1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Recommended Loss Forensics: Romo vs. the League's Top QB

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by percyhoward, Jul 3, 2014.

1. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

8,362 Messages
    2,267 Likes Received
    We don't have to speculate about anything. 3rd down conversion % tells you what happened on 18% of Dallas' offensive plays, and completely ignores the other 82%. And I included first down % along with big plays in the OP specifically in anticipation of your comment. I get the feeling you didn't read the OP, or didn't understand that part of it.
    casmith07 likes this.
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

76,942 Messages
    2,761 Likes Received
    Romo post season numbers is 80 out of 135 with 4 TD and 2 ints.
  3. percyhoward

8,362 Messages
    2,267 Likes Received
  4. Super_Kazuya

Super_Kazuya Well-Known Member

1,700 Messages
    858 Likes Received
    And if he doesn't bring them back in the other games, then it doesn't matter. Same old simple Simon Section000.
    casmith07 and 5Stars like this.
  5. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,615 Messages
    4,885 Likes Received
    Nothing beats the smell of a Romo thread in the late afternoon.
  6. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,764 Messages
    851 Likes Received
    Go to NFL.com or Pro Football Reference and do a comparison.
  7. gmoney112

gmoney112 Well-Known Member

3,120 Messages
    465 Likes Received
    The 2007 team was the only team in recent memory who even had a shot at the Super Bowl. That was a good team, mainly in part to a dominant offensive line and a front 7 on defense that teams actually feared. Having TO out wide certainly helped too.

If you want to place blame in that game, place it on Patrick Crayton's butter fingers, Glenn's hobbled leg, and us not running the ball enough when we were destroying them on the ground. Romo played well enough to win that game, if you can watch that game objectively and still say Romo lost it, well that's certainly your opinion, but I believe it's incorrect.

Plus, you're definitely taking away from the Giants when you say "Romo laid an egg". They had a historical run in those playoffs and played their butts off. I hate the Giants but when you beat Tom Brady's undefeated Patriots in the Super Bowl, the stars have aligned for you.
    LandryFan and cml750 like this.
  8. Doomsday101

76,942 Messages
    2,761 Likes Received
    One thing 3rd down conversions do not tell is distance. If you are facing 3rd and 2 chances are you will convert more often than the team with 3rd and 7 or longer. In that 3rd and short defense has to pretty much play honest pass and run, in 3rd and longer situation defense pretty much knows you have to throw to convert and so they will call blitzes and zone blitzes.
  9. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

1,819 Messages
    1,266 Likes Received
    The problem is that Romo never elevates his game in the win and go home games.Sometimes he's bad and sometimes he's average. I don't even pay much attention to his games as far as stats go until after Thanksgiving because I've seen it all before. He's good during the first few months of the year until the pressure gets to him. I'd love to see him play a game like he had against Denver in one of those late season games. Aside from the interception. lol And you're right about that. Romo hasn't always had a defense this bad. He's always had a pretty good offense although Garrett's playcalling at time sucks. And no It's not all Romo's fault but he is part of the problem.
    LatinMind likes this.
  10. Nation

Nation Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,413 Messages
    909 Likes Received
    Neither site has Elimination Games as a category anywhere
  11. percyhoward

8,362 Messages
    2,267 Likes Received
    I think people sometimes fall into the trap of thinking a conversion on 3rd is somehow worth more than a conversion on 1st or 2nd.
    LandryFan likes this.
  12. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,706 Messages
    1,791 Likes Received
    You missed the point. Im not arguing the fact that he didnt win the superbowl. Im saying Dallas has had teams that couldve won the superbowl. Because people seem to think that Dallas has had defense like 2012-2013 for Romos entire career.
  13. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,706 Messages
    1,791 Likes Received
    What i dont understand is why he struggles so much in cold weather games. He's from wisconsin and went to eastern illinois. Is he a diva?
  14. percyhoward

8,362 Messages
    2,267 Likes Received
    How many TD?
  15. Doomsday101

76,942 Messages
    2,761 Likes Received
    I think moving the chains be it 1st down or 3rd down is important and while 3rd down conversation are not the be all stat it is important to keep the drive going. Last season Dallas 180 attempts was the fewest of any team in the NFL and we converted 35 percent league avg around 37 percent. One thing I would like to say though is those conversations become a lot more critical late in close games
  16. gmoney112

gmoney112 Well-Known Member

3,120 Messages
    465 Likes Received
    I believe the point of your post was to convey that the rest of the team was good enough to win that game, and Romo simply botched it. I disagreed and pointed out several reasons why that conclusion would be incorrect. That's all.
    LatinMind likes this.
  17. Doomsday101

76,942 Messages
    2,761 Likes Received
    Despite those numbers, David Moore of the Dallas Morning News did offer up a defense of Romo in December in this piece. Here is an excerpt:

“The direction of Romo’s arrow does not always determine success. Remember all the injuries the Cowboys’ defense endured in the final five games of last season? The arrow was definitely pointing down on that front.

“Romo actually has some pretty good numbers in December. Green Bay’s Aaron Rodgers is the only other quarterback with a higher December rating the last four seasons. Romo was outstanding last December until a brutal performance against the Washington Redskins in the season finale.”

Source: http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/gri...into-Play-Monday-234619261.html#ixzz36RTLRn5F
  18. dstovall5

dstovall5 Well-Known Member

2,647 Messages
    1,720 Likes Received
    Wilson has a ring because he wears a Seattle Seahawks jersey, and that's the only reason. Also to even bring up that Denver game is just foolish, Romo played lights out. That GB game Romo did throw two terrible interceptions, but do you think he throws those if we're running the ball? I think we can all agree that play calling was a huge deciding factor in that game.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/quarterbackRating

Every QB within the top 20 of the link I posted would've won last year with Seattle. Russel Wilson is a very good young QB, but he's not the reason that team wins games.
    cml750, Apollo Creed and 5Stars like this.
  19. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,265 Messages
    1,542 Likes Received
    OMG...lmao...you do that all the freaking time! You're actually the worse poster that does that. Your posts are long and full of stats or garbage to discredit Romo. smh
    DandyDon1722 and Carharris2 like this.
  20. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,706 Messages
    1,791 Likes Received
    Dallas last 4 drives in the 2007 playoffs game. Dallas had 5 2nd half possessions

3 plays for -3 yrds punt
    8 plays for 26 yrds punt
    6 plays for 5 yrds punt
    7 plays for 25 yrds int

Giants last 3 possessions

3 plays for 9 yrds punt
    3 plays for 2 yrds punt
    1 plays -1 yrds end of game

So its not like Dallas wasnt stopping them.