1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Louis Riddick: Senior Bowl Observations

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jan 20, 2014.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,233 Messages
    7,064 Likes Received
    Louis Riddick ‏@LRiddickESPN 2h
    Sitting here in Mobile/AL waiting for the weigh-in to begin for the Reese's Senior Bowl.
    Within NFL organizations, this is the point where many other people get involved in the college scouting process in a significant way... ....which is not necessarily a good thing.

If you want long, rangy CB's in the mold of Sherman, Maxwell, Thurmond, etc., this is the draft to find one AND develop one. ...and I strongly emphasize "develop", because that is where teams like the Seahawks are pulling away from the rest of the league.

The comfort that the objective data, the numbers, provides in the scouting process is something that can't be allowed to "take over" now.

As the prospects for the 2014 draft begin to get weighed, measured, interviewed, etc, CONTEXT must be emphasized. Amazed at how quickly......that seems to be forgotten.

Watching those kids walk across the stage this morning at weigh-in, I can tell you..football will be played "above the rim" more and more.
    The days of the sub-5'10" CB are over.
  2. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,281 Messages
    709 Likes Received
    I agree with Riddick,how many times have our Lilliput CBs failed to make the play because they were too short.
    Common Sense likes this.
  3. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,780 Messages
    5,935 Likes Received
    I totally agree. Thhe Cowboys should try to add big, tall DBs. I didn't really understand the Webb pick from last year. If they're going to spend time developing a CB, it would be better to do it with a bigger player.
  4. Leadbelly

Leadbelly Well-Known Member

816 Messages
    321 Likes Received
    Especially if the refs are going to allow Seahawks-level muggings all game. Stanley Jean-Baptiste of Nebraska is one of my favorites at CB (or FS).

That said, I think the slot corner is going to still put a premium on quickness over size/speed. I would guess that was the thinking with Webb.
    newnationcb and Common Sense like this.
  5. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,144 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    I've always been a proponent of bigger CB's.
  6. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

9,006 Messages
    2,028 Likes Received
    Yeah i like the Roberson kid from florida. He plays high and plays man and zone. Good change of direction too.
  7. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,389 Messages
    1,415 Likes Received
    I've been saying this for the last 2 years.

That and safeties are more important than corners. More responsibility, asked to do more things, less expensive, etc.

YR
  8. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,207 Messages
    2,802 Likes Received
    As long as there are slot receivers like Welker, Beasley, Woodhead, etc. then there will be a place for a 5'10" corner like Webb.

Still, the NFL is trending towards taller WR's and Corners, for sure.
    Future likes this.
  9. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,605 Messages
    361 Likes Received
    Stanley Jean Baptiste
  10. Marktui

Marktui Active Member

1,200 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Don't care about size, as long as they can cover and stay healthy is all I want.
  11. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,153 Messages
    4,601 Likes Received
    Receivers are getting taller and bigger. You're going to have to get some taller and hopefully bigger DBs. Been saying this. And they have to tackle well including coming up and supporting the run.
  12. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,558 Messages
    1,815 Likes Received
    Agree that you need tall guys...

But give me a 5' 10" guy with ball skills over a 6'3" guy who is lost when the ball is in the air every time.
  13. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,501 Likes Received
    Webb was drafted as a nickel corner. Not a bad pick at all where he was selected.

He won't be Sherman but who is.