1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Lost in the shuffle

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by john van brocklin, Jan 11, 2013.

1. john van brocklin

john van brocklin Captain Comeback

1,588 Messages
    250 Likes Received
    With all the hoopla over the Ryan firing and the mystery over who might be the new DC and OC, no one is talking about how putrid our Special Teams play was this past season.

How do most feel about this ? Do we stand pat ?

Most of all, do you think Jerry stands pat ?
  2. cannonball44

cannonball44 Stephen Peterman's Campaign Manager

567 Messages
    100 Likes Received
    we just needed a new punter, and harris has the KR/PR duties so we should be fine.
  3. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,771 Messages
    710 Likes Received
    Kinda hard to judge the ST's this year. With all the injuries and new players coming in, there was constant change on the ST's. Not easy to keep plugging new players in every week.
  4. EPL0c0

EPL0c0 The Funcooker

5,044 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    Dallas did find a few guys this year: Harris, though if his role as a WR increases, who knows if we keep seeing him on ST.

But I think a couple of guys stood out on ST, notibly Eric Frampton. That guy seemed to always be in/around the play on coverage.
  5. lane

lane The Chairman

11,070 Messages
    913 Likes Received
    alex albright and harris saved his job.
  6. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,561 Likes Received
    We can still do better than Coach D.
  7. cannonball44

cannonball44 Stephen Peterman's Campaign Manager

567 Messages
    100 Likes Received
    we can do better than a lot of the coaches we have, to be honest.
  8. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

32,023 Messages
    7,761 Likes Received
    People don't understand what ST coaches are up against, especially with the roster churn we had this season.
  9. Shinywalrus

Shinywalrus Active Member

1,740 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Fixed!
  10. HowAboutThemCowboys

HowAboutThemCowboys Well-Known Member

3,171 Messages
    742 Likes Received
    Doesn't sound like there is much stiff competition for his job
  11. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

9,014 Messages
    2,031 Likes Received
    they have a punter. His name is Chris Jones he was hurt. Thats why mooreman was brought in
  12. Proximo

Proximo Well-Known Member

1,220 Messages
    923 Likes Received
    How was the Special Teams play "putrid"?? This seems to be a common thought amongst many Cowboys fans, but I'm pretty sure we had one of the best coverage units in the league, Harris was in the top 5 as a Punt Returner, and our Field Goal kicker was as money as you can be (with the exception of missing one game winner). Our replacement punter struggled at times, but he was a replacement. And it's not as though Mooreman was the worst in the league.
  13. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,181 Messages
    4,615 Likes Received
    We lost a lot of our STs guys. I really don't know how good Coach D is. I suspect he's pretty good. It's difficult for me to get too excited about the STs when the overall talent level esp those playing STs is subpar. When a coach takes players off the street and has decent STs then I tend to look elsewhere.

This team had a non-winning record because it could not force enough turnovers, didn't score enough points and couldn't get off the field on third down.
  14. john van brocklin

1,588 Messages
    250 Likes Received
    We gave up three special teams touchdowns, the one against the Ravens was the differance in us losing that game. So I guess I should clarify I am talking our coverage units, they were unacceptably bad.
    Can anyone here remember the last time we gave up three special teams touchdowns ?
  15. john van brocklin

1,588 Messages
    250 Likes Received
    Still lost in the shuffle ! LOL !