1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Lovie Smith Fired.

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by jgboys1, Dec 31, 2012.

1. jgboys1

jgboys1 Well-Known Member

3,711 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    Just heard on Sirius NFL radio, Lovie Smith Fired.
  2. gmb85

gmb85 Active Member

1,486 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I wish we could get him
  3. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

...the man can coach: especially defensively: he was there roughly 10 yrs and they tuned him out toward the end IMO...problem is offense with Lovie: he isn't much for coaching it at all.....he could get hired in Philly to straighten things out iMO....wouldn't be a bad fit either if he got a good OC. That hire would not make me happy as a Cowboys fan:eek:
  4. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,613 Messages
    578 Likes Received
    Now THAT's a coach I want us to get

I actually mentioned this exact scenario way early in the season. There were rumors a couple years ago that Jerry loves Lovie.
  5. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

7,833 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    That one surprises me.
  6. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,310 Messages
    6,288 Likes Received
    I think that's a mistake by the Bears. Good coach. He needs talent along the OL like we do.
  7. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Love to have him as the DC though we be running a form of the Tampa 2 since he is a student of Dungy. His defenses have always created turn overs though and I think Lee and carter would thrive in his LB friendly scheme and I have no doubt that Ware can play DE in that system. Ratliff would thrive if healthy in a warren sap type role and put a big fat body next to him.

Funny we call it a Tampa 2 but Dungy really started it in Minnesota as the DC

I would welcome changing back to a 4-3; never been a big fan of the 3-4 yes I know it is not the defense that matters. II would say it just fits seeing Dallas running a 4-3 kind of like Pittsburgh running a 3-4.
  8. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,439 Messages
    1,440 Likes Received
    that was a suprise
  9. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,890 Messages
    625 Likes Received
    10-6 isn't good enough in that division but 8-8 is here. Oh well. Like Lovie but living here in Chicago now, I think people were ready for a change.
  10. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    his ridiculously silly OC picks doomed him.
  11. Tricked

Tricked Fascinated

660 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    yeah i thought so as well, but also considering the lead his team blew, imagine if dallas had the same season as the bears...
  12. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,666 Messages
    2,391 Likes Received
    Sickening, isn't it?

Sad that .500 is now all well and good as long as the players try real hard.
  13. montgod

montgod Active Member

1,846 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Would def hope that JJ at least gives him a call asap for the DC position at the very least if indeed Garrett is safe. Sorry Rob Ryan...
  14. Blast From The Past

Blast From The Past Member

872 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    A Texas boy for sure and a good coach. Shame he was fired but in the NFL you gotta do something other than win in the regular season.
  15. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,890 Messages
    625 Likes Received
    Yup. Gone are the 70s, part 80s and 90s where expecting excellence was the norm. Now its "we are .500 fro 16 years but we are almost there, have great pieces and try hard."
  16. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,171 Messages
    784 Likes Received
    Yep. Same team that dismantled our "great leaders offense" wasn't it? At home, on Monday night, in front of the entire country.
  17. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,136 Messages
    1,875 Likes Received
    The only reason that team was competitive was because of the defense.

If they take any sort of hit in that area, they'll be one of the worst teams in the league.

I'd bring him in just to try and figure out how he gets his defenses to get as many takeaways as they do.
  18. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,171 Messages
    784 Likes Received

Don't forget fantastic ST's! One of the best. Offense has always been Lovie's problem. Seems he and Garrett have a lot in common. :D
  19. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,665 Messages
    666 Likes Received
    His team has missed the playoffs 5 of the last 6 years. That's the guy you want? A lot of Bears fans out there would disagree with you.
  20. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received

Was looking to see just how bad of a job Tice did this season as OC.

Surprising stuff.

Points per game-
    Dal- 23.5 Chi-23.4

Redzone %
    -Dal 51% Chi 50%

Rushing
    Dal 31st Chi 10th

And this man got fired for picking crappy coordinators! He went 10-6 while we have Baghdad Jerry snowballing us. Unbelievable.