1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Looks Like the Improve The Defense Side won the War.

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Vinnie2u, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Vinnie2u

Vinnie2u Well-Known Member

2,128 Messages
    435 Likes Received
    Before the draft we had the Draft Decastro and Konz crowd. The thinking was, improve the offensive line and become a offensive powerhouse.. Then you had the side that I belong to. Improve the defense or we'll never become a elite team. I guess when Jerry traded for pick #6 and gave up the 2nd rounder it showed that the organization was on the fix the defense side. 5 of 7 on defense hammered the point in.
  2. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,023 Messages
    2,258 Likes Received
    Yep.. Glad to see the Cowboys agreed with me and didn't like see'ing games over before halftime.
  3. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,915 Messages
    759 Likes Received

I too was a member of the fix the defense club! I'm just no so sure they did that...
  4. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,529 Messages
    9,690 Likes Received
    Congrats on being wrong.
  5. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,468 Messages
    838 Likes Received
    have seen any of your posts..do you like any of the picks?
  6. david smith

david smith New Member

12 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I was in the draft o-line crowd. Then I remembered that after our last game aganst the giants our two starting cornerbacks were newmen and jenkins with a busted shoulder.
  7. newnationcb

newnationcb Well-Known Member

2,641 Messages
    337 Likes Received
    Yeah, he especially loved the Claiborne pick!

Also was overcome with Joy when someone opined that the signing of those FA guards and development of O-line draft picks from last year had something to do with why we didn't draft any.
  8. CowboyMike

CowboyMike Stay Thirsty, My Friends

5,218 Messages
    142 Likes Received
    Do you really need to ask that question, my friend? Is he ever happy about anything?
  9. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

11,080 Messages
    487 Likes Received
    Might be a win now but when Orton is starting players like DeCastro and Konz will start looking a whole lot better to some people
  10. Wezsh0T

Wezsh0T Well-Known Member

1,298 Messages
    148 Likes Received
    I know we had to fix the defense in a bad way, but I really wanted them to draft an interior OL first. I think that's the one glaring weakness on offense. It seemed more convenient to pretty much fix one complete side and then work on the other in the rest of the draft.

However, I mostly like the way we went about addressing the defense. I still wish we had a space-eating NT, but know that if the defense was even a little bit better last year, we easily make the playoffs.
  11. seamus18

seamus18 Active Member

227 Messages
    60 Likes Received
    I really like the defensive strategy of this draft. People were screaming and crying about not addressing the O-Line. I'm all for giving my man Tony Romo the best protection we can, but we drafted 3 O-linemen last year, brought in 2 free agents and have a second year center that probably can do nothing but improve. Were we going to give up on the 2011 draft this quickly? Let's trust in the process. I love the fact that this seemed to definitely be a Jason Garrett/Rob Ryan themed draft more than a Jerry themed draft. Let them get the players they want and need and see what happens. Can't be all bad. I wish all the picks the best.
  12. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,023 Messages
    2,258 Likes Received
    Ill take my chances of us getting guys blocked up front vs stopping the QB's ou have to stop in the playoffs with the DB's and front 7 we had.

We got better at corner and we got more speed in the front 7.

We picked up 2 interior OL entering their prime so lets give them a chance before we declare they suck.

Plus there is always some good vets cut after the draft.
  13. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,436 Messages
    913 Likes Received
    I wanted the offensive linemen, but I knew the reality was Dallas was more focused on defense. The Cowboys had been saying it, especially concerning the secondary and pass rush, for a while.

When you see a few games where one play in the secondary is the difference between holding a lead and winning and blowing a lead, I can understand that being the focus.

Hope it all works out, and Romo is not at the mercy of a retooled line that includes two castoffs who prove unworthy of the coaching staff's faith.
  14. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,624 Messages
    3,151 Likes Received
    Either way I'm kinda pleased.

The team had many holes and I knew that it couldn't fix all of them with one draft.

The defense picked up some nice depth.
  15. Trace1015

Trace1015 Member

415 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Garrett is set on fixing the defense....the offense was never the problem
  16. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    I really wish the team could have found either a legitimate guard or legitimate center either in FA or through the draft.

I just can't stomach another season of putrid OL play.

Given the way Free played, I think Dallas had 4 question marks along the OL.

They have 3-1/2 now. I'm warming on Livings but I have my doubts still.
  17. seamus18

seamus18 Active Member

227 Messages
    60 Likes Received
    I believe switching Free to the right side again and Smith to the left is going to work out really well. We will see.
  18. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    They both had problems.

Scoring wise the offense was 15th and the defense was 16th.
  19. tupperware

tupperware A Plastic Container

7,269 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    Hopefully the opportunity to actually get freaking interceptions now means more opportunities and points for this offense. Again, hopefully, Romo throwing an INT isn't a kill shot..

Wished we had of picked up an OL in the draft but oh well, we'll see. I'm stoked about the defense being COMPLETELY revamped.
  20. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

11,080 Messages
    487 Likes Received
    Not gonna speak for the Panthers backup but i've seen enough of Livings to say he sucks. it would be nothing short of a miracle if he was half way decent here