1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Lost amid the shuffle was the play of the defense

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by dargonking999, Dec 10, 2012.

1. dargonking999

dargonking999 DKRandom

11,806 Messages
    172 Likes Received
    was the play of the defense. This broken defense that came into the game with injuries in the double digits and held the bengals to one TD. I don't care how many dropped passes they had, how many bad play calls, coaching decisions, or whatever excuses you want to make. This defense came out onto the field minus everyone it seemed, guys were going down left and right, Safeties, CB's, LB's, our defense took hit after hit. But they lined back up and kept going.

They gashed us for a big play there was no one standing around pointing fingers saying your fault. They just lined back up and kept going. the line may have been getting held, but it didn't stop them from coming every play. The CB's may have been playing off by 15 yards but it didn't keep them from coming up each time trying to make a play. I don't care how sloppy they played, how bad the coverage was, how bad the play calling was, how hard it was for them to get 12 guys on the field. don't care. What I'm commending is the fight. a fight this team has rarely shown in the last 12 years.

You may hate Jason Garrett's mantra, but the next stepped up every time. They fought and fought and in the 4th quarter when we needed that stop, when we had to get the ball back, Anthony "almost" Spencer came busting through to get the sack. The game ball for this game goes to the defense. They fought tooth and nail with a team that marched up and down the field on them, but in the second half when plays needed to be made, and the Bengals needed to be stopped it was the defense stepping up to the plate and making the stop.
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    you better not expect teams to drop balls like the bungles did yesterday.
  3. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

6,003 Messages
    540 Likes Received
    I've been critical of JG all year-but have to admit I'm pretty impressed of how resilient they are. Refreshing after the excuse making days of Wade and cupcake crew.
  4. dargonking999

dargonking999 DKRandom

11,806 Messages
    172 Likes Received
    way to miss the point...
  5. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    no you missed the point. All those drops- any one or two caught and the game is lost

Yes considering the D's injuries they did as well as anyone could have expected.

But no way does it deserve the hyperbole you used
  6. JBell523

JBell523 That's my Quarterback

3,281 Messages
    505 Likes Received
    Pass rush came up big in the 4th quarter.
  7. jgboys1

jgboys1 Well-Known Member

3,845 Messages
    76 Likes Received
    ^^^ this^^^
    The one thing you can not say about this team this season, is that they do not quit. If you upgrade the personal on this team and they play hard like they have this season, good things should be expected for next season.
  8. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Sure glad we didn't cut Spencer and go with a rookie at SOLB.
  9. aikemirv

aikemirv Well-Known Member

7,088 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    Thats the truth. They did put nice pressure on the QB, I will give them that, but we benefited from a lot of dropped balls which possibly gave us the game. AJ Greens drop would have made a TD necessary at the end. That said we dropped a couple as well, if you want to call AUstins a drop which I would not really. He looked like he was sprinting all out on that one and Romo was a bit long.
  10. dargonking999

dargonking999 DKRandom

11,806 Messages
    172 Likes Received
    no I didn't miss the point, because i'm the one who made it.

I simply said they showed fight. Yes the bengals dropped passes but at the end of the day, that defense never quit. They fought with those WR's and and they kept coming after dalton, forcing those mis read's, keeping those WR's uncomfortable. This was not Something we have been far accustomed to this last decade. they never stopped coming. The reason why Andy Dalton took that sack on Spencer was because guess what? They were actually covering guys up down the field. No the defense didn't play great, or even good, yes if they catch some of those passes we lose the game. But that defense never stopped fighting, when given every reason to stop. They had every excuses in the book. and they didn't. That was the point.
  11. sunbum

sunbum Active Member

801 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    just like injuries are part of the game, so are miscues and teams executing better than the other.

I was pleasantly surprised how our Dfense stepped up and a fan who is not able to recognize, you're robbing yourself of what this is all about - enjoying your team's victory.
  12. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

38,249 Messages
    4,192 Likes Received
    Nice post. We need more of that around here.
  13. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I am thrilled with the win.

And if we're talking about dropped passes, in the 1st Qtr we also had two back to back drops - Austin and then Dez on 3rd down. Followed by a horrible punt.

I think we played tough and earned the win.
  14. Mansta54

Mansta54 Well-Known Member

9,691 Messages
    211 Likes Received
    Oh he's got to add a negative side it. Unbelievable!!!:rolleyes:
  15. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

7,095 Messages
    1,365 Likes Received
    Ah.. a homer turning into a realist I see. Nice.
  16. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Do we counter with a win if any of the 3-4 drops we had were caught?
  17. aikemirv

aikemirv Well-Known Member

7,088 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    I always enjoys my teams victories, probably more than most. I don't see why seeing that we were fortunate makes it so I am robbing myself of the enjoyment of it.

All I can say is that if that were Miles or Dez that dropped that pass I would not have slept much last night. That would have been a brutal drop to stomach!
  18. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,843 Messages
    2,046 Likes Received
    Sure glad Spencer finally decided to make a play or 2.
  19. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,724 Messages
    253 Likes Received
    Drops against us ave out. RGIII was throwing balls way behind recievers, throwing balls that should have been tipped..........and they were caught for big gainers........Cinn Qb threw balls that should've been caught and were dropped.....Romo has done the same all season......ave's out. A routine catch here and there in alot of the close games we've had would equate to an extra win......or 2 even.

its sports........in the long run its a game of averages, things even out. Austin and OTree drop their share and some games catch their share......
  20. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

6,003 Messages
    540 Likes Received
    I'm surprised how critical people are being of this team considering the injuries, circumstances around the last 72 hours and the team they played.

I thought it was an awesome effort-Cowboys fans have become so bloody cynical, it's a shame really.