1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Looks like Eberflus might be staying as LB coach...

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by InmanRoshi, Jan 19, 2013.

1. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received

.......as I said: I like him, just have concerns over the concussions. Conner has been a failure and we save money by waiving him I believe: he should be gone I'm hoping.
  2. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,621 Messages
    1,036 Likes Received
    Eberflus has been with Ryan since 2009 with Cleveland and Dallas. That really isn't following him everywhere. He followed him on one stop. I think that most of the time that one D-coord is fired, he ends up with some guys from his old staff working with him on the next stop.

Rob is working toward a 4th stop as D-coord. I don't think you want to, as a coach, follow someone on too many stops.

I also think people make a bit more out of the Tampa 2 experience than Kiffin does. I expect that he wants good, smart, dedicated coaches. As he's noted, it isn't a complex defense.
  3. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,621 Messages
    1,036 Likes Received
    I bet we get a mid-range guy in FA as well. However, if Connor will take a pay cut, he may fill that mid-range FA role
  4. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received

...I thought he was pretty good at the end of the season: I'd like to see Connor gone and think he will be. Wilber was drafted as a 3/4 LB'er but I sure hope he can run well enough to have a future here, just don't know. Strongly assume Spencer is gone as we can't afford him. (obviously Lee and Carter are the starters, I was just talking depth here)
  5. Erik_H

Erik_H Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun. Zone Supporter

2,453 Messages
    81 Likes Received
    Oh, I'm not disagreeing with you on how likely it is that he'd stay with Ryan (thanks for the clarification on how many stops, btw). Just saying that I don't think people are shocked that he may be staying here in Dallas.

The general feeling was that he would probably leave, but that was before his experience with the Tampa 4-3 became part of the discussion.

The thinking was (based on Ryan's expressive praise of Eberflus, I think) that Ryan and Eberflus were close and that they'd stick together. It seemed the more likely scenario at the time. The overall vibe I got was of disappointment that we'd probably lose a good young coach, followed by the good news that he might be staying. Sure, it made good career sense for Eberflus to tie himself to the Kiffen coaching tree, but who could guess about his relationship with Ryan?

The thing that tipped the balance in my mind was the info that he is not a novice in the Tampa 4-3. This makes him more attractive to Kiffen and the Cowboys.

When it comes down to it, I think I was only arguing the SHOCKED portion of your comment, which is a bit obnoxious on my part. I wasn't shocked, I was glad.

Just me being picky I guess. :D
  6. Erik_H

2,453 Messages
    81 Likes Received
    I also don't see Connor staying. As far as Sims goes, his concussion history does change things and actually could make it easier to keep him on in a back-up role. Personally, I'd see Albright as the Lead for SLB with Wilbur in the mix there. Of the 3 LB postions the SLB is the least important in the Tampa 2 D, which is good for us. I have to admit to being pretty excited to see Lee at MLB and Carter at WLB. Fingers crossed for health :D
  7. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,217 Messages
    2,849 Likes Received

I don't see Albright as an OLB in a Tampa 2 defense. Even as a SLB. Change of direction and speed are just too important at the OLB position to have a guy like Albright playing there.

Alex is 6-5, 260 lbs. That is 43 DE size... and his quickness is more like a 43 DE too.

Just look at Chicago's OLBs:

Starting WLB Lance Briggs - 6-1, 244
    Starting SLB Nick Roach - 6-1, 234
    Backup SLB J.T. Thomas - 6-1, 236
    Backup WLB Geno Hayes - 6-1, 226

Not one of their starting or backup OLB's are over 6-1. Briggs is the only one over 240 lbs., and that is being generous with his weight.

That is a typical group of 43 OLB's. If you looked at typical 43 DE's around the league, I bet you'd see a lot of guys around 6-5, 260... which is Albright's size.

He just isn't built like a LB we are going to need now that we are in a 43 scheme.

IMO, however, Albright is a good enough football player and good enough to go back to playing a 43 DE (that was his position at Boston College). I think he has a chance to be a very solid DE for us.
  8. brymatt94

brymatt94 Well-Known Member

494 Messages
    261 Likes Received
    Eberflus is an amazing coach. Hopefully when Kiffin retires, he can takeover as defensive coordinator. When you look at the guy who has the most control on the development of players like Bruce Carter and even Sean Lee, it could very well be Eberflus.
  9. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,632 Messages
    2,460 Likes Received
    This is looking more and more like the Cowboys have been thinking about a 2013 defensive staff for awhile now.
    Or else we are preposterously lucky.
    This is a very good looking staff
  10. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,708 Messages
    3,197 Likes Received
    I think you nailed it.

Albright isn't 4-3 OLB material.

Too large, too slow.

Need a guy on the strongside who's about 6'2 240 who can run a 4.55 40.
  11. Erik_H

2,453 Messages
    81 Likes Received
    Pretty good argument. I admit I was mostly going on various comments by Broaddus and Eatman as to where they projected Albright.
  12. ddh33

ddh33 Active Member

4,934 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Albright is big, but if you look at some of his numbers, you will find that he is fast and agile. I think he can play OLB in a 4-3.

As to Eberflus, I thought he was the best coach on the team last year when you consider what he had to work with and what he did with it. I am excited that he is staying.
  13. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,217 Messages
    2,849 Likes Received

Disagree on Albright, but I definitely agree on Eberflus. The guy is a terrific coach and he worked wonders with that unit last season. Imagine if he'd have had Lee and Carter all season long.

Hopefully he will this year.

Albright is pretty agile and fast... but he's less agile and slower than most 43 LB's. I'd rather have him be above average agility and speed for a DE than below average at LB. I think he's strong enough to hold at DE, but that would be my only worry.

Time will tell if I'm correct or not though.
  14. MichaelWinicki

32,708 Messages
    3,197 Likes Received
    I just like bustin your balls over Ryan.

Ryan's OK, I just don't see him being as good as his (mostly self-appointed) rep.
  15. MichaelWinicki

32,708 Messages
    3,197 Likes Received
    Can't see Albright being a 4-3 OLB.