1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Looks like Eberflus might be staying as LB coach...

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by InmanRoshi, Jan 19, 2013.

1. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,111 Messages
    470 Likes Received
    Great news he had the LBers playing some great football... I'm impressed with him!
  2. CowboysPhan

CowboysPhan Obsequious Cowboys Toadie

447 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    :lmao:
  3. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received

....I guess Fisher is gonna hire him for St. Louey if Rod shows up sober and sane. Hey, all joking aside that young Ram D' is GOOD....he fell into a good situation there.
  4. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,579 Messages
    516 Likes Received
    Pretty sure he is already with the Rams.
  5. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,378 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    Good, I really didn't want to lose Eberflus. Out of the defensive assistants Henderson and Eberflus were the two I wanted to keep.

I also liked Baker but if you add a guy like Rod Marinelli then that's enough said. This defensive staff is looking real good. Let's hope we can get the rest of the pieces player wise to be a great defense once again.
  6. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,178 Messages
    5,659 Likes Received
    more good news. hopefully something official happens soon before the beached whale wakes up from his nap.
  7. pancakeman

pancakeman Well-Known Member

1,921 Messages
    220 Likes Received
  8. Erik_H

Erik_H Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun. Zone Supporter

2,449 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    It also good to have some carry over rather than a complete turnover in staff. That way some guys know the players from personal experience and can share opinions. Saves time, can make evaluations better and might help mistakes from being repeated.

If it's Henderson and Eberflus staying on, I think that would be a good thing.
  9. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Wonder how high on the priority scale Ernie Simms is. He was drafted and coached by Marinelli in Detroit and played above expectations for Eberflus last year. Cowboys are going to need LB depth, Connor likely a cap casualty, McSurdy and Lemon too slow for the 4-3, and Lee/Carter both injury prone.
  10. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,178 Messages
    5,659 Likes Received
    sims, albright, wilber needs to step up, and i'm guessing one late FA addition or late draft pick/UDFA. not elite depth but serviceable.
  11. Erik_H

2,449 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I dont think it shocked anyone. It's just that Eberflus was touted heavily by Ryan and it was assumed that he was deep in his camp. Eberflus has also followed Ryan everywhere up to this point. Most figured a sense of friendship/loyalty would play a part. But like I mentioned in another post, the opportunity to hitch himself onto the Kiffen coaching tree could do wonders for his career.

The news that he's very familiar with the Tampa 2 is a big deal and something that wasn't widely known until the last few days.
  12. Erik_H

2,449 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    Ernie Sims would be good to keep. Depends on how his play this year affects his asking price. He may get a starting opportunity somewhere.
  13. Omegasupreme

Omegasupreme Member

248 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    And Tice ran that same obviated offense in Chicago that misused the talent, battered Cutler, claimed that the OLine needed upgrading, and that the Bears did not run the ball enough. The first game this past year on Monday night football was almost like the Phillips Firing Green Bay Destroying of the Dallas offense 41-7 where Dom Capers said "they just kept doing the same thing over and over so we kept blitzing". Cutler was completing passes basically because his receivers were going up and fighting for the ball despite being covered by 2 Packer players. Green Bay knew where the routes were going and had 2-3 DBs in place. The best Chicago success was when they ran the ball.

Sound familiar?
  14. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,790 Messages
    1,180 Likes Received
    I doubt it. He's a journeyman at this point and has serious health questions when it comes to concussions.
  15. Ultimategamer5567

Ultimategamer5567 Member

824 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    We're going to see a 4-3 linebacker drafted within the first four rounds. Book it.
  16. Kilyin

Kilyin Well-Known Member

8,041 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    ... x2
  17. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,143 Messages
    2,724 Likes Received

I think we keep Sims and he competes for a spot. The WLB spot in this defense is made for him. He might not be a starter, but he'd certainly be good depth. We definitely need some depth at LB too because I still see Albright as a DE in the Tampa 2 and Wilbur isn't really what you want as an OLB in this scheme. And you're right about McSurdy and Lemon, so I would think that keeping Sims would be a no brainer considering how relatively cheap he should be.

There going to have to use a late round pick or two on smaller, faster LB's as well.
  18. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received

...I've pointed out his concussion issue in here before and I don't know if guys just forget about it or don't realize how bad it is for Ernie but....I wouldn't count on him truthfully. (and I like Ernie, good guy and SOLID player but he shouldn't be counted on IMO)
  19. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,028 Messages
    5,380 Likes Received
    I'll take Ernie Sims with concussion issues over Dan Cover with talent issues all day every day and twice on Sundays.

Having said that, I would only want Sims for a very reasonable contract.
  20. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,556 Messages
    1,419 Likes Received
    Hazleton took DC job at Nevada.