried that eberflus was going to join that hairy, fat, loud-mouth that he came with to dallas...I hope that he stays, he is very good for the staff....
  4. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

46,923 Messages
    1,820 Likes Received
    That sounds great!
  5. Erik_H

Erik_H Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun. Zone Supporter

2,415 Messages
    50 Likes Received
    I figure that nugget about him running the 4-3 is worth quite a bit. Combine that with the fact that Ryan didn't actually get the Rams job, and out defensive staff might be set.
  6. jobberone

jobberone Save the Snow Leopard Staff Member

33,453 Messages
    1,819 Likes Received
    He may realize he can forge his own brand. Hope he stays.
  7. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Reportedly when he decided to shift Mizzou to a Tampa 2, he went to a lot of clinics hosted by the Lovie and Tony Dungy to learn the system. He's probably networked quite a bit with Tampa 2 NFL coaches.

I was never concerned about him leaving Dallas for Ryan. a) He's under contract, and couldn't go anywhere unless the Cowboys let him. b) Rob Ryan may not have had any power in St. Louis to bring in his own staff working under two already established DC coaches in Fisher and McGinnis who have already implemented their own system and staff. c) Eberflus might not necessarily want to hitch his coaching career wagon to a guy who seems to constantly wear out his welcome and is looking for his 4th DC job in the last 6 years.

The only question is if Dallas would choose/be able to get Barry to come over to coach LB's instead, since Barry has coached with Marinelli and Kiffin for years and years and is Marinelli's son-in-law.
  8. Cowboys22

Cowboys22 Well-Known Member

3,413 Messages
    181 Likes Received
    Seeing that Ryan doesn't have a job yet, he may have decided to secure himself instead of waiting and hoping.
  9. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,009 Messages
    906 Likes Received
    I'd like to see him stay. I thought he did a great job with the linebackers, especially considering the numerous challenges the group faced.
  10. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,179 Messages
    1,449 Likes Received
    Last night the local Espn Dallas guys were saying that we did want Barry but SD wouldn't let him out of his contact, so Eberflus was staying...
  11. Kilyin

Kilyin Well-Known Member

8,020 Messages
    222 Likes Received
    The DeMarcus Ware of coaches, at least, according to Rob Ryan. Although to some posters here, I guess that might not be taken as a compliment
  12. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,051 Messages
    519 Likes Received
    Here's another nugget; it makes sense since it's been reported that Jerry wants to surround Garrett with as many experienced coaches as possible.
  13. JPM

JPM Well-Known Member

5,655 Messages
    149 Likes Received
    I'm really loving the defensive staff they have put together.
  14. Funxva

Funxva Inventor of the Whizzinator

1,681 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    He only coaches in garbage time!
  15. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

30,050 Messages
    1,257 Likes Received
    He might be sick of hitching his car to the trainwreck known as Rob Ryan.
  16. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

18,998 Messages
    4,168 Likes Received
    You've earned yourself another pat on the head from the owner.

I just feel fortunate how everything is working out perfectly for the Cowboys.
  17. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,344 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    If I were an up and coming coach, and I had the option to hitch my career to Kiffen or RR, it would be a very easy choice.

Just looking at the Kiffen's coaching tree . . . .

I remember after undergraduate school (many moons ago), I went into finance. The one word of advice I never forgot was to find the most successful managing director at the firm and attach myself to his coattails (at least early on in my career).
  18. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

19,451 Messages
    352 Likes Received
    If Rob does end up with the Rams, he isn't going to have any of his assistants is he?
  19. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,520 Messages
    556 Likes Received
    That's good. I mean I'm not sure if he's more or less responsible for this than Rob is, but the LB play (especially given the injuries) was impressive.
  20. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

24,555 Messages
    401 Likes Received
    I don't how this shocks anyone. If I'm a guy like Eb, I see an opportunity to greatly expand my experience by working with a legend (and a really good coach in Marinelli as well)