1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Lots of speculation RG3 has a torn ACL

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Zordon, Jan 7, 2013.

1. SkinsHokieFan

SkinsHokieFan Active Member

2,209 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    Ouch. Hopefully you have had a full recovery!

And I am a Redskins fan, of course I am going to take an optimistic view :)

Truth is, we have no idea how he'll perform or if he will have the explosive ability he showed this year again. I am hopeful he is back to 100 percent sooner then later, but again, I have never had surgery nor performed one
  2. 1fisher

1fisher Active Member

5,654 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    Good info, KMD! My questions is, does the bone attach to the graft that is pulled through the hole and if the graft gets torn again can it heal itself?
  3. 1fisher

1fisher Active Member

5,654 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    I was fortunate in a way. I tore the meniscus and the ACL at the same time. I had a scope to clean up the meniscus and clean out the knee. Shortly after that I started rehab/prep for the ACL replacement which took place 8 months later. I used hydraulics and electronic shock treatments to strengthen the knee. Surgery went well and I was back to normal...... until I started playing softball and flag football. Now I have bone to bone and it's not fun. Supartz injections are keeping me from getting total knee replacement.
  4. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

6,744 Messages
    1,430 Likes Received
    i agree that i was surprised by what he said, but this is in fact what he said

maybe he meant to say 2/3 dont come back @ 100%, i dont know
  5. NIBGoldenchild

NIBGoldenchild Member

902 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Or, you're being hopeful that he doesn't recover.

Basing your hopes on doctor's minority opinion isn't exactly logical.
  6. kmd24

kmd24 Active Member

3,436 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yes, the graft will eventually attach to the bone and new tissue will grow. My medical experience is as a researcher, I'm not a ortho surgeon or any kind of orthopedic doctor, so I don't know all the details. IIRC that's the reason for the tunnel. The bones will attach to the tendon in a couple of ways (Sharpey's fibers and fibrocartilage formation, I think). In general, the blood flow to ACL's is pretty low, which is why they will often graft even when it's only a partial tear. I don't know how or if the blood flow changes for grafts.

But yeah, we're pretty far out of my meager depth at this point.
  7. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

4,277 Messages
    144 Likes Received

I’m not surprised at all.

As I said, the majority of players are bubble players. Any adversity puts them outside the bubble looking in.

I guarantee, The percentage of 1st round picks that don’t return is closer to 0% then 67%